Tonight’s dinner from our garden

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Dionysus, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

With the exception of the rice, tonight’s dinner came from our garden. Veggie goodness, y’all.

- Okra
    - Tomatoes (with olive oil, red wine, oregano + garlic)
    - Yellow squash
    - Green beans

Tomatoes, squash and zucchini have gone crazy in our garden.

[​IMG]

2. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Looks good. What is on the rice?

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Brown gravy from the roast we had the night before.

4. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

How did you bread the zucchini?

5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

It's the okra that's breaded & fried. My wife did it so I'm not sure of her recipe.

6. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

Wow, I was thinking okra and typed zucchini. It's been a long week.

I was just wondering because my own attempts at frying okra have yet to yield the right results. I'm guessing she used egg, cornmeal, and perhaps a little bit of milk. That's the same combo I've used in the past. Maybe some flour would make a better dredge.

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

sigh. n00b I am. I don't have a green or a brown gravy thumb.

10. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

That fried okra looks almost as good as some of the breaded okra we had at Luby's.

At Luby's, there was always one person in the store who was an expert at breading okra. It's not rocket science, but it does require a special touch.

At most stores I worked that special lady was the vegetable lady, who usually hated breading the okra. But, at some stores, the vegetable lady was put on such a high pedestal that she didn't have to bread the okra, and the laundry lady or one of the cooks would bread the okra.

Especially as an assistant manager, whenever that special person called in sick, the first thing I would check would be how many trays of okra we had breaded. If I didn't solve the okra problem, I knew I would have to bread the okra.

11. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

George,
    Yes, add the flour. Looks good Dion. I had almost the same, but also had some eggplant to go with it. I use it also to make a frittata with our fresh eggs. Yummy.