Thread to discuss teams and games not involving Texas in 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Nov 15, 2021.

1. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I think all of them have gotten the reputation of "angry" coach. At least that's what I've gotten from comments of players leaving their programs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

There were very derogatory remarks made by numerous Loyola-Chicago players about Swoopes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Noticed Paige Bueckers has a hurt knee from yesterday. MRI taken. If she is out for an extended time, UCONN might lose several games.

4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Geno has been playing his starters late in blowout games for years with Top 50 recruits sitting at the end of the bench. I think most of us have wondered when something like this might happen.

“A short-handed UConn team may be without starter Paige Bueckers after she injured herself with 38 seconds remaining in a blowout win over Notre Dame on Sunday…”

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m not expecting much will come of her injury. The DMNews mention seemed it’s not serious.

6. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Texas is 11 and Tennessee 10 and Stanford 8 in The Athletic’s rankings by Jennings this morning. Baylor looks beatable at 5. After we beat Arizona we’ll be in top 10.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Hope Paige is ok. I have a love hate relationship with UCONN and Geno but hate it when the kids get hurt. My maternal instincts kick in and I just want to run on the court. Yes, I'm that momma.

8. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Man I was hoping Tina was a success. I think perhaps starting at a mid major, Division 2 or 3 and figuring it out as a head coach bodes well for those who go that route. You have zero expectations so you can stink it up a few years. Figure out how to recruit. Try different defenses and offenses and which to run when. Teach yourself how to manage your players, their personalities and their strengths and weaknesses. And then how to put it all together to build a program. A brand new head coach needs at least 6 years to figure it out. So whether it's JUCO, D2, D3, or whatever, I still believe you have to put in the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I think OU may be the surprise team in the conference this year. Their coach loves offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The problem for OU is defense. They don’t have any to speak of. They allowed 78 points on average against teams like SMU, Arkansas State and South Dakota.

They scored 93 against Oregon (wow) but allowed Oregon to put up 98. Imagine scoring 93 and still losing.

Texas tends to disrupt good offensive teams.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 3
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

From ESPN just a few minutes ago: UConn's Paige Bueckers out 6-8 weeks with fracture

UConn's Bueckers out 6-8 weeks with fracture

12. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Fracture is not the diagnosis that crossed my mind. What a freak injury. Azzi Fudd is still out last I heard as well. Hate it for injured players

13. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Iowa St is hosting Iowa on ESPNU currently. Looks to be a good game

14. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Iowa St vs Iowa was a fun game to watch. Two pretty evenly matched teams. LOTS of three pointers. Iowa State wins 77-70. Joens and Clark both had 26, but both shot a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

It really was a fun game to watch. And of course, before a huge/loud crowd at Iowa St.
    I did not realize Iowa had a 5-game winning streak against the Cyclones

Sidenote: Interesting to see the Iowa cheerleaders and mascot in the Hilton. Texas should do that in Waco lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I’m intrigued with Nell Fortner’s Georgia Tech team hosting UCONN tonight. I watched them beat Georgia in a really good game.

In addition to Bueckers and Azzi Fudd, UCONN has lost a third Guard to injury in Nika Muhl. Of course they’ve still got Evina Westbrook and Christyn Williams but I think down to just one other Guard after that. My DVR is set

• Like Like x 1
  17. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Got a text from a friend who advised me to turn into the game. I tuned in at the last 30 seconds. What my friend said to me was confusing. "the coach that Texas Tech fired is Iowa's coach". Mmmm, I went to look at the bio of the coach Lisa Bluder and that doesn't look right. I went to all the assistants and they're all long-time assistants. What did my friend misunderstand?

Also my thought was, without watching any of the game, that yeah Iowa St. is scoring lots of points, but that's the type of team that runs into a Vic team and stumbles. Think Maryland.

But then, ugh TWO Joens sisters? Ugh.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Don’t think Iowa coach is from Tech. Iowa St is always good offensively, but not on the defensive side. Fennelly is one of the most brilliant half court offensive minds in the game but mostly plays zone and junk defenses. Vic is big on defense, but understands the importantance of having multiple weapons to score. I prefer Vic’s more balanced approach because most of these offensive juggernauts crumble when facing the relentless physicality and pressure of a Schaefer defense....

19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Was wondering how Johnnie Harris was doing at Auburn. So far she's 5-3 and just finished beating OK-State 77-66, impressive.

What's more impressive is that last year, Auburn was 5-19! It can only go up!

20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Marlene Stollings hasn’t been hired anywhere since Tech fired her.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  21. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Frankly I’d be surprised to see Stollings on the staff of any Div 1 school after what was uncovered at Tech

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

A. Joens is really good….and relentless. And little sister A. Joens is good as well as a sophomore starting guard. I keep thinking the eldest will graduate but she is just a senior and has one year left. She isn’t sure she’ll play next year. I’ll bet she does. There are five Joens sisters. The rumor is that the fourth grader will be the best of the sisters. The Joens family runs a restaurant and A. Joens waits tables, washes dishes, and sometimes cooks. The family is truly a hard-working Midwest salt of the earth family. I root for them and IState.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Would love to see Nell and team beat UConn. (I know Uconn not at full strength.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I totally agree on your comment about the cheerleaders and mascot being at Hilton as a visitor. Iowa and Iowa State seem to have a love hate and respect relationship. Not a hate hate relationship like our Waco and Aggie counterparts. Would like to see CDC consider this!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

It will be interesting to watch UCONN for the next weeks/months. And tonight. In 8 days they lost Fudd for a couple weeks, then Bueckers for 8 weeks, then Nika Muhl for a few weeks. That’s 3 guards of their 7. Poffenberger transferred earlier. Go RAMBLING WRECK !

• Like Like x 1
  26. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Sorry Hornview. You covered all this earlier. It still doesn’t keep me from rooting against UCONN!

• Like Like x 1
  27. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I’m right there with you no problem. I’m a big fan of Nell and would love to see her get this win in addition to a UCONN loss. Their bench is never chopped liver though lol

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

This may not be popular, but I would posit that our relationship with ou comes closer to love/hate than does our relationship with aggy. aggy culture is a mystery to us and, for numerous reasons, they have a tremendous amount of resentment for us. I think we have more in common with ou than with aggy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  29. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I’m also curious to see how Jackson St fares against Arkansas tonight

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Nell did it - ends UCONN’s 240 game win streak vs unranked opponents.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1