The Economist: GOP = Ship of Fools

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Bernard, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

The other West Mall thread titled "How Obama Got Elected" reminded me of this article in The Economist: Ship of Fools

2. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

pretty good article- quote]During the primary debates, three out of ten Republican candidates admitted that they did not believe in evolution.

3. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

I agree 100%. As a party, the GOP has allowed its tripartide base of national security conservatives, fiscal conservatives/libertarians and social conservatives fracture. The problem is clearly that the social conservatives consolidated too much power and insisted on advancing a social agenda, regardless of expense and irrespective of the body politic's desire for the agenda in question. The national security conservatives themselves fractured, overwhelmed by their neocon faction -- forcing gentlemen like Powell and Baker to leave the mainstream of the party (at least for awhile). The fiscal conservatives/libertarians essentially got left behind. The neocons ran up terrible deficits to support their wars and increased defense research. The soc cons supported them in exchange for their support, essentially kicking the libertarians out. Problem is: that is where the great thinkers of conservative thought have always truly resided.

Most certainly this is an oversimplification. But clearly the old guard "Goldwater" era Republican is out in this era. The question is where does he go? Where do I go? The Democrats? For all of the faults of the modern GOP, there are still some like minded people to my interests, I doubt there are any in the Democratic Party. The Libertarian Party sounds ideal. Problem is the crazy wing of that faction will always drown out any voice of moderation with insane nonsense like returning to the Gold Standard. For the Libertarians to be a real option, major conservative voices and pols will need to switch allegiances and bring followers along to moderate the pool somewhat.

Which leaves me where I started. I will continue as I have done for the past 4 years to attend party events and try and advance an agenda for a true reduction in government and advocating a restoration of federalism in this country. Maybe after the recent election, someone will listen.

4. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

I agree with most of it.

5. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

Wesser -- As a libertarian minded fiscal conservative myself. I voted democratic this election. If for no other reason to send a message to the Replican party to remind them that were supposed to dance with the ones who brung 'em

6. Fatcat Alum

Fatcat Alum 100+ Posts

I wouldn't have phrased it quite that way but I tend to agree with the article. I've thought for a while that today's GOP is a coalition defined by its support of all kinds of wishful thinking, where you can believe whatever you want, no matter how stupid it may be. If you want to believe that God created the earth 4,000 years ago, evolution is false, global warming wasn't happening, you can invade a Middle Eastern country and liberal democracy will sprout, cutting taxes will increase tax revenue no matter what, deficits don't matter, banks can regulate themselves and won't take undue risks, etc. etc.- the GOP is the place for you. No one will hold up your cherished beliefs to any sort of scrutiny, no matter how much evidence to the contrary arises.

7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Wesser: Agree with you 100 %

8. pevodog

pevodog 1,000+ Posts

The main problem the Republicans have is that it has been sixteen years since the democrats have had absolute power and thirty years since they have had majorites like they will have in January. The grass is always greener on the otherside. The democrats are facing several potential potholes that can turn this whole thing into democrats:ship of fools.

One example,the democrats are under enormous pressure from the unions to pass 'card check' rules for unionization. Thiswill be a waterloo issue with the young/educated/professional, i.e see UAW.

9. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts