transferring data from an old xp HDD

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Hayden_Horn, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

i am typing this on my new windows vista box. some of you all might remember my having some problems making this work - but i bought a new hdd and managed to configure everything for vista to work. had to exchange my mobo, but that's now beside the point.

NOW, though, i have my old hdd, with all my japan pics, my mp3s, and my novel on it. i want that data on this computer now. all that was password protected under my old profile on xp.

how can i bypass that? i KNOW the password, but i've not once been prompted. i merely get an access denied thing. i've tried "taking ownership" but i still cannot access the files i want in order to copy them over. any help is appreciated, as usual.

thanks!

2. blacklab

blacklab 250+ Posts

You'll probably have to boot to xp and then either unlock the files or transfer the files to the new hard drive.

3. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

Did you try taking ownership of the root of your old drive and having it push permissions to all subfolders? That seems to be the magic that others in your situation are doing.

If that doesn't get it done, maybe try creating a new profile that exactly matches your old one on XP.

4. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

bummer. thought i might have to boot to xp.

i'll give it a real run today. yesterday was all about installing vista.

yes, idig, i have tried that. i think. i'm not sure how to "push out" the ownership into the rest of the folders. how would i do that?

5. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

To take ownership of a file in vista;

Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

Click Edit. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.

If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Click OK.

6. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

ah. i always forget the ******* checkboxes.

awesome - thanks!