UCLA vs Texas Scrimmage

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Oct 27, 2017.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

This would be a prime time game if played during the season - preseason #6 Texas vs #7 UCLA. A lot of familiar faces in this game including Austin native and Tech transfer Japreece Dean, F Lauryn Miller was a teammate of Sug’s, G Kayla Owens was a member of Cy Fair Shock with Chasity, and many of the juniors/seniors faced off 2 years ago when the Longhorns came back from a 10-point second half deficit to beat UCLA and advance to the Elite 8.

• Like Like x 3
  2. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Question...Is Japreece Dean eligible to play? Didn't she transfer during the semester break last year? Just curious.

3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

iirc, she is a graduate transfer, eligible to play immediately.

4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I think she’ll be eligible in January - played in first 2 games for Tech last season (sophomore) and then, as you said, transferred at the break. This being a scrimmage, she should play.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Japrece is class of 2015, just like Lashann. So, not a graduate transfer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I realize the scrimmage is closed to the public but why can't they disclose it? Are there rules that prevent the schools announcing it?

Will we get any info on the scores and stats of the scrimmage? I assume not but it would be cool if we did.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I’m not sure about rules but that’s the only reason I can think of for being cagey about it. As for stats, I doubt it - I don’t recall hearing much from the Arizona scrimmage last year. I do like that they’re practicing/playing in Colorado Springs, at that altitude, the players’ conditioning will really be tested.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The is whole "scrimmage" thing in hoops is so weird. Our men's team seemed to schedule an impromptu game against A&M at Rice with benefits going to the hurricane relief fund; but, it wasn't a secret, obviously. Craig Way even did the radio play-by-play.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  10. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Aston said in the press conference it was a "close" scrimmage. Anyone know if close means we barely won it or barely lost it?

11. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I wish we knew.

12. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Horns took care of business. And UCLA is a good team.

• Like Like x 5
  13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Good news! UCLA is going to be a very good team. They certainly have one of the top PGs in Canada.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I have UCLA as a strong contender for a Final Four berth. I expect them to beat Baylor in Westwood later this Fall.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

A poster on Orangebloods.com stated that Texas took an 18 point lead after the first quarter (not the half), and that Texas then substituted liberally and ended up winning the game by 16 points.

• Like Like x 2
  17. LutherIsMyDog

If true, it's impressive that we beat a pre-season top 10 team by double digits without Joyner.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

http://womenshoopsworld.com/2017/11/05/ucla-uses-balance-tough-defense-to-rout-vanguard-87-40/

The Bruins considered their defensive effort a step up from last weekend, when they lost to Texas in a closed scrimmage in Colorado Springs. Close said she was happy to see stifling defense from her team.

“If I had to choose one I’d choose (defense), because I thought the opposite was the case in our closed scrimmage with Texas,” she said. “We were a little lackadaisical on the defensive end, and we’ve been spending 90 percent of our time this week on our defense. I was pleased to see the defensive effort, but we need to be a whole lot more crisp on the offensive end. We’re just not playing with enough purpose and people are getting panicky if that first option isn’t there – what do I do next? Especially when Jordin’s not on the floor.”

Canada said she was satisfied with UCLA’s effort on the day.

“Overall today we bounced back from our Texas scrimmage,” she said. “We’ve got some things to work on, but today was a pretty good job, and it shows the potential of what we can do.”

• Like Like x 2
  19. LutherIsMyDog

Moooooo-Excellent work finding references to the UCLA/Texas scrimmage.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm wondering if Chasity, Sutton, and Underwood played in the scrimmage; doubt we'll ever know. Would be great if they did (to get some pre-season experience) since they were held out of the exhibition against OKC.

21. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

All three were back at it at full speed today (Monday).

• Like Like x 5