The Media Industry

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Stuff like this is why the media's outrage over Tucker Carlson's and Sean Hannity's chumminess with Trump was so obviously phony. They are opinion guys. Nobody ever pretended they were independent commentators. However, the Times is supposed to be the gold standard of objective journalism, and they're asking liberal politicians for permission before they let a conservative even have a voice.

Note - I know the Times isn't the gold standard of anything but partisan assclownery, but they claim to be the gold standard of objective journalism.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Sometimes they even hire the slimy politicians themselves. After getting ****-canned from the British Parliament, former Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg (LibDem) got a cushy job with Facebook. I don't think he works there anymore, but he was there for a good 4 or 5 years.

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

CNN really is making an effort. Brian Stelter ****-canned. Link. Good riddance. He was a talentless hack.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Wow! Did not see this happening. He was a huge turd , and that is putting it politely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

He truly was a dumpster fire, and I don't understand how he got put into such a prominent position with the network. His show was previously hosted by Bernard Kalb and later Howard Kurtz. Neither of them are necessarily my heroes, but they were at least experienced journalists with a degree of professionalism.

Stelter was only 28, and for whatever reason, he always came across as massively arrogant and self-righteous. If you're Bob Woodward, I can understand a little arrogance. The dude broke Watergate. Stelter was just a douchie handjob of little accomplishment, and I'm not judging him for that. Most 28 year olds are, but the guy just oozed with arrogance and fake credibility. There was no basis for it whatsoever. He was just a partisan hack and propagandist who wasn't very good at his job. He was either somebody's son-in-law, or he was blowing somebody.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Personally, I think he was someone like what Ned Beatty portrayed in Deliverance.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Daily Wire hires former Disney executive. Link.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And look at Stelter self-righteously and dmugly taking issue. He's a throbbing tool of no meaningful accomplishment haggling with and trying to ******** a guy who's probably the most accomplished political television journalist of all time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Well it looks like it didn't happen the way the Duke player said it happened. Considering BYU has had black players on both football and basketball teams ( 4 of the starting 5 on bballare black) not to mention black players on many of the volleyball teams BYU plays I think the chance of it really happening remote.
    And knowing the grandmother of the player is a race hustler probably explains a lot

Wonder how the Duke Lacrosse team feels?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  12. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

When my son was on the football team and played against BYU, he said they were by far the most racist and dirtiest team they played against. Years ago we had a friend that got her doctorate in voice at UT. The choir got to go to SLC and visited the Tabernacle area. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir was practicing inside the Tabernacle. None of the black members of the UT choir were allowed in to hear them practice because blacks weren't allowed in.

Maybe it's all changed now, but those experiences weren't that long ago.

13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Media outlets love these stories - a lot of upsides for them. First, they obviously reinforce a politically convenient narrative - white supremacy and racial abuse by a politically conservative group. Second, they usually can never be proven, so you look very righteous by assuming them to be true without any corroborating evidence. Third, they also can't be disproven, so it's very hard for the accused to discredit the accuser and the politically nauseating reporter who ran the story without any proof, and you can usually just make him look racist for denying it and calling the accuser a liar.

14. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

15. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

That’s hard to believe FA. I’ve been to the choir practices and there certainly were no ‘restrictions’ of a racial nature. How long ago was this?
    Can’t offer any knowledge of the football players cause I never played but as others have mentioned there are blacks on the sports teams from BYU.

16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

17. Facing Addiction

They are a little older than us as she had her PHD in voice so it would have been mid to late 70's probably. Here is a reference I found to the lifting of the ban on black "priesthood" in 1978: Mormonism and the Negro: A Look at Their Historical Position | carm.org

They were allowed in any of the buildings, and if they would have been in the MTC practice room, they would have been allowed in, but since it was in the tabernacle itself, they were excluded.

"According to Mormon history and authoritative Mormon teachers, the Negro, as they were referred to, are a cursed race because they were not faithful to God in their first estate (the pre-existent life with God). Hence, when they are born, they are born in black-skinned families.[​IMG]

The early Mormon church was highly prejudicial against black people. And though there has been a change in attitude to blacks as of June 9, 1978, when they were finally allowed into the Mormon priesthood, it cannot be denied that Mormonism was, up until very recently, a segregated church."

18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

The first black player at BYU was Ron Knight in 1970, the same year Julius Whittier became first black Longhorn.
    I am sure BYU was racist then and still has racists today. UT does
    The problem with this incident is it makes no sense, So far the vids do not show what the Duke player claimed.
    Much like the horrible incident with the Duke Lacrosse players.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  19. Facing Addiction

I don't know about the specific instance with the Duke volleyball player. Just my 2 anecdotal stories from my son and a friend of ours led me to initially believe it wasn't out of the realm of possibility.

20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

FA
    I completely agree with you that 45_50 yrs ago when your friend went with the choir blacks were excluded from the Tabernacle.
    If the game you referred to was the 2013 game BYU had had black players on the team for over 40 years and had several high profile black players that year.
    It is difficult to understand why white BYU players would be shouting racist remarks to Texas players with so many black players on their own team.. Is it possible it was the BYU black players doing the smack talk?
    If you don't remember the Duke Lacrosse debacle you might like to look it up.
    Like this volleyball incident there was a rush to judgement about white Duke players and a black woman.
    Investigation proved it never happened.

• Like Like x 1
  22. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

No denial to the attitude you describe 50 years ago it was my mistake to think your posting referred to a more recent incident at the Tabernacle.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Facing Addiction

I'm old dude. 40-50 years ago seems like yesterday....

• Funny Funny x 2
  24. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Me too FA, me too.

25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Apparently Wordle thinks Fugly is a real world.

77BCA4B5-5B44-4E4B-ADCA-6A8B282A7D94.png

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  26. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Type in "idoit".

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Saw that, between that turd (he asked the Shrillery campaign what questions they wanted him to ask during a GOP debate he was "moderating"), B Stiller aka Mr. Potato Head, and J Toobin who choked his chicken while staring at his female coworkers faces during a Zoom call, CNN is finally flushing the toilet.

Problem is, the place looks and smells like a nasty gas station bathroom in August. The building needs to be torn down, the on-air employees sold off into sexual slavery, and the earth salted and fenced off as a warning to others - like the Forbidden Zone from Planet of the Apes.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Apparently there's a push on Twitter for NBC to shitcan Chuck Todd and replace him with Jim Acosta because Todd is too easy on Republicans and too tough on Democrats. It just shows that if there is any line you're not willing to cross, the Woke will throw you under the bus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

30. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Any republican that goes on the MTP must be a complete sadist. I can understand why they would go when it was run by Tim Russert prior to the rise of Fox News. But in this day and age, MTP is as useless as an advanced degree from OU.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1