Thread to discuss teams and games not involving Texas in 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Nov 15, 2021.

1. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Georgia Tech prevailed so I’ll be watching that recording later

DePaul upset Kentucky in Lexington

• Like Like x 1
  2. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I was so enamored with the GT-UCONN game, I toggled between it and the first half of our volleyball game, and the KY-DePaul games. Sure feels good to see UCONN go down. We better enjoy it while UCONN is injured. Then I got to see the full time the volleyball win.

• Like Like x 4
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Bueckers is indeed a great player... but with all the top-rated talent UConn has there's no way they should be THAT out of sorts from missing one player. Don't get me wrong... glad to see them go down but that's a typical example of what happens when you make everything the team does go through one player.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Well I get your point and it sounds like Geno may agree somewhat after last night but UCONN currently has four players out with injuries

5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

UConn still has experienced players...
    Evina Westbrook Hoopgurlz #2 returning starter
    Christyn Williams Hoopgurlz #1 returning starter
    Olivia Nelson-Ododa Hoopgurlz #5 returning starter
    Dorka Juhasz Ohio St transfer and 2x All Big Ten first team.
    Aalihay Edwards former Canadian top recruit started six games last year and appeared in 24 games

• Like Like x 3
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Ooof…

#3 UConn, RV* Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets beat the Huskies 57-44. A sickos game for the ages, as the teams combined to shoot 34.5% from the field, 21.2% from three, and 56.0% from the line. Georgia Tech entered with a Her Hoop Stats defensive rating in the 99th percentile, while UConn entered missing all three of its point guards against a team known for interior defense. As noted by UConn beat writer Daniel Connolly, the Huskies had more fourth-quarter turnovers than points and notched a single point in the final 8:39; this is UConn’s first loss to an unranked squad in 240 games (St. John’s, 2012) and worst scoring output since 2006.

Point guard Lotta-Maj Lahtinen led the Yellow Jackets with a game-high 15 points on 4-for-12 from the field (2-5 3pt., 5-8 FT), three assists, and two steals against a lone turnovers; center Nerea Hermosa had 13 points on 6-for-13 shooting, six rebounds, and three assists; big Lorela Cubaj notched seven points on 2-for-7 FG (1-4 FT), 13 rebounds, seven assists, two steals, and two blocks against three turnovers. The Huskies were led by combo guard Christyn Williams’ 13 points on 6-for-19 from the field and 1-for-8 from three, three assists, and four turnovers while playing the whole game; center Olivia Nelson-Ododa had a double-double with 12 points on 5-for-11 FG and 10 rebounds with three blocks against three turnovers; wing Evina Westbrook scored 11 points on 4-for-10 shooting (1-4 3pt.) with six assists, three steals, and three turnovers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

In my fair and biased opinion, it was an ugly game. The teams were very similar as they were big and slow. Clogged up the middle and no one could shoot outside. And I’m not even attempting to define that big and slow. I thought GTech’s point guard Lahtivan did a good job with few turnovers. I wondered what she would have done against pressure as she’s 5’-9” and not very fast….but skilled. I looked up the roster and GT has a lot of foreign players…..Spain, Romania, Latvia, Italy, Finland, and my non-favorite county of California. Geno is not optimistic about correcting the deficiencies with current cast. Until his point guards get back.

• Like Like x 4
  8. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Sooners beat number 16 BYU tonight. 99-91. Lots of flinging in that one. Matador defense. However, Land Thieves appear to be pretty good. Maddie Williams is their top player.

9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Hogs won 66-62

10. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I'm surprised and worried that a first year coach can turn it around that fast for OU. Their roster was pretty shoddy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I'm also surprised that friend-of-the-Horns Nell Fortner has done well with Georgia Tech. She'd been out of coaching a while, so I didn't know if she still had what it took to coach in these times.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

She came from Drake and, IIRC, her teams were a bit undersized, loved to bomb away from deep and were pretty good mid-majors. OU’s (sux) roster is remarkably similar with a couple of good outside shooters. They’ve already attempted 300 3-pters and are making 34.7%.

13. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

OU made 45% of their 3’s (13 makes) against BYU and had (surprisingly) 17 offensive rebounds. They did lose Senior starting Guard Ana Llanusa to what looked like a significant leg/knee injury in the first half. She was on crutches, full leg brace and knee wrap on the bench after halftime. I didn’t watch a lot of the game but Maddie Williams looked pretty formidable

• Like Like x 1
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Anyone else gonna watch the game at 2:00 (ESPN) between the team whose season Texas “shockingly” ended (Maryland) and the team who sent the Longhorns home (South Carolina)? Talk about contrasting styles.

15. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

DVR’ing it hoping it’s a good game. And somehow I hadn’t put it together in my mind about being the last two teams played last year

16. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Will be interesting to see the Aggy at TCU results today

TCU up by 21 midway through the 2nd Qtr hmmm

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  17. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

TCU up 20 on ags at Halftime

I don’t know what to think about that

18. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

So TCU won by 12 points and led by 29 at one point so you’re probably thinking aggy had a lot of turnovers but TCU had 27 and ags 17

19. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Not team related but Jessika Carter from Mississippi state has not been with the team this season due to some personal reasons off the court and I just read that she tried to take her life twice this year in July and at the end of November.

I teared up reading the article because, you just never know what someone is going through on the inside. I saw a bunch of Mississippi state fans as well as others talk down on Jessika for her incident that occurred and it clearly took a toll on her. she went to a facility and is doing much better now. I just thought I’d share with everyone because mental health is real and not talked about enough especially within athletes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Lauren Heard, in her 10th season of eligibility, led TCU (3-4) with 33 points. 18 of 21 from the free throw line. a&m (8-1)was not mentally there! TCU led by 20 and more until the 4th quarter when a&m started pressing and putting Heard on the free throw line!! Great win for TCU as the ags were humbled! The announcer mentioned that Heard was approaching becoming the leading scorer in TCU history!

• Funny Funny x 4
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  21. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

TCU made a whole bunch of 3’s and out rebounded them by 19 (with 18 offensive boards).

Aggys 0-2 against the SWC with their next game against former SWC foe Rice

22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

DeSoto HS including Aminu lost Saturday to Sidwell Friends out of Washington, DC 54-36. They are now ranked second in country with 10-1record. Sidwell is ranked first. DeSoto had earlier beat Maryland Bishop McNamara 62-41. Sidwell is a Quaker team but first I’ve heard about their basketball prowess.. Obviously they are good.

23. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Paige Bueckers had surgery so at least 8 more weeks. Geno won’t be on cruise control this season

24. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I have heard of Sidwell Friends. Didn't some Presidential offspring attend there?

25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yes, it's a prestigious private school in the Washington DC area. The daughters of President Obama attended there. There are two locations DC and Bethesda, MD.

26. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

#1 South Carolina beat #15 Duke 55-46 with former Longhorn Destiny Littleton scoring 10 for SC and former Longhorn Celeste Taylor scoring 9 for Duke. Littleton went 3-6 from the three.

27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Watched that game as well, Latasha’s high school teammate and fellow Syracuse decommit Shayeann Day-Wilson looked good for Duke. I’d call her a scorer who plays PG compared to Rori who’s a scoring point guard. Does that make sense?

Duke played 2-3 zone a lot and collapsed onto Boston at every opportunity and it really slowed South Carolina’s offense. At times it brought back memories of recent Longhorn squads against zone defense - pass the ball around the perimeter without much off ball movement and then jack up a mid-to-long range shot just before the shot clock expires. :puke:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Cardoso still isn't being fully utilized at SC. I can't stop thinking what a perfect fit she would've been for us...

• Agree Agree x 6
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  29. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

#17 Georgia just upset #2 North Carolina State in Raleigh 82 to 80 in OT

• Like Like x 3
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  30. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

It was a really good game with a buzzer beating 3 to take it into overtime! Go Dawgs!

Let the upsets continue throughout the weekend!

• Like Like x 6