Trying New Rules in the Minors...

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by HornHuskerDad, Mar 13, 2021.

1. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Major League Baseball to test anti-shift rules in the minor leagues this season (yahoo.com).
    This could be interesting. I like the concept of requiring the infielders to be stationed on the dirt - lots of LH sluggers (Joey Gallo, for one) lose potential singles because the 2B is in short fight field to catch the hard-hit grounder and turn it into an out at first. BTW, Gallo reached 100 career HR before he reached 100 career singles.
    I also like the concept of the 15-second pitch clock. That would definitely speed the game.
    We'll have to see if the two-pickoff-throw limit actually increases stolen base attempts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If a manager wants to put all 9 players on one side of the field he should have that prerogative. Baseball is a game of skill. You hit the ball where the defense isn't so I am fine with the shifting.

A short clock and limiting pick-off throws are ok with me. One of the consequences of limiting pick-off throws will make having a good catcher imperative.

3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I am on board with pitch clock but as for shift that is 100% something they need to leave alone. The way to beat the shift is to hit it where they ain’t, your a major leaguer not a one trick pony hit to more than one side. Any shift means huge swaths of empty space to hit to, if they can’t do it, that’s on the batter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Thinking on shift issue, will that extend to pulling in the infield to cut off run or to field a bunt. Once you force someone to one spot how do you account for all times they would move for other situations.