The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Link. Yes, it was Virginia.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

That Tweet could have been a little more coherent...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Thanks. I'd like to ask your for your personal opinion on this as a lawyer. Perhaps I'm wrong on this. What do you think of social media being considered a public forum?

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Let's say the President is giving a speech, gets heckled profanely and the Secret Service removes the heckler. Is this a violation of the heckler's Const rights?
    See https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/340/315.html

Blocking hecklers on Twitter is no different. If anything, blocking on Twitter is even less of a 1st Amendment "violation" than ejecting a heckler from a speech. Why? Because the heckler still gets to yell, it's just that the target does not have to listen to it.

In matters like this, what makes the most sense is usually, in the end, what carries the day. Here, what makes the most sense is that while a heckler has the right to speak no one else is under any obligation to listen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Most NeverTrumpers on the right are too egoistic to admit they were wrong

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

That's one way to spin it...it's all Obama's fault. Nobel one week...Obama's fault the next. At least you're consistent.

7. Seattle Husker

I think the Judge said that Trump should "mute" rather than "block". "Block" prohibits the user from seeing the posts, let alone from responding. "Mute" simply stops Trump from seeing the posts. The impacted user can still see/respond but the account owner has no visibility. "Mute" on Twitter is the equivalent of the block user function here on Hornfans.

You may ask yourself why Trump wants to "block" users rather than "mute" them. Yes, some of it is to inhibit the trolls but they aren't the users being blocked. The users being blocked are generally journalists/celebs that counter with factual based responses. Can't have Trumps factless emotionally charged tweets countered with facts.

8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Uhhh, wake up, Husker. Nobody was assigning blame. Rather the style of the two POTUS's is being compared.

Trump is willing to walk away from NOKO.
    Obama was desperate to not walk away from Iran.

It's a difference in negotiating styles. I'll give 10-1 odds Trump and Kim end up meeting before the summer is over.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

MSM reporters with facts? Isn't that an oxymoron?

10. Seattle Husker

The difference is that JoeFan is taking a victory lap for Trump either way. Summit or no summit...Trump wins. Really?

If you want to talk style differences, Trump took the victory lap prematurely all the while his critics pointing out that NoKo was not dealing anything they hadn't dealt previously and that the definition of "denuclearization" both sides were using we miles apart. Those criticisms are now being validated. Bolton and Pence go on TV to set the terms for their definition and NoKo says FU. Specifically, Bolton goes on National TV to say that Libya is the model for NoKo. The same Libya where Quadaffi gave up his nuclear ambitions and was deposed by US/UK air power10-15 years later. That puts us back to where we started before Trump's based was advocating for a Nobel Prize.

Meanwhile, Obama and the partners (China, Russia, UK, France and Germany) worked behind the scenes to hammer out a deal over multiple years before any victory laps.

What this is showing is that international relations are harder than it looks.

11. Seattle Husker

Only in bizarro world.

12. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

:lmao:

13. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

:facepalm:

14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't think you're wrong. I think it's a fair and open question with reasonable arguments both ways depending on the specifics. My inclination is to say, "it depends." If I was looking at the case, I'd look at a few things. First, is the social media account a government account or a personal account? I'd consider it a government account if it's the official account for a government officer or agency or if it's used to carry out official duties. I'd consider it a personal account if it's not a government account.

If it's a personal account, the inquiry ends. A social media user can block anybody he or she wants from his personal account for any reason or for no reason. If it's a government account, then I think the person has at least a qualified right not to be blocked. However, he doesn't have an absolute right, and he certainly doesn't have a heckler's veto. If he happens to have a different opinion, I think he has a right to express that. However, is he being abusive? Is he doing things that disrupt the official from being heard? Is he doing things that disrupt others who agree form being heard? If he is, then I think he can blocked even from a government account.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Seattle Husker

Here is the Twitter account in question. Trump is essentially using his personal account (@realDonaldTrump) and the official account (@POTUS) to conduct government business.

This tweet was posted moments ago on @realDonaldTrump the retweeted by @POTUS. Essentially, @realDonaldTrump is the primary account he's conducting his business and @POTUS (the official account that managed under government retention standards) is used as a retweeting engine.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  16. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Thank you. I've been collecting opinions from all the lawyers I know. Most of them lean toward this decision not surviving the appellate courts.

17. HANNAHORN

HANNAHORN 100+ Posts

At least Trump can now frame that Kim Jong Un / Trump North Korean Summit coin that the White House minted and hang it next to his fake Time magazine cover.

18. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

You really think this is the end of it? Looks like we have another brain-dead MSM zombie here.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HANNAHORN

HANNAHORN 100+ Posts

Sounds a lot like "Mission Accomplished" and "Great job Brownie".

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Anybody who assumes that the North Korea deal is dead or is sure to happen is engaging in wild speculation.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

North Korea doesn't have much in the way of leverage. They're going broke and China will not allow a nuclear NK just as we won't.

22. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Bush wasn't much of a leader. I'll give you that. However, when you have a president that thinks ISIS is the JV team you have a special kind of ignorance right there.

• Like Like x 2
  23. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I thought Bush was a fine leader ... not a very good conservative as it turns out (bailouts in '07/'08) ... but he did a fine job post 9/11 ... then he brought us the TSA. I got hookwinked on that one.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

North Korea is now saying they are willing to sit down and talk. Guys, this is nothing more than a poker game between two leaders. Knowing both of their egos you know they're going to be comparing dick sizes soon.

25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It shouldn't be a victory lap. The deal was not made with North Korea but the optimism was legitimate. I think the point about Trump walking away was possibly the courage/discipline displayed to realize it was not going to be in our best interests to continue down this path as opposed to cutting an impotent deal and then taking a victory lap. I think that's already happened with North Korea as they have violated agreements in the past.

26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think their leverage is scaring the crap out of the rest of us.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

North Korea isn't going to launch a nuclear weapon at us so don't worry. Kim wants to live just as we do. He knows he would be killed if he did.

28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I agree with that but nobody wants that scenario or be the one where the nuke lands so I think that is the leverage.

29. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I think the TRULY special kind of ignorance is displayed by the people who are still Obama fanboys.

30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Obama tended to say what he needed to say in the moment. Classic politician who knew his base would never challenge him. He mocked Romney for "cold war thinking" then later called ISIS the JV as you said. Major conflict and wrong on both counts.

• Like Like x 2