United Football League?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Beau Vine, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

I had never heard of this.

They've already hired away some of the Big XII's officiating "talent," so they're apparently really going to give it a go in August 2008.

Games will be played on Friday nights. [​IMG]

I think SA has been selected as one of the 8 teams, but Austin has not.

NYT article

2. whereiend

whereiend 100+ Posts

3. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

I couldn't find a link, but I was told that by someone employed by the league that they'd be playing in the Alamodome.

4. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

Playing on Friday nights is probably going to hurt the league. They should just play in the spring.

Yes, rumors are that Randy Christal and Jon Bible have resigned from the Big XII to work in this league.

5. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

They have season ticket reserves for Austin and San Antonio teams... $5 tickets being advertised. I wouldn't mind too much.

6. afat

afat 250+ Posts

I think the $5 ticket is like the 'ticket reserve' thing the rose bowl had. You're paying $5 for the right to buy a ticket. They are using it as an interest thermometer.

Friday night is going to hurt them in a number of ways. Who stays home on Friday to watch TV? The bigger issue is going to be competing head on with the NFL and College Football.

I foresee failure for the UFL. [​IMG]

7. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

And think about HS football... Spring games, please.

8. WhoooTex

WhoooTex 100+ Posts

9. whereiend

whereiend 100+ Posts

ehh, while I see your point to an extent, I would go to a fair amount of these games if they had a team in Austin (assuming the tickets were cheap). I have not been to a high school football game since I was in high school, and I don't plan on going to one at least until I have kids. I can't be the only person who really isn't interested in high school football.

10. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

I don't think this league is competing with high schools at all. Like whereiend, I haven't been to a high school football game since high school. Now if the league was trying to set up shop in Tyler or Odessa I could see problems, but in SA or Austin, there just isn't that much interest in going to watch a high school game unless you are in high school or have a son on a high school team.

11. WhoooTex

WhoooTex 100+ Posts

In reply to:

12. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

13. SlingeroGuitaro

SlingeroGuitaro 250+ Posts

i'm all about tuesday night games

14. whereiend

whereiend 100+ Posts