Transfer Portal 2024

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Feb 28, 2024.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

With the season winding down that portal will start lighting up soon, so we may as well go ahead and create a space for the chaos.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

3. hornsup1986

hornsup1986 25+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Oops... I suppose I should've read the entire article. That surely wouldn't fly with Vic.

5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Doesn't like to play defense? If she's willing to make that statement to multiple members of the media, sounds like she's committed(?) to it no matter who the coach is at her next school - will definitely limit her destination options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I still think we need added quickness in the back court for next season:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yes, we absolutely do. We've got it coming next year in both Lee and Preston, but I'm with you... we need to add some more depth there with quickness AND experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jun Chou

Jun Chou 25+ Posts

I do hope that Vic lands a quick 2 guard with speed that can defend, create her own shot, has good ball handling skills.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We need a physical/athletic 5 to replace Hadi. Someone who is either quick to the ball or strong and physical enough to hold a box out. We can't keep getting beat on the boards and giving opponents extra opportunities to score.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Should be easy enough. After all, very few other coaches would be looking for a guard with similar skills.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. hornsup1986

hornsup1986 25+ Posts

With scholarship numbers so tight, I’m not sure we’ll land a transfer player for next season.

12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I mean, there's always attrition each offseason. And, it typically has to do with lack of playing time, or homesickness.

I get the feeling that freshman Center, Breya Cunningham at Arizona could be someone who enters the transfer portal; it's been a rough first season for her and the whole team in Tucson. We were heavily involved with her before she committed to Adia Barnes. But, being from southern California, she could have interest in USC or UCLA.

• Like Like x 2
  13. hornsup1986

hornsup1986 25+ Posts

There’s wasn’t any attrition last season. Everyone on the team seems happy and they get along well. Not sure anyone wants to leave.

14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Femme Masudi transferred to New Mexico Strate. Regardless of the reasons, that is attrition as she was a scholarship player who still had one year of eligibility remaining. It's not always a player's choice, but players move on for different reasons.

And, Kyndall Hunter held onto her scholarship through the academic year even though she quit the team in the Fall. Then she transferred out. Also counts as attrition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

What could have been had Ricke Jackson decided to transfer to Texas . . .

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I didn't know where Femme transferred to. Looking at her stats:

Texas 2023: 48:31 minutes played, 3rd from bottom
    NMSU 2024: 198:40 minutes played, 4th from bottom

Hey, she got playing time. I remember she came in with that other Juco player where both were ranked the #1 Juco player from two difference scouting services. And both transferred out without any significant contributions. Vic was just needing bodies at that time when he arrived.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

She would be perfect.

18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

:e-thinking:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Kateri Poole:e-thinking::e-fire:
    Given KMs antics I would definitely be willing to hear this player's side of the story. She shot the 3FG at .452 last season.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

:e-eyes:
    Tough inside and great rebounder

21. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

I don’t personally know much about her, but I had the same thought. :e-thinking:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

If we thought it was difficult getting a backup PG with Rori on the roster, it will probably 10 times harder now after the season Booker has had running the offense. I'll take that kind of problem!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Jun Chou

Jun Chou 25+ Posts

I think she can fit Vic’ system. While at Missouri, she was instrumental in their win against South Carolina.
    She’s a one & done and I don’t think Vic will consider anyone from the portal that only has one year.

24. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

If we're going to lose Hadi and everyone else comes back, then this is really our only need next season. She'd be a great fit but will obviously have a lot of teams interested.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, he took Kyra Lambert and Sonya Morris.

I think that allows him to fill a gap until his 2025 high school recruiting class arrives without tying up additional 'ships and having them available for that 2025 class.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Also losing Shaylee Gonzales; but, our depth at SG/W might look better next season if everyone else is healthy.

Still curious to know why Tionna Herron was not with the team in KC. That combined with Hadi's departure could make Center a real need next season and beyond.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

28. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  29. GoHorns22

GoHorns22 25+ Posts

Sangre, I'm not challenging your knowledge of AI, but I am interested why you thought that article might be AI generated. It's not something I have a lot of knowledge about.
    Also, I think Vic may have to wait until after the season is over to evaluate what the team needs.

30. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I agree it was a bit "iffy". But to be honest, the Statesman sometimes writes like that. No spellcheck and odd sentences stitched together.

Sports Illustrated found publishing AI generated stories, photos and authors

• Like Like x 1