Top 10 Running Backs in UT History

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by WorsterMan, Jul 11, 2018.

1. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Good point about Gilbert never getting really blown up by a tackler. What I remember most was how elusive he was and how he could make guys miss him.

Speaking of elusive, I was at the 1967 TCU game in Austin when Gilbert made an electrifying & record setting run from scrimmage for a 94 or 96 yard TD :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Foreman only had one great year. But, in my book, Foreman gets credit for running behind a mediocre line. Yes I know Connor Williams was on that line, but he made it mediocre instead of ******.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Charles was explosive in college. He certainly made a difference in the OU game in 2005. I can remember some other great runs that season.

4. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

^^^Yes he was, and he also was explosive in the Nebraska game the next year when he gained 200 yds in the 4th quarter.

5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Ramonce. Lock thread. Nominate me poster of the decade.

6. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

I've been a poster on here for years, and all of you disappoint me!!

What, No SNEEZY!!:smile1:

• Like Like x 2
  7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Obligatory Sneezy reply but worthless without pics!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I saw it live, my fave

• Like Like x 2
  9. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I am too young to have seen Earl live!
    Peace and Love u old guys lol jk

10. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Btw, Sneezy was THE rb of the lil SWC before Cedric! So he's got that going for him...

11. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

me too, BA, and lucky enough to be sitting on the 30yl on the east side where he was running towards. Oh great days!:hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

You beat me to it but he blossomed as a pro.

13. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I was on west side but was out of my mind watching. I may be in the minority, but I want to play them every year. Call me crazy

14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Charles had great games, no doubt, and he was crazy explosive. But I don’t believe he was consistently the featured offensive threat, and I don’t believe that defenses heavily schemed for him. Had he stayed for his senior year, that would have changed, and he would have probably made a run for the Heisman.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Okay, I was holding out, but since you went there, I am forced to trot out Ivan Williams and Vondrell McGee!

16. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

and who was the rb who ran back ko return, Victor Ike??

17. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

probably since Johnny Lam??

18. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Priest was allsome!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Based on his time at UT alone, Charles would not make my top 10. He had explosive games, but he also fumbled a lot. Remember he fumbled into the endzone against OU in 2007 which ultimately lost us the game. If Charles comes back his senior year, he is probably a top 5 all time UT running back. However, as stated above, he was inconsistent throughout his UT career, so I would not put him in the top 10. He would make the top 5 at most schools, but UT just has had too many great running backs which is a good problem to have. Now if we include NFL, Charles is probably a top 5 UT back all time.

Also, Ramonce Taylor was a better back than Charles. It is a shame he made the decisions he made.

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I'd put Charles ahead of Foreman because while both had similar "quantum leap" Junior years where they had multiple unstoppable games, Charles was pretty good as a freshman and sophomore too whereas Foreman didn't contribute much outside of the single season.

• Like Like x 1