Tiger: long range prediction

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by orangecat1, Aug 11, 2012.

1. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

I saw Tiger look like the Tiger of old on Friday, he was making putts like crazy, he got every inch of luck he could possibly get, he holed two 360 degree putts, and he put himself in a tie for the lead in a major. Everything looks good for the weekend, I'm looking for an incredibly tight battle between Tiger and whoever.

Then boom! again, he stinks up the joint today.

Keep in mind I'm an old Nicklaus fan, so there's my bias. That being said,
    if Tiger can't get his act together tomorrow and pull some kind of miracle comeback, which he is not known for, then of course that's the end of this year.

My long-range forecast for Tiger is that he wins a maximum of two more majors, but I really think he will win one more major, somehow, I don't know.

But he won't break Jack's record.

And with the level of competition in today's game, i don't think anybody will ever break Jack's record, and it will be a big shock to see anybody win 10 majors.

Jack's record is already similar to Bob Beamon's record in Track and Field, it stood for at least 30 years.

So, will historians view Jack's record up there with Ted Williams .406 and Joe D's 56? If I'm correct, I would put Williams 1st, Joe D 2nd, and Jack 3rd in terms of difficulty in achieving.

2. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Johnny Vander Meer asks that his back to back
    no hitters be considered.

Hard to say about Tiger, is he going to play as long
    as Jack did. I think Jack was 46 when he won that
    last Masters tourney. So Tiger is 36 now. Will his
    desire to break or at least tie Jack's record keep him going?
    Also if he keeps taking those wild swings when in deep rough he could easily injure himself again.

I wonder if playing with 49 year old V.J. Singh and
    seeing him still playing well (tied for the PGA lead) will make him think he could do that for
    13 more years.

Since breaking Jack's record seems to be Tiger's
    main purpose in life, I think he will pursue it till he
    breaks it or is physically unable to continue his quest to become golf's undisputed best player ever.

3. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

that is true, Jack was 46. I saw that ridiculously hard swing Tiger took yesterday or the day before from the rough, can't remember. If he keeps up that kind of punishment on his knee he'll be back in the hospital for something more serious, maybe an artificial knee or something.

He doesn't have anything else to do. Things are much different than they were when Jack was finishing.

Supposedly Jack started designing courses for the money, and he lost interest in the non-major tourneys. I think Jack was in his late 30s when he started focusing on the majors, not sure.

Tiger has been focusing on the majors since 2000? his whole career? don't know. I can't remember the last time Tiger played a "full" schedule, with non-majors included.

4. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I doubt anyone will touch Jack's record for a long time. Tiger seems to make a habit of folding on Saturday and Sunday in tournaments and is pretty much done with the chase.

One guy that might make a run is Rory McIlroy. The best in the world now with two majors and he's only 23.

5. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

6. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

wow, Tiger is folding again. Bad back because of a soft mattress? Give me a break.

I really expected something totally different this weekend. I thought I read someplace that Tiger was motivated by Rory's success.

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

If he does have a bad back for whatever reason, he's only 3 off the lead and five on top of Rory. Rory is more up and down than Sybil.

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

His mojo is gone, and he will be lucky to ever win even one more major. He will never break the record for most majors won, and nobody else ever will, either. Too many well conditioned, well coached players, any one of which can win any given tournament.
    There will never be one, two or three dominant players in this game again.
    Hey, you asked for a prediction.

9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Dude is done. He'll get lucky and win one every now and again, but that confidence and glare is gone.

10. dallastx

dallastx 100+ Posts

My long range prediction for Tiger. He either gets old or he dies.