The ESPN.com True Freshman All-America Team

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by NB_LONGHORN, Dec 17, 2015.

1. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

2. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

The future is bright. Pulling for CS and his first class to get us to the top.

3. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

That is quite a tribute to Strong's recruiting class and the quality coaching that developed the guys skills sufficiently, and put them in position to shine.

I do hope it bodes well for the future, and that more will be coming this February.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Not to rain on anyone's parade but, we had two true freshmen All Americans...on the offensive line!!!

By the way, who was the coach of our OL and where is he now? We got rid of a great coach. I'm just saying...

5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I agree that Wick was an excellent OL coach. He has the resume to back that belief up. But that doesn't mean he would be the best coach moving forward with the new OC.

Gilbert has seen enough of his O line coach to have great confidence in him, and know that the philosophy from him down will be followed and coached unequivocally. Also, I think Wick's recruiting energy was low, according to various reports. Gilbert and his man are hot on the recruiting trail 24/7.

• Like Like x 2
  6. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

No, you are trying to rain on the parade. Absolutely no point in your post other than to damper the good news. Wickline was good, but Williams and Vahe were great talents when they came in the door. We have no reason to think Mattox won't do as good a job.

7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Give Wickline some credit too, Williams and Vahe still needed to be developed and their talent didn't stop us from having one of the worst OL in the country early in the season.

8. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

Of course. I'm talking to Debbie Downer up there that will look for a negative when there is no point in doing so other than to be a douche.

9. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Ricky, usually those who resort to name calling lack the ability to engage in an honest, intellectual discussion. I hope that you are not one of those people.

Back to Wickline, I believe that he got a raw deal or, in a best case analysis, he was a casualty of a decision that needed to be made. People tend to forget that when Wickline was hired, the consensus was that this was arguably the best OL coach in the business. Probably 99% of those on this board were giddy about the hire. This year he produced 40% of the true freshmen O-Line All Americans in all of college football. That is a somewhat astounding feat. To suggest that he was not instrumental in their development and success is to deny reality and, to question the removal of such a highly touted and demonstrably successful coach -- as I have done -- is legitimate, and appropriate.

Many want to hitch their wagon to the flavor of the month. I'm not one of them. Perhaps you are. That doesn't mean that I don't want for our new OL coach to succeed. I do. Badly. But, Wickline performed beyond expectations, and those expectations were plenty high.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the lesson.

Point is, there was no point to rain on the parade. Start a new thread about Wickline, it's a worthy topic.

11. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

:bevo::hookem: :texasflag: