'The good ol' days' of Longhorn Netdom

Discussion in 'Classics' started by horndfl, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al 500+ Posts

I remember those! I never read them because they were too damn long!

2. Hello Nasty

Hello Nasty 25+ Posts

I remember cruising over the the recruiting board on the old 360 and seeing the names of all of these recruits.....so...me being the brilliant poster I am...posted my own name to see what it would feel like seeing MY NAME on the boards....I thought it was hilarious....needless to say...some people didnt....funny stuff

Hook Em
    Hello Nasty

3. Philflesh

Philflesh < 25 Posts

Longhorn Bob still does the pregame and postgame crap in his e-mails (by subscription only, of course). It's hilarious. I've never seen a guy try so hard to seem so country-bumpkin-down-to-earth and make himself look so stupid in the process. What a character.

4. justhookit

justhookit 100+ Posts

CJD is sorely missed.

I once tried to get on the email "list" of the guys that uh, um, run? 360 now. Apparently having a UT degree, being a foundation member, and having a father who was a letterman in basketball isn't enough. I think they are scared that someone might actually call their ********.

5. Texasfootball

Texasfootball < 25 Posts

horndfl,

It is not often you get the opportunity to fully enjoy a good post. I smiled many times while reading your trip down memory lane. It has been one helluva ride. I thank you for this effort and I'm looking forward to another offseason of fun discussions of horn football.

For various reasons most of us have to skip some threads on certain occassions. You just can't read every post and reply even though you wish you could. That's just the way it is. There were two posters you mentioned, Scipio Tex and PhxHorn, that NOBODY skipped. If they posted, you read it. If they replied, you read it. That's how good they were!

I love good serious football threads. Every time I'm reading one I still keep looking at every single reply just hoping PhxHorn or Scipio Tex will find time to comment. If you are new to the board, take the time to read some of their work in the classics section. I wish they had room for more of their posts-they all belong in the classics.

Once again horndfl, thanks for the outstanding post.

Texasfootball

6. lam horn

lam horn < 25 Posts

This was a fun read.

I remember my first day posting on the old 360 board. I had lurked for about a month, and it was pretty much all Macovic bashing. I decided I would get up early on a Saturday, and would post of defense of what John had accomplished, placing his accomplishments in the light of recent (then) UT history.

Man, it was a busy day. Reesetex and santini came after me with both barrels blazzing, and it seems 100s of "Mac Huggers" came out of the closet. I think three separate threads went over 100 that day alone.

One of the strange things about the net occurred for me when a Nebraska fan named Huskerdiggs died. I had argued with him about everything for about a year. His wife posted about his death, and how the internet had given him such pleasure in his last years. We had planned get togethers which never had happened, but still, I felt such a sense of loss in learning about his passing. Still seems strange to me, that I would so miss someone I never knew.

Hook'em!

7. Oakhill Horn

Oakhill Horn 250+ Posts

TEXAS ANGEL!!!!!! She Lives!

I have been lurking Longhorn Netdom since 95, I don't add much except for the occasional smart aleck remark. I was going to post a question yesterday about what happened to the Texas Angel who ran that great site a few years ago, but this was turning into a Austin 360 lovefest.

Harboring wishes that it would come back, I still have that site as a bookmark in my home computer. I remember when it disappeared. I would check back periodically and get the message that that was no longer a valid address, then one day I clicked it and a page started loading.....
    but no End Zone, no Texas Angel.

I loved your site, and were I not already married, I would have sought you out for my own. [​IMG] When are you going to get started on your new site?

8. Bill_McNeal

Bill_McNeal 250+ Posts

I call ******** on justhookit's post. For a variety of reasons.

9. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

even 100.

10. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

Thumper's posts about the aggies were inspirational. I wish he would have stayed here. He posted few times and then departed.

11. Texas_Angel

Texas_Angel 25+ Posts

That was very hard, giving that website up. I can't believe someone remembers it! I've thought off and on about starting it up again, but I'm not sure what I can offer that's not already out there. I would be more than happy to do a website that's all about the history and traditions, but there's plenty (more than plenty) of stuff on recruiting already.

And as for Longhorn Bob- I had a deal with him back in the day, and used to post his recaps on the website... I had completely forgotten.

After going out of state to law school, I kind of felt out of the loop on the Horns community online. Maybe now that I'm back in Austin I can get back up to speed. As long as y'all don't hold it against me that I went to South Bend for awhile...

12. horn1

horn1 25+ Posts

Oh, I remember the old Austin 360 BBS days all the way back to 1994-95 when it started.

There was only one internet "guru" back then...

TSD

Anybody remember that sick freak? He used to live in the dorm and get information from other football players then post it. Little did anyone know that he was really a psycho.

Anyone else remember that!?

13. justhookit

justhookit 100+ Posts

Bill, really? Other than my opinion that someone would call their ********, everything else I said was fact [​IMG]

14. Texas_Angel

Texas_Angel 25+ Posts

TSD! Wow, there's a blast from the past.

I wasn't around to hear that he was off his rocker- what's the story there?

15. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

Thumper's "adventures of Arnold Plank" series of posts was the funniest **** that I had ever seen.

I remember exactly of LHG's posts on the 360 board; one apologizing for wheeler for attacking someone who said something about his girlfriend in some photo, and the one announcing this great site.

I never looked back. They can take their "NOJA's" and all of that **** and keep it. This is the place to be, no question.

16. AndrewfromUTLaw

AndrewfromUTLaw < 25 Posts

I remember when the main screen for AAS 360 hook'em.com was this little diamond shaped logo with sport equipment all around it.

That was 1994-1995 when I started going to Austin 360. I was a first year law school student.

In 1995 we had the first Cyberhorns meeting at Scholtz. hotair, GRGCPA, and smokey (a very pretty woman) and others showed up. I met Phxhorn with hotair at the spring game in 1996 or 1997. He was taking notes religiously. I wish he posted more.

When Jesse Warren stiffed us to go to CU, when Cormier's mom ran us down under the influence of negative recruiting, when texlarry was pissed and stunned, when reesetex tore into me for slamming on Tyson Cutrer (I was wrong), when TSD went off the deep end....I was there.

And a lots less productive in law school because of it.

Who was the judge from Baylor who kept coming around?

Triva Question: Who here knows what "TSD" stood for? It was an acronym for something......

A.

17. Vasherized

Vasherized 25+ Posts

It seems like a certain poster might be backing away from the ledge??

Great post dfl.

18. UT Horn

UT Horn < 25 Posts

This thread reminded me of a few posts I had saved from Austin 360.
    Just for old time sake, here’s a fake letter Scipio Tex wrote from the President of Kansas State. A magazine article at the time knocked the school saying that no one should root for it. Dr. Jon Whiffleball (Scipio) responded.

Subject: Dear Mr. Will Leitch....

I have read and re-read your article entitled "We Hate K-State." I did this very slowly with my lips moving, armed with a Webster's dictionary to help me through the rough spots. I think I have as good a sense of humor as anyone (though not a sense of direction, Mrs. Whiffleball has wisely installed a clapper on my Lincoln Towncar to prevent me from wandering aimlessly on the K-State campus) and I did not find your column funny. Jerry Lewis, on the other hand, is very funny. We watch him on the television picture box while eating Hungry Man dinners on our collapsible TV tables. Mrs. Whiffleball and I amaze at how Dean Martin puts up with his madcap hijinks. That Dean Martin is a good natured fellow. Hard to believe for an Italian.

To begin with, the opposite of what you said in your article is true. After beating The Northeastern Lousiana School For Syphilitic Girls, K-State was 3-0 and well on its way to becoming America's team. The reason for that is simple: Americans despise syphilis. I suppose they also root for underdogs. I know we were favored in every game we played last year, often by seven touchdowns, but I am trying to make a confused point about being an underdog so please bear with me. Indeed, this coming Saturday, we are underdogs to the University of Texas. Outside of Texas, very few people cheer for the Longhorns because they are cocksure and wealthy. In contrast, at K-State we are poverty stricken and absolutely unsure of our cocks. Many Texans believe that the world begins and ends with Texas. This is a fallacy. Even before we got rid of that rabble-rousing evolution theory in Kansas schools, I knew of nothing that stated anything about Texas "being the beginning of the world." I doubt that blasphemous hoodlum Charles Darwin has even been to Plano.

Will, my doctor told me that my stool has the firmness of a man half my age. Two words Will: Salisbury Steak. Lots of it.

I cannot understand how you came up with some of your ideas and conclusions. After all, what is the American dream? Some say it means going to college, marrying a cute sorority girl, getting a ******** doctorate, becoming president of a third rate junior college and buying a nice house in Manhattan. Later, your wife becomes fat and starts boning the pool boy and you realize that your oldest son, Chip, is gay. Then your wife puts a clapper on your Lincoln Town Car and you experience full bore dementia as you stroll through campus sobbing. I do not know. But Kansas State is the American dream just the same.

We were once very bad at football. Now we are not. I believe this is because of the emotionless reptile I hired to run our football program. Our turnaround is as miraculous as the fact that I am a college president and that I write at the level of a pre-school toddler.

Will, sometimes I lock myself in my office accidentally.

Now, let us deal with your accusations. First, no one hates Kansas St. football. We are America's team. I understand that there was even talk of sending David Allen to Kosovo to represent our country at the renegotiation of the Dayton accord. Second, you say our team is cocky. The only Kansas State football player who was cocky was that fumbling dick from Texas Micheal Bishop. Micheal Bishop is a sorry Texas bastard. Just between you and me, he could neither read nor write and I believe this handicapped his efforts on the field, though only occasionally in Kansas St. classrooms. So what of it? Will, if you met our football players, you would be very impressed with their professionalism. They are professionals in every way, I assure you. Very, very professional.

You also say we have an easy schedule. You are right about that. Nor will we apologize for beating the Kansas School For The Blind 136-3. Those people's disabilities are a sign of God's disfavor and they should be pounded mercilessly. You mention scandal. The only scandal I know of is the 3K that some of our alums who work in a convenience store threw together and gave to Frank Murphy. He invested the money in pharmaceuticals (is Crck listed on the NASDAQ?) and returned a 189% profit, leaving enough to repaying the initial investors, buy himself a gold tooth and take the NCAA investigator to a titty bar. Again, that is the American Dream Will.

You talk about our players playing dirty. You mention our alleged decapitation of Eric Crouch. Will, Eric Crouch is a bad person. He should be decapitated. Just look at his name -- Crouch. That's another word for a person's genitals Will. That's sickening. I cover Mrs. Whiffleball's eyes with a Vix VapoRub reeking doilie everytime his name pops up on the screen.

People outside of Nebraska despise that state because their people are also perceived as wealthy and arrogant. Will, every state in the union but Kansas is wealthy and arrogant. That's why we are lobbying strongly for Puerto Rico's inclusion into the Union. I can't wait to look down on those backwards greasers Will.

By the way, I'm not even saying Crouch was decapitated. The referee (KSU '71) did not throw a flag. Maybe you should ask him. You can find him at a party we're throwing on the anniversary of the game but I'll bet you did not know that. I do not know if you are into doing that kind of homework. We are. We make all of our students do homework every day: coloring, pasting, making collages, crossword puzzles, where's Waldo pictures, practicing their letters and numbers, you name it. I myself have just polished off a whole volume of "Encyclopedia Brown: Boy Detective." Mrs. Whiffleball is still working on our leather bound Reader's Digest collector's edition. Perhaps you need some intellectual rigor in your own life Will.

Will, sometimes the squirrels on campus take my car keys and hide them.

Your last accusation is that our school colors are "gay." Why is bright purple gay, Will? What does this mean Will? Yes, it is true that I was a Scoutmaster for fourteen years but as you know boys have very active imaginations and are prone to embellishment. What did they say Will? Tell me exactly what they said. Little boys are liars Will. That's why they have to be disciplined and made to wear corsets.

Finally, I am enclosing several puff pieces about our program along with some of Mrs. Whiffleball's peach marmalade preserves. Some people say they smell of arsenic but they are excellent I assure you. Please eat the marmalade quickly Will.

Will, I did not wear pants today.

If you would like to contact me, I may be found accidentally locked in my office trying to get full accreditation for our college.

Disorientedly yours,
    Dr. Jon Whiffleball
    President
    Kansas St.

19. UT Horn

UT Horn < 25 Posts

Here's another one, though it might get censored.

Subject: NOJA Poker Night

It's a smoke-filled room at a house somewhere in west Austin. The Council of NOJAs has gathered in secret to conduct its first annual strategy conference. The meeting was gaveled in by current NOJA thumper, who delivered stirring opening address regarding the evils of flat beer and cheap scotch. Shortly thereafter, the meeting quickly degenerated into a poker game.

We join the game in its seventh hour. It's 3:00 a.m., and the natives are getting restless…

MegaDittos (shuffling): Ok, youse guys, we're gonna play seven card stud, 3s, 8s, jacks, 9s and red 5s are wild…

Beowulf (puffing on a stogie): Dammit, Dits, I told you we weren't playing no fuckin' (I can say that word any time I damn well want to) wild card games!

Phxhorn (tapping something into his portable PC): This reminds me of a recent trip I made to Kinosha Falls, Minnesota. I had a young lady ensconced in a lovely two-bedroom apartment overlooking the Potawotamie River. She lay nude on the circular, vibrating bed as I performed a detailed analysis of the three-deep chart of the Longhorn defense for 1999 on this very portable PC. It occurred to me then, as it does now, that women are much like the Texas defense - and I call it that only for want of a more descriptive term, but I digress - they are sensual in their movements, quick to the point of attack, and like to smack you in the balls every chance they get. Which, incidentally, is what I'm about to do to you, Mr. Dittos, if you call one more goddam wild card game.

Bully: You know, seven card stud is #5 on Bully's list of the Texas Top 50 poker games…

MegaDittos (dealing now): Ok, ok, no wild card games. How's about we just play Spank the Monkey??

Beowulf (pounding the table): Dammit, Dits….

MegaDittos: Ok….man, no sense of humor at all… the game is seven card stud. Two dollar ante. (finishes dealing the first three cards, two down,one up) Uh, can anybody loan me two bucks?

Beowulf (pushing ten dollars worth of chips in front of Dittos): Here. That's $150 you owe me now.

CrazyJoeDavola (dressed in a huge, floppy-brimmed hat and garish outfit reminiscent of Huggy Bear in the old Starsky and Hutch series): I like wild card games. What the hell's wrong with wild card games?

EyesOfTX (sees he's holding the Ace of Spades down): We're playing Chicago, right?

CrazyJoeDavola: No, seriously, what's wrong with wild card games? I mean, this is a wild bunch, right? So why shouldn't we be playing wild card games?

Thumper: Arnold Plank smiled as he viewed his opening draw in the hand of seven-card stud, knowing all the while that his new girlfriend, the voluptuous and talented Sarah Bellum, awaited him in the next room…

EyesOfTX: I'm assuming since no one answered we're playing Chicago, right? (Looks around, no one answers) Ok, I'll open for a dollar.

Thumper: Sarah was wearing her new maroon-colored teddy she had recently purchased at the local Salvation Army store. She was a real looker, that Sarah. Six feet tall and 92 pounds of solid sinew and bone…

Megadittos (tosses a nude picture of Gary Coleman on the table) I'll call.

Bully (calls the bet): Nude Pics of Gary Coleman are #13 on Bully's list of the Top 50 Texas Perversions…

CrazyJoeDavola: Look, what's wild in this game, anyway? (calls the bet)

Phxhorn: Nothing's wild, Joe. We told you seven hours ago that we weren't playing any wild card games. I'm in. (throws in his chip) And that calls to mind the time I was sharing a room with a nubile young thing in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I wanted to be "in" her that night, I can tell you. But first, I had to finish my analysis of our running back situation for 1999 sans Ricky. And, well, one thing led to another, and before you know it I was finished and she was gone. It was a great post, but a lousy evening…

CrazyJoeDavola (now standing on his head on his chair): But I like wild card games…

Phxhorn: Yes, we seem to have heard that somewhere before (rolls his eyes).

Thumper: …(well, I've got a bone for her) Arnold thought, as he examined the fourth card that had just been dealt, and decided to open this round of betting with a two-dollar bet. (tosses out two dollar chips) Arnold didn't really know what that meant, but he'd heard his friend Guido say it about that sheep they'd spent a couple of hours with at the Bryan Petting Zoo last Saturday, so he figured it must be good…

EyesOfTX (now has a pair of aces showing to go along with his Ace of Spades in the hole): So, we're playing Chicago, right? Yeah, boy, I sure like Chicago. Glad you called Chicago, Dittos…

Beowulf: Eyes…

EyesOfTX: Yeah, 'Wulf?

Beowulf: You know we're all part of the Longhorn family here, right? (Eyes nods) Well, as family, I just thought it was fair to warn you that if you say one more thing about this game being "Chicago"…

EyesOfTX (eyes getting wider, leaning back in his chair): Umm, yeah?

Beowulf: …I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ***!!!!!! (takes a deep breath and wills himself to calm down) Understand?

EyesOfTX: Uh, yeah, yeah, no problem, 'Wulf. Seven card stud, like I said…

CrazyJoeDavola: What's wild?

Bully: Bully, who's always willing to throw away a couple of bucks on a sad piece of **** hand of cards, is in.

Phxhorn: Mr. Davola, excuse me for saying so, but you remind me of a fellow I once was on assignment with in the wilds of east Africa. He and I were out hunting the great Wildebeast - you are familiar with the Wildebeast, are you not? The ugliest, smelliest, nastiest four-legged beast on the face of the great continent, and yet, there we were, this man and I, out in the wild, man against nature, just us, our native guide - a very nubile young African woman with whom I had planned to make mad, passionate love later in our pup tent - our rifles, our armored Humvee, our bazookas and our tank. Out there alone against the great Wildebeast - but I digress. As I was about to say, before I so rudely interrupted myself, this fellow had a terribly difficult time listening to and adhering to instructions. Ignored our warnings about not bathing in the river, and was mauled by a crocodile. You would appear to be afflicted with a similar malady, and stand in danger of suffering a similar fate if you don’t shut the hell up about wild cards.

CrazyJoeDavola(now wearing a Don Ho wig and strumming a ukelele): Ok, so, what's wild in this game? Gotta be something wild…

Thumper: 'These are the days', Arnold thought to himself as he viewed the sixth of his seven cards in this hand of
    poker. Poker. Now, there was a word he liked, thinking of Sarah. 'I'd sure like to go poke her', he thought, smiling inside, even as he remembered he had left his handy fireplace poker at home that evening. 'Oh, well, no poking tonight', he said to himself, and then he opened the round with a four dollar bet.

Beowulf (a big, hang-dog expression on his face): I'm out. Anybody want another beer?

Everybody else: Hell, yes!

EyesOfTX (now surveying a hand that includes three aces and two jacks, one up, one in the hole): Eyes says call that bet and raise it five!

MegaDittos (playing with his anatomically correct John Tesch doll): I'm out. Say, where's that stripper? I needs another lap dance…

Beowulf (returning with the beer): Oh, no you don't, Dits. I ain't paying for no more lap dances. Well, 'cept mebbe for ol' 'Wulf here, heh, heh…

MegaDittos: Awwwwww, c'mon, big guy? I neeeeeed one, I neeeeeeed one…

Beowulf: Look, 28 lap dances in one night oughtta be enough for anybody, man. I mean, look at her (points to living room, where exhausted stripper, the aptly named Cherry Vanilla, is fast asleep on sofa) you done wore her out.Just deal the last card.

