Thread to discuss teams and games not involving Texas in 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Tennessee loses at Alabama; doesn't help our SOS. But, could push us ahead of them in the seedings. They play at South Carolina on Sunday at the same time we are playing West Viriginia.

2. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

And might have lost their best player, Horston, to an injury in the final minutes of play.

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Tina Thompson gets her first ACC win of the season as Virigina defeats Duke, 67-54; that's a crushing blow to Duke's NCAA at-large chances.

EDIT: Her first ACC win in 721 days or so.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  4. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Yep, unfortunately Celeste's return to the floor has not helped Duke. Still rusty, I presume.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Sure wish Celeste had stayed here instead.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Just read where one of the Mississippi St assistant coaches (Malikah Willis) officially resigned after not being on the bench since December due to some “rift” with interim head coach Doug Novak.

Those players have endured a lot since Vic left I’d say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Just scanning how some upcoming teams are playing. Noticed last Saturday that KState went 1-22 from BTA against Kansas. Two comments. Another reason to not let Lee beat you. If Horns sent 1-22, this site would go into total meltdown. We play KState next after WV.

8. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Watching OU-ISU on ESPN+. Both teams shooting well, especially since on many shots there is no defender within 3 feet of them. Would be great to hear the announcers say "I bet they're really glad to not be facing Texas' defense", but probably won't happen.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Texas Tech just refusing to help us out after beating OU on the road on Wednesday.

They hosted Kansas today:

- Led 15-9 after 1st quarter
    - Led 38-25 after 2nd quarter
    - Trailed 47-49 after 3rd quarter after allowing KU to outscore them 24-9
    - Allowed KU to build their lead up to 9 points
    - Fought back to eventually take a couple of 1 point leads; last one at 68-67 with 34 seconds left; but, couldn't score again and lost 68-71

Honestly, I'd be happy to see Gerlich lose every game the rest of the season. But, a KU loss today would have helped us in the Big 12 standings. Tech's win over us in Austin is our worst loss (Q3). A few wins could get them out of there and into Q2; that would help us in the long run.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

ISU beats OU, 89-67. That's now 3 losses in a row for OU, which makes me happy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

KA gets her 6th win of the season against LA Tech, 3rd win in conference. UTSA went 2-18(0-14) last season, so much improved. Would expect nothing less from KA in a much weaker CUSA. She will have them competing for a conference title within 2-3 seasons. Elyssa Coleman is really starting to come along lately, had 15PTS & 10REB today.

• Like Like x 6
  12. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Kansas still has OU, Baylor, Texas, and Iowa State left on their schedule. That's a rough path.

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Dang, Auburn beat Georgia. Precious Johnson was a starter.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Ok, for someone in the know: What has happened to Georgia Tech? 3-23 and only 12 points at half-time against unranked Miami? They struggled their last game, also. Are they missing someone?

15. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

In addition, Honesty Scott-Grayson, who started out at Baylor in 2018, had a big game for Auburn.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Washington St upsets Arizona 72-67 in Pullman

• Like Like x 4
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

KSU thumps OSU 65-38 in Manhattan. Only lost one home game all season.

• Like Like x 2
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Huge game Wednesday night.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Stanford storms back with to close the game on a 14-2 run to win at Oregon. Our win over Stanford continues to look strong.

• Like Like x 5
  20. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Reminder to fans. Take no win for granted at this time of the year. Every win is a great win! Some teams are energized. Some teams are tired. Some teams are coming together and getting stronger. Some teams have injuries. Some teams are getting players back from injuries. Conference rivalries are strong; and the coaches and teams often know each other well.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

For the second time in three days, #22 Iowa defeats #10 Indiana 88-82. Caitlin Clark had 29 pts for Iowa.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Apologies if this was noted previously, but Mulkey has gone all-in with a senior-studded lineup. LSU's Top 6 players ranked by MPG are grad students or 5th-year Seniors, less one who is a 4th-year Senior.

Poor Hannah Gusters (So) is next in minutes (14), with under 5 PPG. (Coach should play her more or else she'll transfer! Just kidding. :hookem:)

Not surprisingly, these 6 represent the heavy bulk of their scoring.

Next year will be a far better measure of how quickly she can turn that program around. Still, it's impressive what she has cobbled together so quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Winner rated for the Hannah Gusters parenthetic commentary...

• Like Like x 1
  25. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Not so sure top teams/coaches have to “build” anymore. In todays era of the transfer portal, a top team could materialize out of thin air. I expect they are back for good.

• Agree Agree x 4
  26. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I partially agree, but not every coach can pull this off, no matter how much they use the portal.

Nonetheless, I have my own portal wish list described in the 2022 Recruiting thread.

27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. And although KM didn't exactly dive into the pool of talent at LSU comparable to what she had amassed at Baylor, the cupboard wasn't exactly bare. There were two very good players already there in Pointer and Aifuwa. Add Alexis Morris and the other experienced capable players Cherry and Newby and you've got a pretty solid core. I would imagine KM may have already assessed what she was stepping into. I predict she will have LSU consistently competing, while her predecessor at Baylor may be able to somewhat ride that program's reputation for a year or two but will decline after that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  28. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

KM admitted in a postgame interview that she was lucky to have those six seniors (and noted “all you coaches out there know there’s nothing better than experienced players”). She also proceeded to warn the fans it might be getting the cart before the horse as far as next season goes, so she’s already (smartly so) trying to lower expectations. Kudos for the honesty/obvious *** covering

29. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I wonder how long it will take before the LSU fans become as obnoxious as the BU fans? KM has a way of putting her stink on things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Just wondering... If we were 20-2 against Baylor over the last 10 years, how would their fanbase feel about us?