TX Footwear novice - boots

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by UWUTengineer, Nov 3, 2007.

1. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

sweet. it's good to know i haven't been lying this whole thread. [​IMG]

2. BooDog

BooDog 100+ Posts

A buddy of mine told me the Red Wing store on South Lamar has a large supply of 1178's. I'm calling tomorrow to confirm (and purchase a pair if they have them).

3. BooDog

BooDog 100+ Posts

I just confirmed that the South Lamar Red Wing store has a large inventory of the 1178's. $179.99 a pair.

4. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

5. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

Good stuff, the Sheppler's and Hasse's advice is great.

Another question from a boot novice -- are Justin Ropers considered lame? I mean, looking at them, they look like basic, comfortable, sturdy and affordable boots.

6. AugieBall

AugieBall 100+ Posts

I bought Justins a couple years ago, and the inside heel quickly wore down very soon thereafter and ****** up my heel pretty bad. My fault for being too stoic/apathetic/whatever to return them immediately, even though my socks looked like they belonged to Curt Schilling. I finally returned them 4 months later and got store credit.

In short, Justins suck, and f**k them. I wear Luccheses now and they are fantastic.

7. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

i've always though of Justins as cheap, but that's just me. A pair of red wings will last for years. It really depends on what type of boots you're looking for.

If you want just a standard brown roper then i'd go with red wings. If you want cowboy boots, then there are a few good brands: Tony Lama, Larry Mahan and Luchese, to name a few.

You could find each of these brands around your price range if you just want a standard cowboy boot. They start to get more expensive if you get exotic leather like ostrich or lizard.

If you're going to be wearing these out on a ranch or in the mud, then i'd go with redwings or a standard brown cowboy boot. If you're only going to be wearing them when you are out and about, or going out, then i'd recommend a nice full-quill ostrich, peanut brittle/cognac color. You can get an ostrich belt that matches them nicely too. Cavenders has certain boots on sale all the time, and you can check the imperfections rack, too.

It really just depends on what you're going to be using them for.

8. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I have a pair of Red Wing Pecos that I have had since 1998. Honestly I rarely wear them anymore. I think I wore them last to the Broken Spoke but I should have worn my Ropers. Saddens me but it's true. I used to wear them when I would go out. I normally wear nikes to work...

I didn't think that Cavenders sold Red Wings? I thought you had to buy them in a Red Wings store? I bought mine at the Red Wings store off South Lamar. Even got 10% off due to a UT id. :)

I have 2 pair of Justin Ropers. I have the Apache Bay Ropers (which I really like) and a standard pair of burgundy/brown.

The Red Wings are easily better boots in terms of quality. Ropers are good starter boots and I bought mine back in 1993 and 1995 so they are older than my Red Wings. I have had to get the Apache Bays resoled 1 time and then had to get the heal replaced another time (on only 1 of the boots). Lost the heal climbing a fence in Deep Ellum on New Year's Eve 2002. The night before we played LSU in the Cotton Bowl. I remember getting up and I had no heal on my boot, didn't wear those to the game. :)

All that said, Ropers have super slick soles. This is something to remember. If you want to buy some boots to do some work, hunt, ... don't buy Ropers. Get red wings. If you want to buy some boots that look nice and wear out to stuff, Ropers will work but they are on the cheap side. Ropers are perfect for dancing (2-stepping); Red Wings will get the job done too but Ropers with their slick soles are better for dancing.

I would like to get a really nice pair of boots like a Lucchese Ostrich Skin full quill but damn I wouldn't wear them enough to justify it.

A buddy of mine has a pair of $800 full quill ostrich boots that he got on sale for ~$500. He wears them alot and I'm jealous. But even $500, I just couldn't justify that.

9. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

My two best pair of dancing shoes:
    [​IMG]

My FAVORITE pair...[​IMG]

I have had them for about 14 years but don't wear them much. Here's why:
    [​IMG]

They have been resoled 7 times & can't handle another due to super thin leather on the inside of the toe box area (just above where the welt on the L boot meets the outline of the R boot).
    [​IMG]

For me, these are perfect. They give great ankle support, the leather is broken in just right & I can go all night long without my feet hurting (although I haven't been in some time now & have Plantar Fasciaitis in my R foot now).

I added the round conchos because the tassels on my lacers always curl up way too fast & this was to try & keep them down. The horizontal bar keeps the top solid over my toe without any movement.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. ACuriae

ACuriae 500+ Posts

A reliable source has informed me that the Redwing 1178 will continue to be manufactured for Texas 2x per year.

11. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

Are these too work-boot and not texas enough?

12. NCAAFBALLROX

Clever, looks like a winner to me...

[​IMG]

It would, however, seem (to me, anyhow) slightly funny to see someone exit their Subaru @ the Wheatsville Co-Op parking lot while wearing steel toed units.

PS: Should have that $ for you inna few days; been on other jobs & they couldn't stop by.

13. CleverNickname

Hey Now! I've actually been driving an old ford ranger 4x4 we bought for ranch duty. Which in retrospect I realize is probably the second most popular car for butch lesbians in Austin behind a subaru wagon. Given the amount of chainsawing I've been doing lately, it makes sense to get something with a steel toe. Plus if I'm one is going to be a lawyer in texas you gotta have 2 things: a "ranch" and some boots. One down... And it turns out the $20 boots I bought in neuvo laredo at 4 am after I had (as sir doug would say) smoked and drinked the night away in a dimly light cafe; were actually almost as ugly as they were potentially crippling.

14. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

Some discoveries...

1. Yes, the 1178 will continue to be manufactured for Texas. The Red Wing outlet in Round Rock has them in stock.

2. Said outlet was very nice about fitting me using some fancy machinery, which was much more accurate than the dude at Allen's Boots came up with.

3. Boots are muy comfortable.

15. simihorn

simihorn 100+ Posts

I've had my 1178s since 1990. Seems like the only shoes I wore for like 3 years.

Had them resoled 2x and reheeled 4x. What a great pair of boots!

I got them at the Red Wing store in south Austin for like $115 with the student discount. I remember it like it was yesterday, not almost 20 years ago. Walked in and told the guy I need a pair of 12Ds. He didn't even budge, told me to put my foot in the machine and we'd see about that. The machine said I was a 13B and that's what he put me in. They were a little tight but became the best shoe I ever wore.

Also remember showing up at the first event in those. Had tons of beer spilt on them and everyone had to try and scuff them. My toes were sore for a week. Good times [​IMG]

16. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

Clever- I would go with brown for working on a ranch. The black redwing looks like a motorcycle boot to me. jmo

But regardless of the color, those type of redwings will be the most comfortable shoes you've ever worn.

p.s. that 1125 model is not steel-toe

17. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

18. CleverNickname

Noted. Thanks.

19. Vince4Heisman

Vince4Heisman 250+ Posts

ariat

Are ariat boots any good? I was going to get these to wear to work...

20. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

i hope to god that's a joke.

21. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

torbush

22. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

This thread got me thinking I need to wear my boots more.
    I am more of a roper guy. I have 2 Justin ropers and 1 Red Wing Cactus (which is roper style).

For those that wear Western style (ie, higher heal, heal cut inwards), why Western vs. Roper? I went to Cavenders and found some Lucchese Mad Dog ropers that I really liked but they had the same color/style as Mad Dog Western style.

23. NCAAFBALLROX

So, um... Vince4... you're a chick who rides English or Hunt Seat & likes to wear jodhpurs most of the time, even when not in the barn with your other English / Hunt Seat friends?

If not, prepare for a Texas sized *** beatin' when you go most anywhere.

JMO.

24. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

Ariat makes a great boot, but that model ain't one of them.

25. lowery21

lowery21 250+ Posts

They have only had the Pecos in Texas for awhile. I went to replace mine a few years ago in Alabama and the guy said they only sold them in Texas. I took pride in that. Don't really know why.

26. utmck

utmck 500+ Posts

After owning a couple of cowhide Ropers I got a pair of Shark skin Ropers. Before the first time I ore them I filled te bath tub up with water and filled the boots wit atr and stuck them in the water (totally submerged) and left them for about 30 min. took them out and put them on and wore them all day. The entire boot has now conformed to my foot. They are as comfortable as some boots i wear that cost well over $500.

27. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

Yeah whenever i get new redwings i completely submerge them in water and let them soak for an hour or two. Softens up the leather and makes them easy to break in.

Remove the cushioned insoles first, of course. Oh and if they ever get wet, do not put them in the drier. The rubber will warp. They dry pretty quickly just sitting out.

28. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

my redwing 1132's are just starting to get broken in and they are wonderful. Perfect for winter weather and rain/mud.

29. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

utmck, so just what in the hell makes you think you can put sharkskin in water?

30. NCAAFBALLROX

Sharks live in water... duh.