The New Face of Our Program

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dukesteer, Jan 2, 2019.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Like many of us, I was wrong about Sam, and TH had it right.

Like Ricky, who springboarded the program for Mack in 98, it seems to me that Sam is now the face of the program, projecting exactly what Herman wants to project: Toughness. “We’re more physical than you are, and we are about to prove it.”

This kid exudes toughness and confidence. In fact, I cannot think of a more physical QB in the country. It’s exactly the image that TH wants to project, and probably the type of players he wants to and is recruiting. Boiling it down, I think he sees football as a simple game. The more physical team wins.

Happy times are here again.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Ricky said pretty much the same about the whole team. They earned the win. Sam sort of brings that out. Said the players for years just expected to win because they were Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Well said @dukesteer ... and add in the fact that this kid seems to have been born to be the Texas QB. The only way to properly complete Sam’s legend is with a natty and maybe a Heisman. Wouldn’t that be fun?

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

At times, the conversation comes up on ‘who’s your favorite Texas player?’ And now this, Sam comes along it just makes the discussion that much harder.

What a great young man and ambassador

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sam's running toughness is a tremendous asset. He has a knack for gaining the extra yard(s). He is slippery for a power runner (I think he is a power runner, a fullback type).

But I'm most impressed with his progress taking care of the ball, his judgement in tough situations; and his accuracy making the short and medium range pass.

If Sam develops more accuracy hitting the long pass, hitting the receiver in stride deep, then our offense will be pretty much unstoppable. The kid has arrived. No moment seems too big for him.

• Like Like x 8
  6. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Sam is also getting good at the back shoulder throw. Impossible to stop to CJ. I'd seriously throw that 6x or more a game until they double him. Then of course Duverney and LJH are in man. Any oh man do I like to see LJH in man. One missed tackle and take it to the house. We will be lethal next year. What we really need are some bad *** D lineman to replace our Srs.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Our Dline will be a big issue against LSU, but other than that, I think they will be up to the challenge against the rest of our schedule.

Did anyone notice that it was a true freshmen that lead us in tackles against Georgia. Hats off to Joseph Ossai who stepped big in this game. He is going to be a good one for us.

Keep in mind that it is likely that Roach will be moved back to DE next year and he will go along with Bimage, and Ta'quon Graham will be the most experienced dlinemen we have, toss in Daniel Carson, Keondre Coburn, and Moro Ojomo and we should be a pretty salty dline that will get much better as the season progresses.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Wilbon and Christmas need to step up too

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

I truly agree. So does Charles Omenihu. If you get a chance listen to the post game interview. He goes out of his way to address his feelings about Sam. Gave me chills knowing how much of a beast and alpha Omenihu is.

• Like Like x 4
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He needs to learn how to throw all passes over the middle. Height is an issue, but Brees does it so no reason Sam cannot learn.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

If one uses Sam’s growth from his freshman to his sophomore year as a guage, next season could be stellar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Kid has got everything.
    Sam's stats this year were remarkable, but his leadership is what is off the charts. He has tremendous character.
    Its hard to imagine that he won't be in the Heisman race next season.
    We do have some attrition on the OL, but I think we have the leadership in place to keep the wheels on the offense with Sam.

I love that we have our very own Wreck it Ralph at QB. He totally reminds me of that character. Especially in the way he wrecks safeties.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  13. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

I thought there might be a picture of Bevo as the new face....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

But, Ralph is softer than Sam.

15. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I was cheerleader with Sam's Aunt and Uncle and KNEW his heart and I NEVER, EVER, EVER had any doubt....
    Sam is living his dream....we are lucky enough to have a seat to watch...great things are coming!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Viper, do you mean his throws are low? Because he's supposedly 6'2" or 6'3"....Brees is 6'0" (maybe) so there was always incorrect speculation he'd never make it in the NFL.....

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

No his accuracy over the middle is impaired due to his hight deficiency. Brees has overcome the same deficiency.

18. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

So Sam is not 6'2 or 6'3? Or is that height now "deficient" like 6'0 used to be?

19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Based on what we saw this year and his will to win — plus arguably the destiny factor — I wouldn’t put anything past Sam.

I love the fact that Sam dreamed all his life of this role. Contrast that to virtually all other QBs, including Mayfield and Murray. Let me add that the kid has amazing poise and humility when the cameras are rolling.

Pretty special indeed, and pretty rare.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

It is amazing to see young people 20 and under who are more mature than most 35 year olds. Sam is one such kid. That is very rare.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2