Bully: Lap Dancing: #3 on Bully's list of the Top 50 Texas Guilty Pleasures…

Thumper: Arnold Plank surveyed the hand he had been dealt. Surely, it must be the winning hand. Aggies always beat the 'sips in such situations, don't they? That's what he'd been taught at fish camp, where he'd met his first girl friend, Charlene, 5'2" and 250 pounds of wild female debauchery who had recently been stolen away from him by Guido's former girlfriend. Said she was a "Lezbyan", whatever the hell that meant. Guido said it was something like a vegetarian, only they don't eat vegetables, neither. Women were a mystery, that's all Arnold knew. And so were cards. He'd lost the last hand when his pair of 8s got trumped by something called a straight. He didn't think that straight was so impressive, though. Not a pair in the whole hand, and only two of 'em were the same suit. Still, everybody else said he had lost, so he took his lumps and moved on. He figured the ‘sips were cheatin’, but couldn't prove it, so he just kept plugging. Head down, chin in, stomach out. That's what they taught you in the corps. He did his best, but still kept getting latrine duty. Women, cards, the Corps, life: it was all a mystery to Arnold. He began the betting by tossing in five bucks…

Phxhorn: This hand reminds me of next year's Longhorn Offensive Line. I was in the North of France a few weeks ago, and had grown close to a French beauty who caught my eye at an art gallery. One thing led to another, and before you knew it, I had her up in the shower of my hotel room. I, meanwhile, was analyzing the offensive depth chart for 1999, paying particular heed to the offensive line. I came to the conclusion that our line for next season would be made up of two extremely talented and proven starters, and three talented, but raw and unproven novices. In that way, the 1999 OL will be very similar to the hand I now hold. I'm out, goddamit.(Throws his cards on the table)

Bully: Bully, who seldom knows when he’s beat, has had a sudden epiphany about this particular hand, and folds. Where’s that stripper? (gets up and heads to the living room, where CrazyJoeDavola, now clad only in leather chaps and a huge cowboy hat, is sitting on the sofa with his guitar in hand, serenading the now awake Cherry Vanilla with his rendition of “Knights in White Satin”. Meanwhile, Megadittos is performing ballet in his leopard skin leotard, trying in vain to coax a free lap dance out of Ms. Vanilla).

Beowulf (surveying the table): Who’s still in this game?

EyesOfTX: Eyes says hold all cards and match all bets.

Beowulf: Sheesh. You know, Eyes, referring to yourself in the third person is a sure sign of mental illness.

EyesOfTX: So what’s your point?

Beowulf: Anybody else?

Thumper: Arnold Plank surveyed the table. Only he, EyesOfTX and CrazyJoeDavola remained in the hand. One Aggie vs. two ‘sips. He reviewed his hand, still unsure of exactly what he had, and decided he liked his odds. He called the bet.

Beowulf: Joe? That just leaves you.

CrazyJoeDavola(looking up from his guitar): What’s wild?

Beowulf: Goddamit, Joe, are you in or out?

CrazyJoeDavola (returning to the table): I call.

Beowulf: Alright, let’s show cards so we can play another hand. Eyes?

EyesOfTX (Big, fat, ****-eatin’ grin on his face): Read ‘em and weep, boys, a full boat, Aces over Jacks.

Thumper: Arnold Plank smiled as he gave one last look to his cards. Eyes may have had three aces, but Arnold had the other one, along with a Queen, a ten, a seven, TWO fours and a deuce. The best hand he’d had all night. Surely, he thought, this was his time to win. He slowly turned his cards over one at a time, and took great pleasure in observing the pained expressions on these ‘Sips faces.

EyesOfTX: Damn, man, what the hell are you thinking about? You got nothing, dude.

Beowulf: Thumper, do you actually know how to play poker?

Thumper: Arnold Plank wasn’t sure how to respond to that particular question. He had thought he knew how to play the game, but, given the fact that he was down over $250 at this point in a five dollar limit poker game, he was suddenly beginning to have his doubts. Still, his pride as an Aggie took over, and he just replied, “I didn’t lose, I just ran out of time.”

Beowulf (shaking his head as Eyes begins reaching to rake in the chips): Sheesh. Crazy Joe?

CrazyJoeDavola: Are eights wild?

Beowulf: Jeeeeeezus, man, how may times we gotta tell you there isn’t nothing wild in this game?

(Eyes, laughing now, is counting out his winnings and placing the chips in neat little stacks)

CrazyJoeDavola: Too bad, man. If they were, I’d have five kings.

EyesOfTX: Huh?

CrazyJoeDavola: Yeah, man, that’s my hand - one king and four eights.

