Tightening screws on towel racks

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by JohnnyM, May 13, 2005.

1. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

You know the little screw that's on the bottom of towel racks, toilet paper holders, etc? Well how the f do you tighten them? I've tried just about everything I can think of and nothing works very well.

2. ldogg53

ldogg53 500+ Posts

tiny allen wrench...
    if you lost the one that came with it, you can get a little allen wrench tool from any hardware store that has like 20 sizes of them...

3. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Here's what's gonna happen: you're gonna select a set of allen wrenches, and no matter what you select (English or metric), the screw is gonna need the other kind. So, just buy two sets of allen wrenches. I like the ones that are all on a common handle like a pocket knife.

4. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

sonofabitch you're kidding me? one didn't come with it, but i'll be going out to get a set today.

by the way, i f'in HATE mr. allen and his wrenches.

5. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

jimmyjazz, words of wisdom indeed. Unless you buy one, go back to buy the other, and only then realize you are looking at a very small torx screw.

6. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

7. Dead Horse

Dead Horse 250+ Posts

On the flip side of hating Mr allen wrenches, don't you just love Mr Phillips and his screws? Greatest invention ever.....behind gold bond and Tivo.

8. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Dr. Regular never gets his due. Always a bridesmaid and never a bride.

Ms. Hex is widely known as a *****.

9. lowery21

lowery21 250+ Posts

Try a hammer.

10. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

My experience with hanging towel racks and such is that they don't come with a hex screw, they come with a very tiny Mr. Regular screw that requires one of those eyeglass repair kit screwdrivers.

11. Mrs. Reboot

Mrs. Reboot 100+ Posts

12. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

ah yes, i have both....the small allen screw and the regular screw. neat-o now i get to get a set of unwanted allen wrenches (or, as rumor has it, two sets) and an unwanted eyeglass repair kit. weeeeeee [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Mrs. Reboot

Mrs. Reboot 100+ Posts

I actually find quite a lot of uses for the small screwdrivers. They are handy to have around for towel racks, glasses, electronics and computer parts. Not so unwanted in our house.

14. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

15. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

hell we have a 12x20 shed in the backyard already full of ****. [​IMG]

16. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

You have a 12x20 shed AND you can hit a 2-iron?

I hate you.

17. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

sorry, no....it's a 1-iron [​IMG]

18. HilltopHorn

HilltopHorn 25+ Posts

The Canucks are crazy about the square head....crazy canucks [​IMG]