Trouble in Paradise?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Vol Horn 4 Life, Sep 8, 2022.

1. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

And your life is better now, isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D just posted a link on WM about a class sction lawsuit against aggy led by a Texas Finance professor alleging aggy set aside money to only hire minority faculty.
    Aggy has 73k students?

Gonna take a guess, This isn't aggy's best week?

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Will go back to WM to make any comment on the lawsuit
    Just wanted to add it to list of Troubles in Paradise

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  4. ATX_Horns

ATX_Horns 250+ Posts

And the HITS keep coming ..

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I have heard that as well. My comment was more of how it looks in this day and age. The war was long ago.

6. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Less than half aggy corps members actually join the military after graduation

• Hot Hot x 1
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Likely talking about A&M System, including PV, Tarleton, Corpus, Galveston, Canyon, Commerce, et al

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

TexAgs has become some kind of weird parody of itself. It's literally "what's the exact worst take someone could have on any topic?" and then trying to one-up that take with personal insults thrown in for good measure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

The war on Jimbo has just begun! :lmao:

• Like Like x 1
  10. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

He's being pilloried in the national media. One blogger/opinionator said he's the one wearing the bozo outfit (remembering he said the SEC coaches who wondered how A&M all of a sudden had the best recruiting class ever were clowns)

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Jimbo knows better than anyone that he has plenty of individual talent that has not been shaped into a good football team

12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

As it turns out there are over 70k students at College Station alone.
    There were over 71k in 20/21
    Several different sites have different numbers for 22.
    Wonder how many are rethinking their choice?
    We need to find list eater and poo flinger vids. Kinda a reality call.

13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Texas A&M have moved a lot of graduate and some undergraduate departments to campus adjacent (Mays business school) or far off campus (Health Science Center). The traditional campus is mainly for undergrads. UT could have done the same if they had move graduate programs to the redeveloped Mueller Airport. Imagine the extra space if the public policy school, business school, pharmacy school, etc had moved off campus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Referencing your student population comment here's a Texags opinion about Midnight Yell:

"Irrespective of this game, I think the uniqueness of the experience has been reduced and will continue to be under pressure. Part of that may be social media where anything different (and admittedly weird) is going to be more exposed and ridiculed and there will be a natural tendency to back away from it (unless it is a "protected" class of uniqueness like being transgender).

Most importantly, I think the massive focus on growth has increased the student population to a degree that we get more students that have not grown up wanting to be Aggies and could not care less about our traditions. They come here because we are a good school or because they couldn't get into Texas. Having a strong academic reputation is a good thing (though I don't think the amount of growth is a good thing and I think it has hurt us academically). However, the percentage of students who are die hard Aggies is less than it once was since we have tried to open the doors to such a massive amount of students.

I am sure many will disagree, but I also think the loss or reduction of the rivalry with Texas hurts. Having a strong rivalry helps create school spirit and several of our traditions were rooted in our rivalry with Texas."

• Like Like x 3
  15. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

The lady in the Google box says there are 72,900 students attending Texas A&M university. Years ago I heard that A&M had gone on a quest to become the largest university in the country and to that end admitted as many students as they could stripping their infrastructure capability. Don't know if that is the actual number attending in College Station or if that's the full system number, but the lady in the Google box says they admit 70% of all applicants as opposed to 32% at UT Austin.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  16. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. MeatHeadHorn

MeatHeadHorn 1,000+ Posts

18. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

My first thought was, and the parking!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

$$$

21. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Hp
    Due.to.NIL this.is.no longer grounds.for criticism. Every school is using it.as an inducement despite the restrictions against it.

• Like Like x 1
  22. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Aggies will be winning more games this year-----too much talent not to.

Besides, next year is the year they are looking to. I hope Weigman gets playing time this year as he is their best qb option for the future.

They are still a year away for the same reason we are----most of the great talent in very young. By the end of the season both teams will be very good and primed for next year, when both will make runs at the ring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Check with Tom Landry about WWII. He flew a bunch of bombing missions into Germany, and until the P51 came along, it was like suicide. Aggies run around spewing that crap to anybody who will listen.
    Then there is that Admiral McRaven guy. He had a date with the Ben laden fellow. And General Tommy Franks was at Texas until he drank too much beer and flunked out. Then signed up for the Army. Many Texas men have fought bravely and half the corp turds never serve.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Not sure about that. My son made 1490 on the SAT, very good grades from what is supposed to be the #1 public school in Texas, with extracurriculars, and did not get into A&M this year. The idea that they are letting everyone in is flat false.
    UT has capped enrollment, largely if not completely, absorbed by automatic admits; the state population has greatly increased; the costs of places like Baylor or TCU or any private school are astronomical; thus, a crush of pressure to apply for the increased capacity that A&M has carved out.

Take UT out of the question for a minute (and Rice, because it’s a completely different animal)—where within 800 miles of here has a better academic reputation than A&M? Then factor in that any place that even crossed your mind costs multiple times as much.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

It is easier to get admitted if one applies for the spring semester. A fair number of the fall admits have left for one reason or another and the buildings and faculty are still there. Right?

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chin,

There was a guy named Frank Denius, aka, the "Hero of Hill 314", sometimes called the "Alamo of WWII". FWIW, he held TWO degrees from The University of Texas

• Like Like x 4
  27. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Never said they're "letting everyone in." They have not (to my knowledge) capped enrollment & have admitted 63% of kids who apply. They remain a popular school, especially for kids who can't get in to UT & can't afford the privates. My understanding is that they have admitted more students than they can reasonably accomodate with the resources/infrastructure available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Not to forget UT grad, huge benefactor, awarded WW2 Army hero Frank Denius!

Any of you newbies or youngsters, browse and read about this brave man and his fellow soldiers. Battle of Mortain / Hill 314 was a big deal as we pushed the Nazis out of France....

• Like Like x 3
  29. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Ok. Sorry if I misunderstood. I took your post to suggest that they were diluting their admissions in an effort to become the largest university.

Also, I must be in an overreactive mood, because when you say, “ the kids who can’t get into UT,”—…kids who can’t get into UT includes thousands and thousands of applicants who would easily be valedictorians if they went to other high schools. I guess my personal experience is affecting my perceptions.

30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Gentlemen:

It is my understanding that the Aggies are fighting the same "civil war" that we fought in the 70s. Too many students in the business school to be accommodated by the business school building.

An example is that X number of kids need economics 301, but the classrooms will only accommodate 70%. No problem because the history department has a surplus of classroom spaces. History Dept chair throws a fit and says, "hell no". Thus when some of these kids need to take core history, not enough class space, but the business school says f-off.

The educrats in Austin fought that internally for over a decade in Austin.

• Hot Hot x 1