The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Deep State after the Bibi?

3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Good that it turned out to be corn starch, but now apparently Obama's office got one, too. Basically everyone's playing with morons on their team.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

5. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

I think you have confused the sugar overdose of the Obama government spending spree and QE with private companies committed to new capital investment. One is constrained by market forces and faces a serious downside, and one is...uh...the government spending others' money.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Typical left wingers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

To be fair both sides of the aisle have to deal with these crackpots.

8. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Reminds me of when I'm coming in to work late or leaving early and I'm bumping into someone else and I say "you're late/early, slacker!". Tongue in/and cheek and all. :)

9. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Inflation is higher than expected and the market is booming again. Who can figure this **** out?

10. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

The market is continuing to increase because of the inflation. It won't reset until Fed rates are increased. That is why market dropped recently, the Fed said they planned to increase their interest rates. The link is that the Fed will increase interest rates to reduce inflation.

11. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Heard an analyst on a podcast this week say that PE ratios haven't been this high since two of the last time we had SERIOUS "market corrections/stock market crashes".

12. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

One analyst I saw thinks that in June we will have a serious crash. Another analyst I saw thinks we'll have a bull market for quite some time.

13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Lord Switzer knows, I sure don't know. :)

14. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

If Switzer was a stockbroker he'd make Bernie Madoff look like a choir boy. :p

• Like Like x 1
  15. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

He married a young (relatively) liberal and makes me look like a neo conservative these days.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'd probably be liberal too if I was married to Switzer. He will have some fun with her, screw her up, and then ditch her. In other words, he'll treat her like he treated the Dallas Cowboys. It's enough to make anybody into a man-hating liberal feminist.

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Good 9m TedX talk on the origin of the phrase "fake news"
    IMO, how Trump took it from them and then beat them over the head with it is one of the greatest political stories of 2017

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Maybe it will actually happen this time?

Trump has proposed cutting all federal funds for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which funnels money to NPR and PBS, in his 2019 federal budget unveiled Monday. The Trump budget, rather than raising the issue of bias, simply asserts that the money is not necessary.

"CPB funding comprises about 15 percent of the total amount spent on public broadcasting, with the remainder coming from non-Federal sources," the propsal says, under a section titled "Justification."

"This private fundraising has proven durable, negating the need for continued Federal subsidies," the proposal continues, adding that NPR and PBS could make up the shortfall by "increasing revenues from corporate sponsors, foundations, and members."

19. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

The organization that coined the term "fake news" is the CIA. They did it in 1998-1999 in Russia to sway the Presidential election to Putin away from "less moderate" candidates. The fact that the US news media is now using it, tells you where they got it from and also where all the crazed anti-Trump rhetoric came from.

Remember, Trump is a life long Democrat, donated to the Clintons, and shares the same moral values as most of them. It is why I totally believe that there is a deep state that shapes more of the government than we would like to admit.

20. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

What does lugenpresse translate to? I own a few VW's but my German is limited to Hogan's Heroes.

America First has a historical significance as well.

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You left out the umlaut or failed to put an e after the u if an umlaut wasn't available. It's lügenpresse (or even more traditionally, lügenpreße). That's four years of "restaurant and grocery store German" talking. Lol.

To be fair, I haven't heard Trump use that term. I've only heard Richard Spencer use it, and in context, it was obviously a neo-Nazi reference. If an English speaker uses the German word, I think it's pretty clear that he's invoking Hitler, who also used it. Why else say it in German when there are English equivalents?

However, if an English speaker simply calls out the press as being wrong or dishonest about something, I don't see why that should be viewed as evoking Nazism. That's like saying, "the Nazis were good at building roads, so if you're good at those things, then you're evoking Nazism." There's nothing inherently Nazi-like about building roads or calling out the press when it gets something wrong. No, that doesn't mean he has been right every time he has done it.

22. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Fake news!
    The game's rigged! (he was as shocked as I was)
    America First!

23. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

You can always tell when Barry's run out of arguments or insightful comments.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That happens pretty quickly with Barry.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

NYT poll shows majority of Americans now support Republican/Trump tax reform
    51% of Americans now approve
    46% disapprove
    The approval rate was just 37% in Dec and then 46% in Jan
    Just 19% of Dems approve vs. 89% of Rs

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

More money in people's pockets, and the predicted apocalypse hasn't happened. L

• Like Like x 2
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ben Shapiro had the closing speech for Day 1 of CPAC
    His usual good effort
    Its ~21m

28. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Apocalypse as in debt? How fast can we accrue $1T? Weren't the estimates $1.4T over 10 years?

Of course, now the debt really starts to accrue quickly as we deficit spend for infrastructure, military and Dem pet projects.

I'll appreciate having more $ in my pocket while feeling sorrow for my children who will carry the burden of our lack of frugality and the ever increasing wealth disparity.

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You're sorta doing the same thing that we both hassled Garmel for doing. It's too early to judge the revenue effects of the tax bill. We don't know what they're going to be and won't know for some time.

And I'm not talking about predictions of a debt apocalypse. I don't see many people in either party caring about that. I'm talking about the 10,000 people per year who were allegedly going to die because of the bill.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

The tax revenue generated should be increased as a result of the massive spending. There are two caveats however. The first is interest rates. If rates keep rising, private borrowing will curtail, it will be more difficult to raise funds for construction projects, home building, car loans, and so on. If the Fed is forced to reconstitute QE to keep rates low, the dollar could weaken too much.