Tips for a reasonably priced romantic restaurant

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Horns2005, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

So the anniversary is coming up, and I'm looking for a nice restaurant. I would rather not pay for a real expensive meal, as we tend to save our splurges in our diet and wallet for the annual trips to New Orleans and Las Vegas.

Typically, we would go to Tree House, but last time we visited, it appeared the menu got chopped in half, and the food wasn't nearly as good as I remembered.

So anyone have any suggestions before I wimp out and just go to Austin L&C?

2. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

3. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Mirabelle is a great restaurant and a great atmosphere for intimate meals. Are the owners of Castle Hill (former) still owners there?

4. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

chez nous

5. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

another thought -- Jasper's at the Domain

6. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

Does Chez Nous take reservations now? I was under the impression that they only take big parties.

7. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Book "The Vault" in the Main Street Grill up here in Round Rock:

[​IMG]

Check out the menu here:

The Link

8. BigLeonard

BigLeonard 100+ Posts

Chez Nous

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Since nobody has said it, Chez Nous. I have gone there with just one person ( a date) and I had no problems. It is a great place for groups but not necessary unless things have changed since I was last there. I love that place. Chez Nous, J'taime.

10. johnny chimpo

johnny chimpo 500+ Posts

Chez Nous price fix is real tough to beat. Can get quality wines for ~25$ a bottle.

I think Vivo in East Austin has a great ambiance, and they throw the ladies a rose on their way out. Surprisingly cheap. Vivo!

11. someone

someone 250+ Posts

Sienna

12. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

Thanks folks. We ended up taking Thundercloud up to the hotel room with martinis and cake.

13. Friday

Friday 500+ Posts

Oh yeah, I was gonna mention Thundercloud. The California Club is tough to beat.

14. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Make sure you get the guac.

15. Friday

Friday 500+ Posts

16. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Went to Trulucks last night in the Arboretum with the wife for our anniversary. I liked the atmosphere better than Eddie V's downtown.

The food was excellent but not as good as Eddie V's. If I would do it over, I would get the wedge salad (we got it and they split it for us), not get the lump crabcakes (very good but very small) and not get the King Crab addition to my entree ($24 and pretty small). Doing that and our meal would have been about $50 cheaper. Would have been about $110 instead of $160 and would have been a better value too.

We were stuffed and didn't really need those as well.

But the atmosphere was very nice and our waiter was very nice as well.