Tub or No Tub

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by lostman, Aug 4, 2014.

1. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

We are planning more updates to our house, this time it's the master bath. Right now we have a shower stall that is about 3' x 3' and a 6' sunken Jacuzzi tub. The tub is 26 years old, however. We are debating whether or not to get rid of the tub all together and create a larger shower area, or keep the existing set up, just update the tub. Neither Losthubby nor I are tub users, generally. And we have a tub and shower in the upstairs bathroom. Anyone have an opinion or experience with this? I have seen both in houses I have looked at on Zillow. Does it affect resale? [​IMG] Thanks for any thoughts!

2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Just my 2 cents worth, but I think one tub is satisfactory for the majority of home buyers.
    My wife takes a bath more often than a shower, as well as our two boys, and we have 2 1/2 bathrooms with only one tub.

I guess you could run into a case where the mom doesn't want to share a tub, but I think most would love the large shower you are planning.
    So I would say don't let having one tub hold you back. [​IMG]

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

lostladyofthehouse,

are you thinking you may be selling in the future? If so, how far into the future? Updating now for several years in the future (tub wise) may shoot you in the wallet too if it's outdated.

You can also possibly reconfigure it since the plumbing is there. Make it a corner tub and maybe expand the shower up to it with a stone wall for the shower surrounding that area of the tub. Have nooks there for oils, soaps, loofah's and stuff like that. Make that wall utilitarian.

Fall in love again with a tub to enjoy it in the meantime. But have at least one tub. Which bathroom depends on if the people buying it may need it for children.

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Remodeled home in Tenn recently (well still working on kitchen) and in the bathroom finally got my luxury walk in shower but we did keep bathtub/shower combination in guest bath for the grandkids. That is only reason kept a tub. Tiled the surround so looks real nice!