The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

BHO always talked a mean game. He did back it up when attacking the GOP. But he looked the other way when politicians from his own party broke his rules. Trump just doesn't seem like the type that will allow shady stuff happen underneath him.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Did you hold Obama to the same standard on his promises? If not, you have just stated a double standard. And I do not recall you objecting in here to any of this stuff at the time it was happening. But maybe you did?

-- Obama said he would lower the sea levels (He didnt)
    -- He promised not to allow lobbyists to work in his administration (They did)
    -- He promised to cut the deficit in half (LOL)
    -- His committed to slash earmarks. (He didn’t)
    -- To be the most transparent presidency in history (It’ wasnt)
    -- To restore trust in government (Trust in government is at near-historic lows)
    -- Obama promised to treat super-PACs as a “threat to democracy” (but then he embraced them)
    -- His pledge to identify all those “shovel-ready” jobs. (Obama later LOLd that his much-hyped “shovel-ready projects” were “not as shovel-ready as we expected”)
    -- His pledge to lift 2M Americans from poverty. (A record 46M Americans are living in poverty during the Obama era)
    -- He said he would bring down health care premiums by $2,500 for the typical family (they went up, and still are)
    -- He said Americans could keep their doctors (LOL)
    -- He said he would not allow Obamacare to fund abortion (it does)
    -- He said Obamacare would respect religious liberties (a cynical lie)
    -- He said the mandate to buy insurance, enforced by financial penalties, was not a tax (it is)
    -- He said he would “remake the world” and “heal the planet.” (Hardly)
    -- He promised to usher in a “new beginning” based on “mutual respect” with the Arab and Islamic world and “help answer the call for a new dawn in the Middle East” (how is that working out?)
    -- He promised to punish Syria if it crossed the “red line” of using chemical weapons. (They crossed it (quickly) and nothing of consequence ever happened)
    -- He promised to "reset" relations with Russia (LOL)
    -- He promised to bring us together (LOL, he is the most polarizing president in the history of Gallup polling)
    -- He said he would "put an end to the type of politics that breeds division and conflict and cynicism” (All increased during his presidency)

Here's an even more complete list http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/rulings/promise-broken/

• Like Like x 1
  3. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Wall Street clearly like Trumps talk of deregulation. If there is one positive about this election...my stock portfolio is looking rosier and I expect to get a large tax cut. Additionally, with 3 sons starting college in in the next 6 years, I don't expect to see a gigantic tuition increase to afford free college for those less well off.

4. Seattle Husker

Did you read that last article? The lobbyists are already inside his transition team. Time will tell though.

5. Seattle Husker

Isn't it a little early to be backtracking on holding your candidate accountable for campaign promises?

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Isnt it alittle early to be hammering him for what he has done or not done in light of the fact that he has not even taken the oath of office yet?

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Seattle Husker

Does this surprise anyone? It is to me given he previous statements on climate change, including the infamous China conspiracy tweet. I get trying to balance the Earth impact against company impact but at least this shows a more measured tone.

9. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

Joe, I think you're confusing me with someone else hahaha.

10. Seattle Husker

Are those promises or rhetoric? Someone needs to create a glossary for us all to abide by.

11. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Yes I did. He's making them have a 5 yr pledge. What I said about that is I believe he will make them stick to that pledge or there will be consequences. The Obama held no one accountable. The biggest pledge breaker Obama had was Hillary who signed documents that she wouldn't mix the state department with the Clinton foundation. Well it was proven to be a pay for play. What consequences did Hillary face from Obama for breaking that pledge? I'll tell you......NOTHING!

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Please let me guess your position on this --
    All of Obama's promises was just political rhetoric
    While Trump's rhetoric was hard promise
    Did I get that right?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Uh oh, did i do that again?

[​IMG]

14. texas_ex2000

Great show Westworld.

To go on a little tangent however...JJ Abrams is the producer of this show. It's a beautiful produced show. And while I like this show a lot, it's obvious Abrams is creatively mediocre.

Everything he does is about mysterious genre concepts on steroids and slickly produced. Lost, Star Wars: Force Awakens, Alias, Cloverfield, Super 8, Mission Impossible III, Regarding Henry, the novel S. With the rare exception of Felicity all of these projects are simply lots of plot twists with above average characters packaged in fancy places. Every Abrams project and their marketing is about mystery or cliffhanger to keep you watching. They thrive on fan theories shared on social media. Someone in his movies always has f'in amnesia.

The other HBO blockbuster Game of Thrones also does this to some extent, however the writer of the books, Martin, has also given the show deep characters. People watch GoT for the characters.

Compare Abrams to Larry McMurtry. His novels and their TV shows and movies - Lonesome Dove, Terms of Endearment, Last Picture Show, Hud (Horseman Pass By), Brokeback Mountain immerse you through their well developed and written characters and how those character deal with hardships, choices, love, etc.

What made Empire Strikes Back the best Star Wars movie was the characters and their relationships. Han and Leia, Luke's journey to find himself with Yoda. Not the plot twist at the end. I wish Disney would have valued that instead of handing the franchise over to Abrams.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Seeing Randy Quaid's junk in Last Picture Show was enough to ruin me for Larry McMurtry.

16. texas_ex2000

Come on...Cybill Sheperd au naturel didn't balance that out for you?

17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Perhaps it would if Quaid hadn't gone on to play this guy.
    [​IMG]

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Wonder what Barrack is doing today?

19. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I do think Trump will help the economy. Hopefully, he hires all of the right people for foreign policy and gets out of their way. One thing for sure, I think you will see him take very few golf vacations. ( for what it is worth, I think Obama was unfairly hit on this except for his outings during major crisis)

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I think BHO's rounds of golf paralleled his deficit.

Just like the debt rose more under Barrack than all other Presidents combined, he also played more rounds of golf while President than that played by all other Presidents combined.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

22. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

JF
    I do not know whether Trump can get Carrier to stay But just knowing he is trying
    will mean a lot to the employees their families and to all middle American workers who could be in similar situation
    It also puts the ball back into Carrier's court
    Would a corporate tax decrease of 20% persuade them?

23. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

There is a lot to criticise Obama for. But the criticism that he played too much golf is stupid. The count I've seen is that he recently played his 300th round as president. He's been president for over 400 months. Less than a round a month is hardly extravagant.

Plus, it's nowhere near the most of any single president, much less all presidents combined. Link.

• Like Like x 1
  24. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

I'd bet the ranch (if I had one) that you are wrong on this. He works his butt off and will continue to do so, but he will also play a lot of golf.

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

i see the irony, of course.

Lefties care more about Obama's record for golf rounds than they do his record debt.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The practice of ripping a President for playing golf or going on vacation is dumb and entirely partisan for a few reasons. First, the presidency is a tough gig that warrants a vacation from time to time. That's why these guys age 20 years in 8 years. Second, the job follows the president, so he's never really on vacation. Furthermore, he doesn't have to be in the White House to do his job. In fact, his location has little to do with whether he's able to do his job, and that has been true for decades. Third, we have redundancies and ways for presidential powers to be exercised and duties to be performed if the President was truly unable to perform his duties for any reason, including a vacation. The work still gets done, for better or for worse. Finally, if you don't like the President's policy agenda, shouldn't you want him to go on vacation? If you could trade Obamacare for an 8-year taxpayer funded vacation for the Obama family, wouldn't you make that deal?

• Like Like x 1
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Republicans never get credit for appointing a diverse cabinet. If they appoint a woman or a minority, it's dismissed as tokenism and pandering. If they appoint white guys, it's ripped for not being diverse. There's a criticism for either action. They should just appoint the best people whatever color they are or whatever their gender is and not worry about trying to impress the diversity crowd.

Having said that, Coulter is full of crap on the immigration issue. If he could bail on the deportations/amnesty and get away with it, then he can bail on the wall and get away with it. The overriding basis for his support was his personality and attitude. It was more important than issues. So long as he talks the way he does, the overwhelming majority of his supporters will back him almost no matter what he actually does. However, I don't see why he would bail on the wall. I think he has a mandate to do it, and since nobody gives a crap about his character or whether he has conflicts of interest, he can almost surely find a way to make money off of it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Disagree. Immigration/border enforcement (which I view as a single issue) was THE issue that gave his campaign its start. It is what got him noticed, what got him early momentum and what got him early crowds. That and "bad trade deals" are the issues that created the huge gulf between he and his Republican primary competitors. A gulf that they never closed. Given this significance, I dont think he will back out on this promise. Something will get built.

That said, I do disagree with Coulter that it must be a Great Wall of China from Boca Chica to San Diego. I think throwing a fit about this right now, before he has even taken the oath, is melodramatic and not helpful. There are plenty of places along the border where fencing or something else would be pragmatic and equally effective. My guess is that she is just letting Trumps & Team know she and others are watching them closely.

As to the necessity of having a 'diverse' cabinet, I dont even like that Republicans are discussing the issue. I dont like that Republicans are thinking this way. Identity politics are a loser issue. This were one of Obama's biggest mistakes. While this stuff may have helped him personally, it did not help the rest of us. Because of it, he is leaving a country more divided than ever behind him. No great country can never be sustained on this marxist nonsense. Trump's only hiring question should be - "Who is the best person i can get for this job?"

I also disagree with Coulter that talking to Romney is "bad." It does not bother me at all. I think Trump is demonstrating to everyone that it's time to move on. He is looking ahead, not behind. He is showing maturity and a business-like approach. This country is in bad shape and needs alot of work. We do not have time for personal vendettas or family feuds. It is time to get on with things.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016