UT, OU, and SEC?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Giovanni Jones, Jul 21, 2021.

1. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

Winning trumps all. I tend to lean toward the bright side of things and think the Horns will compete well given an even playing field. As it stands now the SEC is perceived to be the premier conference (thanks, at least early on, to the media hype) and if we benefit by being part of that in terms of both recruiting and “street cred” then I think it bodes well for us.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Gotta roll with the changes. I'd rather we stay where we are in the Big 12, but I could live with bolting to a new conference. We'll be fine either way... (and probably with a lot bigger $$$ tv contracts in any event)

:bevo::bevo::bevo:

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I clicked your article. He's right about this:

"But the fit, culturally, of A&M and the SEC is very good. The fit of Texas is not. That's just plain and simple."

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

I have no idea how they plan to work it. Two pods in each “half” of the conference? An overall record with tie breakers?

6. LonghornCatholic

• Funny Funny x 6
  7. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

That says it all …

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. LonghornCatholic

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Those guys don't realize Governor Abbott and Dade Phelan are both Texas Longhorns...!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I spent a couple of semesters at A&I in Kingsville.
    They don’t have a stadium or a following big enough to move out of D 2.
    Lived in Amarillo a while when Yung was at WT and liked the place.

11. Txreds

Txreds 250+ Posts

What would be classic would be for the SEC to vote in UT, OU, and OSU and remove Aggie. Won’t happen but would be awesome.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  12. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

WTAMU just built themselves a new stadium on campus. Canyon ISD now has Kimbrough Stadium (located a few miles north of town) all to themselves. CHS has been playing there for about 6 decades.

I remember the Yung days. He had a daughter who was a year or two behind me at CHS. I’ll see if I can find a pic of her in my yearbook.

13. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

If we start playing pig again, my first fear is that my streak of attending the last 10 games in Arkansas and not getting hit by a whiskey bottle might be in jeopardy due to aging reflexes. Getting hit by ice is a given.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

Right.
    There are times you just have to hold your nose and do the smartest thing.
    Maybe aggy goes aggy and leaves then is replaced by Notre Dame.
    Now that's a pretty strong conference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. LonghornCatholic

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Maybe this is already common knowledge, but as I was searching the web for news on this situation just now, I came across this-"On December 20, 2019, it was reported by Sports Business Journal that after having offered $300 million per-season, CBS had exited negotiations to renew its SEC package beyond the 2023 season. The network cited a need to "aggressively focus on other important strategic priorities moving forward". On December 10, 2020, ESPN announced that it had acquired the top SEC rights under a 10-year deal beginning in 2024, valued at $3 billion over the length of the contract. The games are slated to air on ABC, thus centralizing the entirety of the SEC's media rights with The Walt Disney Company."

17. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

So as an old school college football fan and a TexasEx, I generally would be against this. Hell at times I wished we went independent.

College football as we all knew it is over. With the wokeness and now the SCOTUS opinion, traditional college football is over. I say let’s join the SEC and watch the fireworks. My SEC family hates it which makes me love it more. When I said somebody needs to stop Alabama, they had no idea of our record against them. I sent them this fact.
    upload_2021-7-22_21-24-57.png

• Hot Hot x 1
  18. LonghornCatholic

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  19. HoffHorn

HoffHorn 500+ Posts

Ok! Who the F is Kyle Umlong? I’m not impressed with his “objective “ Aggie somebody?

Can you all imagine if Texas and OU “pivoted” to Big 10 and were playing Penn St. in State College during a “white out”. Damn! Count me in!

20. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

If they go with the four pod system our pod should definitely be: A&M, OU, and Arkansas (maybe LSU). No way they do pods and keep everyone else together and split up Texas.

21. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

LSU vs Southern…. Sept 10
    Goodness Aggie and Bama are comical with their schedules.
    All SEC schools pad their records with FBS.
    KState and Bailor usually do.
    Kansas just started and I give them a pass as they are a FBS caliber team

22. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

This is really, really delusional- meaning posting and suggesting getting the Gov involved.
    Sorry you knucklehead- Rick Perry has left the building

• Like Like x 2
  23. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Paraphrasing what I read on Orangebloods, this appears to be a slam dunk and there’s nothing Aggy can do about it but whine. It will boost the SEC’s TV revenue significantly and that’s what this is all about, right? Also, however gung ho Texas is, blowu is even more gung ho.

• Like Like x 2
  24. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Kyle is a total f'n loser. He needs to switch his allegiance to UTEP.

25. LonghornCatholic

Aggy left out :lmao:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Ahhhh Fayettenam

• Like Like x 1
  27. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

I am still surprised SEC took Aggie. Miss schools, LSU and Vandy didn't want them and now LSU is pissed they changed their minds. Aggie reaction to the leak in the Chronicle is hilarious and paints Aggie in a poor light.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Last night I was at a utility district meeting in Kleinwood, and seated to my left was their PE, who got his degree from T Tech ... of course we chatted about this SEC business ... and he was very firm in his belief that there won't be enough teams voting in favor of extending membership to UT and OU ... I nodded at his words of wisdom while inside I was thinking "keep whistling past that graveyard, techie"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Kind of like how Texas had no shot at luring Chris Beard back to Austin? The heat on the plains must be getting to them.

30. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Folks are talking about what happens to the tagalong 8 from the Big 12, but I'm kinda curious what ACC teams the Big 10 takes to get to 16 members a la Maryland. They missed Mizzou and ND already said no. VTech and UNC? I think they'd both kiss the ACC good bye just as easily as Maryland did. Big 10 seems too slow to grab Clemson or FSU. Then the ACC and Pac-12 fight for the 8 Big 12 leftovers.