They blew up the wrong stadium

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Longhorny630, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

The Link

I'd hate to be the morons that mistakenly blew up Texas Stadium instead of Cowboys Stadium

2. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

3. Orange Marrow

Orange Marrow 250+ Posts

I think 630 is making an editorial commentary here.... [​IMG]

4. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

Nice dumb remark 630. Texas Stadium needed to go.

5. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Maybe Texas Stadium needed to go, but that DeathStar they replaced it with is total crap. The new stadium is a piece of **** that exemplifies the greed of JJones and is a monument to excess.

6. Third Coast

I personally think the new stadium is awesome and that's a good thing, because I'm a Cowboys fan that attends most of their home games.

7. glenn

glenn 1,000+ Posts

yeah, this was a sad day for tom landry, wherever he is.

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I think that Tom Landry would agree, were he to be alive still, that Texas Stadium needed to go. Maybe not the new one but for sure it had to be replaced. I was last there for the Colorado debacle and what a piece of **** that place was. It was never that great of a place to watch football compared to countless other venues. It was for sure not fitting for a team of the success the Cowboys achieved with Landry. They could have and should have done better.

Granted, it was no Veteran's Stadium like in Philly or the old Foxboro but it was not great.

9. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

Just to clarify my position, I really have no difference as to whether they blew up Texas Stadium because I'm not a Cowboys fan and could care less but, I hate that monstrosity that Jerruh built and greatly fear for the future of the Texas ou game's location and the thought of having to play every Big XII title game in that absolutely terrible atmosphere that is completely un-collegiate like where the TV literally blocks your view of the game.

Also, I find it ******** that they count as part of the official attendance people who are standing outside of the actual stadium watching the game on TV's. The largest capacity stadium in the state of Texas belongs in Austin, and in my view, still is in Austin.

10. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

Cowboys Stadium is simply not a good place to watch a live football game. The fact that people will watch football there was an afterthought to the designers. The primary design goal was to maximize revenue streams that do not have to me shared with other NFL teams under the current NFL revenue sharing agreement. In this regard, it is a huge success, at least for now. I don't see this place aging well in the future.

Bernard

11. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

12. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

13. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

14. Lidig8r

Lidig8r 250+ Posts

You know.. for the longest time, I railed on Laura Miller and the Dallas City Council for not having the foresight to enter into an agreement with Smiley Jones to have the new Cowboys Stadium built in Fair Park.. but....

After experiencing the Death Star for the Big XII championship game... THANK GOD it did not happen.

The Texas - Ou game in the Deathstar would be the epitome of suck...

15. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

The ballpark is not beautiful. Its the cookie cutterest of Camden Yards remakes from the 90s. Plus what is the red brick mindset of Americans? Especially when it has no context.

16. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

17. Third Coast

It's apparent that many are biased not just because of the Stadium, but who plays in it and owns it. I admit that I too am biased in a positive way, because of my love of the team and the fact that I had an engraved paver in memory of my late son placed in the Cowboys Legacy Walk around the stadium when it was built. He is the only person I know that is a bigger Cowboys fan than I am.

18. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

The mistake was building that thing in the first place or not exploding it 30 years ago. I hated going to games there. The roof was stupid and made it miserable to sit there for a game. Especially in Aug or Sept when its still 100 degrees in Irving and there is no breeze blowing through.

19. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

anyone who thinks the stadium is better in arlington that it would have been in fair park nees to be shot. biggest mistake for dallas in the last 20 years.

20. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

The good thing about Texas Stadium is that there wasn't a bad seat in the house. Nothing to block sight lines.

I love the Cowboys, and I would dearly love for them to have a stadium that I could embrace. But I just cannot embrace that piece of **** in Arlington. It may be fine for watching the sterile NFL, but for college games, it's atrocious. I never want to set foot in it again, and I will only if it's the site of the Big12 CG and Texas is playing in it. And even then, I protest.

If they move the Texas/OU game there, I will not go. That game belongs at the State Fair and only at the State Fair!

21. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

22. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

TexasJack,

You insult me because I don't like a stadium?? Nowhere have I insulted others who happen disagree with me.

23. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I remeber going to Texas Stadium as a kid in the late 70s and early 80s, and I thought it was great. But the last time I went there, for the 2005 Cowboys-Eagles game (the day after Texas beat the snot out of OU), I could tell it needed to go. It was one of the last stadiums built the OLD way, with closed-off concourses, narrow back passageways, and just odd, quirky, seemingly random structures that impeded traffic flow in many spots.

The new stadium is built in the new way-- completely open concourses and wide avenues around the perimeter. It's a better overall design, and I look forward to seeing the Cowboys play there one day soon, but for a college game, the atmosphere was pretty terrible. But that's not specific to Cowboys Stadium, I've felt that way in every NFL stadium I've ever watched a college game including Texas Stadium, Reliant, the Astrodome, and the Superdome.

24. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

25. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

OK, so I took it the wrong way. But I have no aversion to technology -- hell, stadia that I love, like our own football and baseball ballyards, and The Ballpark in Arlington, are chock-full of technology. (OK, so sometimes it doesn't always work right, but we have video boards and electric scoreboards that are run by computers).

I just happen to think that Jerry's new playtoy is excessive and ridiculous, and ugly to boot. I think it looks like it was designed by George Jetson's architect, and that's not a good thing.

The video board is way too big and too much of a distraction. At the Big12, I found that it was pulling my attention away from the actual action on the field -- I got caught in its tractor beam. I had to keep reminding myself of how much money I paid for my ticket and that if I wanted to watch on a screen, I could have saved about $100 and watched at home.

The greed is the stupid SRO sections. I can't believe people are foolish enough to pay to stand and watch a game on a screen. The Rangers' home opener this year had a lot of SROs, but at least they were where they could still see the action ON THE FIELD.

I like Reliant Stadium a lot, and even Minute Maid is a good place to watch a game, although a bit contrived. But JerryWorld is awful.

26. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

27. Third Coast

I have seen the surroundings in Arlington and other than the baseball stadium, I have no idea what you are talking about. All the road construction and the amusement park down the street?

28. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

29. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

You didn't notice the architectural details around the exterior -- all the frescoes that pay homage to the state and spirit of Texas? You seriously did not notice any of that???

30. ThxALUMS

ThxALUMS 100+ Posts

Lots of GREAT memories in that stadium.

Three columns still stand for 3 Lombardi trophies of the Jerry Jones 90s Cowboys. do they stand to honor or spite Jerry and the new stadium. it's up to you to decide.

maybe they just stand to remind us temporarily of the Glory in that stadium.
    Emitt Smith rushing titles, 49ers games won and lost. football legends came here for one thing to win over the star.