Tri-Tip

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by 01 grad, Feb 24, 2009.

1. 01 grad

01 grad 250+ Posts

So I bought me one (actually pack of two) from Costco. Recipes please. I am unfamiliar w/ this cut so go easy on me for first time. I have off set smoker, weber gas grill and convection oven available. Wife was making fun of me for buying it so make me a hero.

2. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

I always cook em like a thick ribeye, about 4-6 mins per side depending on the thickness. Slap em on a hot grill, as hot as you can get it, close the grill wait 4-6 mins, flip, close again, wait 4-6 mins.. greatness

3. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

4. wedgie

wedgie 100+ Posts

They also cook up great as a slow cooked pot roast. Makes great sandwiches. Best cut of roast out there.

5. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

I also do like a thick steak. Marinate in olive oil and red wine vinegar, and something like Montreal steak seasonings. Then grill up a few minutes on high for each side, with however much lower slow to get to the doneness you want. Slice thinly.

Serve with onion and garlic oven baked wedges, or some such.

The biggest baddest red wine you can locate, a couple of bottles. And fine cigars afterwards.

Can you tell I'm on a diet? [​IMG]

6. bullseye-35

bullseye-35 25+ Posts

Tri-Tip is the regional bbq of Central California.

1/2 Lawry's garlic salt and 1/2 black pepper rub.

225-250 indirect heat for roughly 2 hrs or about medium rare (depends on size -- Costo cuts are usually about 2lb). Wait 5 minutes before cutting. In Central CA, it is served with piquinto beans and salsa. Greatness.

7. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

I always make sure I grab a Tri tip sandwich at Firestones when I'm in San Luis Obispo. Excellent Tri-tip sandwiches.