EyesOfTX (head drops and hits the table with a loud “thud”): Are you sure we weren’t playing Chicago???

Beowulf (Stands back from the table, places hands on hips, and sings the finale from Don Quixote) God, I love these guys!!!!

Fade to black.

Hook ‘em!!!

20. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

Just a great read. Thanks.

I was very suspicious (for lack of a better word) when the "moderated" board came about. There was talk about moderation, spearheaded by PhxHorn as I recall, on the 360 board, and frankly, I didn't trust the concept.

But it seemed like HornFans recruiting board replaced the 360 recruiting board overnight. And I was gone.

Found out moderation was a very good thing too.

Has anyone mentioned bat or Cowboy1689 yet? Couple of excellent Longhorn posters.

21. kbend

kbend 25+ Posts

22. kchorn

kchorn 250+ Posts

UT Horn - Thank you for sharing those Scipio classics.

God bless Scipio. My wife says anything that could make a man laugh that much has to be good.

Of course, it was my wife who (as Doperbo may recall) discovered a while back that a family of woodpeckers had drilled a hole near the top of the west side of our home -- thereby securing winter sanctuary in our attic.

When she attempted to alert me regarding this fact, I was posting on HornFans and apparently did not respond initially.

Once she succeeded in getting my attention away from HF (no easy task, that) -- she gave me one of those looks and declared (tongue in cheek):

"Only a fool would sit there reading HornFans while his house is being destroyed by woodpeckers."

My only excuse is that it must have been a Phx or Scipio thread.

Hook 'em. [​IMG]

23. Steg

Steg < 25 Posts

I just stumbled upon this thread while looking at some threads a few days ago.
    I discovered "hookem.com" in 97 and lurked for a long time. I remember someone saying something so outlandish that I had to register and rebut. So as "steg13" I let some guy have it. But still rarely posted.
    Then I discovered "recruitingnow.com" and Bobby and Crabby were feeding an addiction I had discoverded in 92-93. I couldn't believe all of the info I was now privy to. And I would scoff at my friends who would say they read something about recruiting in the paper, "that is such OLD news."
    My first post on "recruitingnow.com" was as "STEG" and I titled it "prospect for 2001." People mocked me and made the obligatory "my 3 year old nephew runs fast" stupid jokes. My subject was a kid at my little brothers spring game. They lined this freshman up in the backfield and were just running toss sweep after toss sweep and this kid was awesome. He was a freshman making a very good varsity Defense look foolish. At the time he was a "small" 6'2'' 270 pound freshman named Marco Martin. I told Bobby to put him down because he would be an unbelievable badass. So I immediately started my little brother on the spying mission to start putting the word "Longhorns" in his ear.
    Then sometime around signing day, there was a link to Hornfans.com and I loved the format. (To this day I can't stand the 360 boards format) So I signed up and starting posting. But what I really started doing was learning. So many intelligent posters, so many "inside info" posters.
    Then there was the meltdown, somehow I lost my username and accumulated posts. Then I started law school, and didn't have as much time to dedicate. Then I had to "make time" regardless of school. I re-registered and begin posting and learning again.
    I am like the others who said they can't fully enjoy a sports moment without getting on Hornfans and gauging the response. Today, I would be lost without Hornfans. I've enjoyed a few tailgates. I cannot imagine finding HALF of the amazing info elsewhere that I find here.
    Thanks to all.
    And diehard sells himself short when he compliments my reports and downplays his own.

24. Texas Rugby

Texas Rugby 100+ Posts

There was a guy on the 360 boards when I started going over there in the mid-90s called exUTex who took on the Sooners like the Marines at Hue. He was DEVASTATING.

Being very fiesty in those days, I liked to hang out in the War Room and do battle with the Sooners. roserockmeteor/77077 was just one of them who used to get their asses handed to them regularly by exUTex.

Where are you exUTex? I'd sure like to see you around here.

25. Eric96

Eric96 < 25 Posts

Great post, DFL. Being one of the "Rah-Rah" guys (and a big time recruiting geek), I was probably one of the first out the door at 360. I even wrote a little advertisement about how much more civil and better laid out the "new" board was--I remember that I was happy to see a board with the "topic" layout rather than the "thread" layout.

