They Hyundai v. Lexus Campaign is Pissing Me Off

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by suttree, Jul 2, 2007.

1. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

I trust you know what I am talking about. The Hyundai ________ v. the Lexus LS460. The Hyundai SUV is better than the RX. I think there is another one, but really can't remember.

Seriously, who were the marketing geniuses who came up with this? The LS ad is particularly offensive. The two cars cannot realistically be compared, unless the comparison criteria is 4 wheels and an engine.

This is akin to VW taking on MB.

As a luxury car owner I am insulted and disgusted.

2. sawbonz

sawbonz 500+ Posts

They're just trying to make the Hyundai driver's feel better about themselves. Like when Golden Corral advertises all-u-can eat Prime steak.

3. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

holy **** ive been wanting to post about this.

have you seen the one where they compare the hyundai to the 760Li. not the 745Li, which would still be a very, very horrible comparision. but the 760, one of the nicest luxury cars on the planet.

your basically comparing **** to gold in every single one of these ads. even the LR3 comparison is absolutely ridiculous. the small *** hyundai suv has a faster 0-60 time than the land rover? no kidding genius. but the land rover beats the hyundai in number of cup holders.... [​IMG]

if i was a hyundai owner i would be embarrassed but im confused as to why you are insulted. who cares? its obviously a stupid comparison. are you afraid its wrecking your status symbol?

4. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

Those ads are just horrible.

5. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

They compared it to a land rover as well. Reminds me of those red roof inn commercials.

6. homer

homer 500+ Posts

Lexus is overpriced **** anyway. Hyundai's got some balls. I'd buy a Hyundai but I think they're compromising their original goals of being inexpensive.

I can't wait until Geely, Chery, Great Wall Motors, Zhongxing, FAW, Zhonghua, Hafei Motor, SAIC, Lifan etc. come to USA. Also to watch out for: Tata, Mahindra, Maruti, etc.

I am anxiously awaiting the $5,000 luxury car.

7. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

Hyundai has made great strides in their quality control of late. When Toyota looks over their shoulder to see who is gaining on them, it is Hyundai they are most concerned about.

The marketing geniuses may have jumped the gun on this, but it's possible that their long-term plan is for Hyundai to take on Lexus and KIA to take on Toyota.

8. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

lexus' might be over-priced but they aren't ****. they make very solid automobiles.

9. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

Hyundai will take on Lexus right about the time Hyundai changes its name and starts an entirely new company, with new owners, probably from a different country (Japan or Germany).

Hyundai is synonymous with "cheap." It used to synonymous with "crap," but they have gotten past Yugo stature and climbed up to Pontiac status.

It's like a dude with a somewhat cute wife (little fat, plain, but reliable) comparing her to a supermodel. Please.

10. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

Lexus has been the most reliable luxury car maker for nearly a decade... If consumers want to NOT research their automobile before purchase (HEY THIS DEALERSHIP HAS 0%;WE HAVE TO GET AN '08 KIA, HUNNY!), that's fine by me.

Have any of your friends with these types of cars ever said, "hey, my Hyundai has 12 more cubic inches of legroom than your Lexus"? If so, you should immediately laugh at them, then offer to trim their wool coat since it's June.

11. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

12. PipFunatUT

PipFunatUT 500+ Posts

as someone who drives an 06 lex, they are crap... id rather be driving that VW phan thing, thats for sure... (hyundai's are crap also fyi)

13. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

i presume you drive an IS?

14. homer

homer 500+ Posts

please. if you this lexus is such a bargain, why do you feel offended by some bold marketing?

let me help you with this: you regret overpaying for a lexus. you can get 95% of the car for 50% the cost. the extra 5% cost you dearly.

15. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

16. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

17. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

Part of the cost you pay for a BMW and a Lexus is the WAY better service you get. I've seen people deal with Honda dealerships and how Acura dealerships work... I've seen the struggles of the Kia and Hyundai dealerships as well. And then I see how easy as balls it is for my dad and my fiance's dad to take in their Lexus/BMW and I totally understand why they cost more. They will come to their house, drop off a loaner, and take their car in for service and then do the reverse to get their car back to them. I have to fight day and night to get a loaner or sit in their waiting room, drinking their crap OJ, watching their puny TV tuned to soap operas.... [​IMG]

I'm definitely buying a BMW or Lexus with my next car purchase regardless of how many commercials Hyundai puts out.

18. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

When you see all the commercials comparing various cars to Hondas, Lexus, Mercedes, or BMW, there is a reason. Those have been good cars, for differing reasons, for many years.
    If Hyundai builts Lexus quality cars for 10 or 15 years, they will become known for making good cars, but a commercial stating they make great cars isn't going to convince me.

19. sawbonz

sawbonz 500+ Posts

20. stockjock

stockjock 250+ Posts

21. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

22. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

Sorry you paid too much for your Lexus.

My Hyundai SUV cost me $17,000 5 years ago, still runs great, and only has spent time in the shop because people keep running into it. I guess they're jealous.
    If I paid twice as much for a Lexus, what do I get other than the cachet of having a Lexus? Sure, they're not the same car -- but for many people, the purpose of a car is to take you and your things from point A to B, and $20,000 extra in fit-and-finish and front door service isn't worth it.
    Besides, the commercial's not for people who own or can afford Lexuses -- it's for the young and poor who wish they could.

23. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain 250+ Posts

24. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I drive an '06 Sonata. It is loaded. (Yes, you can "load" a Hyundai. Leather, sunroof, decent stereo, the usual. It also features a 235 hp V6 motor which actually moves the car pretty well, although the gas mileage isn't great.) There's a lot of value in that 10-year warranty, too. My kids will drive the wheels off this thing.

I paid $20,500 cash for it, new, 14 months ago. I have had zero problems with it. So far, it's been bulletproof. It does what I need it to do -- it gets me to and from work, and hauls kids.

Service has been a non-issue, as oil changes cost $19, and the dealer gets them done in about 45 minutes. I really don't understand the ROI of paying thousands (if not tens of thousands) of dollars more for "free" oil changes and roadside assistance. AAA covers the latter, anyway.

I have long since moved past the point in my life where my self-worth is tied to the badge on the front of my vehicle.

Is it the equivalent of a Lexus? Hell no. Is it likely the best value in a sedan on the market today? Hell yes.

25. cbs

cbs 500+ Posts

I've received a Hyundai as a rent car on two recent trips, and I was very surprised at their quality. Comfortable leather seats, sunroof, decent amount of power, etc. Frankly, not a whole lot of difference between them and my wife's Lexus ES.

26. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

27. random horn

random horn 250+ Posts

I have a Lexus and the Hyundai commercials don't get me bent out of shape. Hyundai's come a long way, baby, and good for them. Their cars were **** years ago and their quality has been steadily improving; JD Power ranks them ahead of a number of US, German, and Japanese brands.

However, that doesn't lessen my car in any way; it's still just as nice and performs just as well as before. Plus, when I bought the car, the Lexus dealership delivered the car to me (an hour away), I signed the paperwork, and then they drove my trade-in back (no red bow, sorry). When I took it in for an oil change they had a loaner waiting for me (I had called ahead). They've even followed up with an email to make sure that everything was satisfactory.

Did I pay more than absolutely necessary for basic transportation? Yes. Do I care? No - I got the car I wanted and I enjoy driving it. Some of y'all really need to relax.

28. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

For you Hyundai owners, do you valet, or self-park? I am guessing the latter.

Will they even valet a Hyundai? Not sure, but doubtful.

C'mon, guys. A Timex is not the same thing as a Rolex. If you can't afford it, great, but don't start acting like your Timex is anything other than a cheap piece of crap.

29. RollingwoodHorn

RollingwoodHorn 500+ Posts

Our household has a Lexus ES, Lexus RX and Hyundai Azera. I prefer the Hyundai in pretty much every way except the emblem on the grill.

30. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts