The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

CBS could have made that poll a lot more relevant if they hadn't lumped all the "bad idea" responses together. Because there are plenty of people who think it's a bad idea not because they disagree with the sentiment, but because they don't think it will work, or they don't think it will ever be accomplished and is a waste of money and energy in the meantime.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Supreme Court shoots down California law that required crisis pregnancy centers to tell women where they can get cheap abortions. Link.

• Like Like x 2
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

How was that a 5-4 decision? Heard Kennedy (or Thomas) threw it down.

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The liberal wing of the Court framed it as a medical disclosure issue, which makes it a form of commercial speech, which states can regulate to a point. (That's why lawyers have to include certain information in their ads and can't directly solicit clients if they are going to charge for their services.)

Of course, previous liberal justices and voted to strike down disclosure requirements on abortion providers.

Kennedy threw it down in his concurring opinion.

"The California Legislature included in its official history the congratulatory statement that the Act was part of California’s legacy of “forward thinking.” App. 38–39. But it is not forward thinking to force individuals to “be an instrument for fostering public adherence to an ideological point of view [they] fin[d] unacceptable.”). It is forward thinking to begin by reading the First Amendment as ratified in 1791; to understand the history of authoritarian government as the Founders then knew it; to confirm that history since then shows how relentless authoritarian regimes are in their attempts to stifle free speech; and to carry those lessons onward as we seek to preserve and teach the necessity of freedom of speech for the generations to come. Governments must not be allowed to force persons to express a message contrary to their deepest convictions. Freedom of speech secures freedom of thought and belief. This law imperils those liberties."

That's as close to a "Deez nuts from the bench" that you'll ever see from Kennedy.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

On CNBC, Rick Santelli drew an analogy between recent US trade actions and a workers strike for a better deal --

When I hear so many people from so many countries that are bureaucracies say the following–“There are no winners in a trade war”–I would say, “Horse Hockey.” My answer would be why do so many people all over the world go on strike? Because it is exactly the same model. You are going to lose being the employees, your employers are going to lose. So why do it? Because one or both sides over time, once the new agreement is made, will make up for lost time and they’ll have a better logistical set-up. And that’s why they go on strike.

“I’m not sure how its going to end but I feel fairly confident that the conventional wisdom description will not be the accurate one."

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This was a very long time coming. But finally ......

By a vote of 5-4, the Supremes just ruled that compulsory union dues for government employees violate the First Amendment. Alito for the majority. This is a disaster for organized labor and their incestuous relationship with the government, something even FDR opposed.

It still blows my mind that some of you were willing to hand the federal judiciary over to Hillary Clinton by not voting or voting for an inconsequential candidate

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/16-1466_2b3j.pdf

[​IMG]

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Egg Zackly

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's interesting that you'd dish out the Trump trash talk on this case, when it's the least defensible and least indicative of a conservative judicial philosophy of the 3 big rulings that got handed down.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's Kennedy
    Says he's retiring

13. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Kennedy retires! Trump gets another opportunity to lean the SC more conservative.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Forcing employees to pay union dues against their will is theft.
    If you disagree then its because you are a thief

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He entrusted his seat to Trump
    Good call

16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Just think about it: you already have to pay taxes, plus many people have alimony and child support not to mention other needed expenditures. Why do they think they have so much power over our take home pay?

17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Have a good retirement, Mr. Kennedy.

Ruthie baby, you're up next.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

There was a time in US history when unions were necessary, I will concede that much. However, that time has long passed. The field has been wholly preempted through federal legislation. Unions have been supplanted by the Nanny State which has gone further and done more than anything the various unions had originally hoped for. Unions today are a historical anachronisms. The only thing holding them together is greed. Time to waive bye-bye to them.

19. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

You know this next nomination process is going to be a blood bath.

20. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I get that. Hell, I've seen Grapes of Wrath enough times to hate management by the end of the movie.

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Hopefully McConnell can hold his leaky ship together. Looking back, you have to credit him for withstanding the media onslaught with regard to the Garland nomination. Not all Rs could have withstood that level of attack. I am not a big McConnell fan (eventhough I personally know his CoS pretty well) but he gets well deserved credit for this.

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Coal miners. Textiles workers. It's a pretty long list.
    But later, they then foolishly drove certain industries out of the country.

23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

There's another movie called Salt of the Earth that was banned for a while as communist propaganda. It was directed by one of the Hollywood Ten. It's about the workers in a mine. I liked it so much I bought the DVD for my small collection. It's very sympathetic to the miners and their families.

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

McConnell warned them of back when he was the minority

“I say to my friends on the other side of the aisle, you’ll regret this. And you may regret it a lot sooner than you think.”
    That was pretty clear and he was right. Here is the full story of what Schumer and Reid wrought
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/democrats-trump-cabinet-senate/513782/

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Never forget this -- if the Never-Trump crowd, here and elsewhere, had their way, we would now be staring at a 6-3 hard left SCOTUS majority

Can you imagine life in the US at that point?

• Like Like x 1
  26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Best thing Kennedy has done in 30+ years on the bench.

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

On cue, Mitch McConnell just said:

“We will vote to confirm Justice Kennedy’s successor this fall"

lol

language

• Like Like x 2
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Trump now gets to set the direction of the Supreme Court for several decades. As Obama said, “elections have consequences.”

29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

There is no doubt in my mind that many on the right held their nose and voted for Trump for this very reason. The tactics of the Left to completely demonize him was their only way to get someone to vote Liberal when every bone in their body told them not to. That fuels the Nazi rhetoric and the hate-filled vile Republicans are forced to endure just because they support his policies.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I personally attempted on multiple occasions to sway minds in this very forum arguing this very reason. There is a record. Anyone can go find it.