The 'Millennials'

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by TexasGolf, May 3, 2011.

1. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

Saw this 60 Min. again recently. We have a "millennial" here in our office. This is very accurate of this particular person.

This person drives me crazy and not in a sexual way.

I just want to scream at this person...
    "If you go out of town for the weekend to party and show up on Monday dead tired, do not both coming to work. If you go out on Monday or other week day and come in late to the office, hung over, tired and unfocused do not bother."

This persons additude and out look is just different. I guess I have become the square I once despised. [​IMG]

Sorry just had to vent [​IMG]
    The Link

"Some of the others are absolutely incorrigible. It's their way or the highway."

"You do have to speak to them a little bit like a therapist on television might speak to a patient," Salzman says, laughing. "You can't be harsh. You cannot tell them you're disappointed in them. You can't really ask them to live and breathe the company. Because they're living and breathing themselves and that keeps them very busy."

"These young people will tell you what time their yoga class is and the day's work will be organized around the fact that they have this commitment. So you actually envy them. How wonderful it is to be young and have your priorities so clear. Flipside of it is how awful it is to be managing the extension, sort of, of the teenage babysitting pool," Salzman tells Safer.

"It's a perfect storm we have created to put these people in a position where they suddenly have to perform as professionals and haven't been trained," Crane says.

Basic training, like how to eat with a knife and fork, or indeed how to work. Today, fewer and fewer middle class kids hold summer jobs because mowing lawns does not get you into Harvard.

"They have climbed Mount Everest. They've been down to Machu Picchu to help excavate it. But they've never punched a time clock. They have no idea what it's like to actually be in an office at nine o'clock, with people handing them work," Crane says.

She maintains that while this generation has extraordinary technical skills, childhoods filled with trophies and adulation didn't prepare them for the cold realities of work.

"You now have a generation coming into the workplace that has grown up with the expectation that they will automatically win, and they'll always be rewarded, even for just showing up," Crane says.

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I think these generational distinctions are arbitrary and meaningless, as if everyone in the demographic conforms to the stereotype. Does it really seem to be that uniform where you are? Maybe I just don't see it. In my experience people in the work force are just a cross-section of society, some are young and inexperienced, some come in with a good work ethic and others don't.

If those attitudes and behaviors persist then management is to blame. We have to set expectations for performance and hold people accountable.

3. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I think these generational distinctions are arbitrary and meaningless, as if everyone in the demographic conforms to the stereotype.

Dio, any college or corporate recruiter would tell you that you are wrong.

4. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

the one in our office is a clock watcher...something single people in sales people should not be

5. I_Live_In_OK

I_Live_In_OK 500+ Posts

1. Amend current company hiring policy to recruit "hot, young female Millennial ***"

2. Interview and hire "hot millennial ***"

3. ???

4. Probably won't profit

6. Bluff Horn

Bluff Horn 250+ Posts

These young people will tell you what time their yoga class is and the day's work will be organized around the fact that they have this commitment. So you actually envy them. How wonderful it is to be young and have your priorities so clear. Flipside of it is how awful it is to be managing the extension, sort of, of the teenage babysitting pool," Salzman tells Safer.

Uh, these young people would not be working for me long.

7. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

8. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

Dionysus and I agree on something. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

How the heck did that happen?

10. djimaplon

djimaplon 250+ Posts

Their music sucks.

11. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

Who raised these millennials to act that way?

12. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

13. Larry T. Spider

Some millennials turned out great, some turned out to self absorbed ********. You can take a large graduating senior class of 500 teens and see all different types of attitudes. They all had the same teachers, tv shows, neighborhood, and politicians yet their attitudes about education, politics, and work are vastly different. The main factor in determining these attitudes are the people (or lack thereof) in the house. The research has stated this time and time again. I have access to peer reviewed research on what the most influential factors are if anybody is interested.

A couple of my favorite quotes:

14. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

If people are like their parents then very little would change from generation to generation.I agree that parents have the biggest impact on a child, but maybe its the little things that make the difference. The stereotypes of generations are not simply drawn out of thin air. Environment, not just parents, plays a role in molding children into adults.

15. Larry T. Spider

The environment outside of the parents certainly makes a difference. But, much of that environment (media, school, etc) is largely adult driven. I don't envy the job of today's parents. It has to be hard to walk the line of giving children enough exposure to the world so that they can handle it without them being overexposed to the negative infulences.

16. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

18. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Hilarious. Every generation thinks the one succeeding it is going to ruin everything.

My dad told him that HIS dad told him that HIS dad (my great grandfather) said in 1935 that the current generation of young people would result in the death of the United States. All it did was win World War II.

By the way, from my years of management: if you want to kill initiative, install a time clock.