But the 360 board did have a lot of great personalities. One guy that I liked a lot, but haven't seen for a long time was ArkHorn. Thankfully, Scipio, Phx, TTS and the rest eventually made it over here.

Another board from that era was the recruiting board at K-EYE. It was great because only about 10-20 people showed up and we would chat for hours with Ketchum about who was going where. Imagine, Ketchum, Texaus, Hop, and TSD all chatting on the same board. Great stuff.

26. workinghorn

workinghorn < 25 Posts

What ever happened to the Hawaii Rainbow fans? Those guys were allsome. I loved it when mimehorn chimed in.

I also like it when Fatcat Alum taunts Sooners.

27. Ketchum

Ketchum < 25 Posts

TSD = The Speed Demon.

Man, this thread has stopped me from working and made me take a trip down memory lane.

1. The one and only "cooldaddy". That was back when I was in college and working for KEYE. How could I have ever known where those early posts would lead me?

2. Chatting in the old 360 chat room. That was a whole separate deal from the boards, but some of those chat sessions were so damn funny. The old crew will never be forgotten and I've made a number of good friends through there.

3. The Montrell Lowe fiasco. My first expierence of the nuttiness of the recruiting business.

4. "I'm pissed and I'm stunned..it's Mack Brown."

5. My mini-war with reesetex, who must have had some miserable dreams because the "truths" he told were without any touch of reality.

7. Hornbabe.

8. Tag Team - I'll never foget him claiming that Ricky was the 7th best running back in the Big 12 his senior year.

9. When a poster left his address and threatened to fight another poster.

10. When someone stole my hande and started posting rumors that Chip Ambrees was committing to Texas. I had to post under an alias "Michael Johnson" that I was really cooldaddy and that I didn;t post that garbage. The entire Auistin 360 board didn't know what the f**k was going on.

11. Bcrusher

Those are just a few.

28. ornjblud

ornjblud 25+ Posts

I guess I'll step forward and post on the subject too. dfl’s post has me reminiscing as well.

I stumbled upon the 360BBS around the time of Rout66, and lurked there for a long while (.....still do from time to time). I guess it was the demise of John Mackovic that drew me there. Although I vividly remember lurking there while anxiously awaiting Ricky's announcement on whether or not he would forgo his senior season and head to the pros. I think I read every little tidbit that day until the final announcement. That's probably when I was officially hooked on Longhorn "netdom".

I remember being real anxious when I asked: "What the hell is a NOJA?". I thought for sure someone would flame the hell out of me, but I think it was vculou or thumper that politely gave me the background info.

I also remember the day when the "check out HornFans.com" post showed up. Curiously I clicked the link but it was so SLOOOOW. I couldn't imagine anyone dealing the lag so obviously I wasn’t around here during the beginning. I would still check it out from time to time, but it wasn't until the last year or so that it seemed fast enough to not be annoying (to me anyway). That’s when I really started lurking here and finally registered 5 or 6 months ago. As you can see I’m not in it for the post count and probably won’t ever post much but I thought I’d throw in my $0.02 anyway.

BTW - In 6 pages of this thread, no one has mentioned Liberal Arts Girl. I ‘m surprised she hasn’t been mentioned yet. She had the occasional knack for stimulating posts (i.e. Burnt Orange thong). [​IMG]

Hook'em

29. AustinPowers

AustinPowers < 25 Posts

30. Formus

Formus < 25 Posts

I wish I had as much posting history here as some others do. I have a similar story though. I was one of the first posters on a now defunct site, PigskinPrep.com. I found it by accident one day in 1998 when it first started. I watched it grow, reach it's peak and then basically disappear several months ago (the site has changed ownership and names, so I guess it's still technically up).

Anyway, I posted over on Garvin's Rivals board for a while. People over there would constantly ***** about how awful this place called HornFans was. I came over here to see for myself and I've been hooked ever since.

P.S. - I really wish someone could dig up that "Who Is Cedric Benson" thread conjured up by the Hawaiins. I started off pissed, went to confused and eventually said the hell with it and laughed my *** off.