UT, OU, and SEC?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Giovanni Jones, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Re: aTm and who knew what...

Either:

1. The SEC brass cut aTm out of the information and negotiations; or

2. aTm's administration was in on the discussions and negotiations and was either: (i) ok with it, or (ii) was impotent to stop it; lying to their now-shocked and disillusioned fan base, and acting all surprised when the news was "leaked."

In either case, the ags have much egg on their faces.

upload_2021-7-23_15-5-18.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  2. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

• Hot Hot x 1
  3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

:atm:
    = oversized

:missst:

(and without the kicka$$ baseball team)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

That would be an incredibly big landing for KU if it transpires. I know KU basketball is (normally) excellent, and academically KU is an overachiever, but their football is terrible--beyond terrible, and they are a very small media market. No recruiting benefits either. I doubt the BIG even wants them, but I could be wrong...

5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well, Vanderbilt is in that league.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

You’d think KU would fit better in a basketball-centric conference like the Big East.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

They are not going to play them every year, just like the good ole days of the B12 with Nebraska and KSU in their prime.

8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

That was mentioned at Texags and the poster was universally ridiculed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Kansas might actually improve its football recruiting as a member of the BigTen. A new conference has to agree with the way their Tier 3 rights are structured, but right or wrong, TV networks give KU credit for the KC & St Louis Tv markets.

10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

No one on Texags believe they were in the dark. They believe Aggy president leaked the story to chronicle to save face and to let down their fanbase softly. The truth is actually worse than the rumors: Aggy was impotent when Texas came a calling.

• Like Like x 3
  11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

2. ii.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

The ou vs. osu game could still be played annually. It wouldn't count as a conference game, but could still be played.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Who do you think was the main driver of this happening?

Do you think the SEC approached both Texas and OU as equals or did they come after Texas first to gage interest and then went to OU and said Texas would come if you come?

Personally, I think both schools are perceived as blue blood programs but Texas really is the big fish when it comes to brand and money aspects of what is going on. Would SEC take OU without Texas or vice versa?

My opinion on this is that we should have done it years ago since the SEC is considered the best football conference and I only want to play the best. I don't like the SEC because of the arrogance the fans display about the league.

I hope the transition is immediate and not starting in 2025 or such.

I think it will be 4 team pods and ours will be OU, A&M, and Arkansas. This makes sense for geography and traditional rivalry.

14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I see absolutely no reason to get "permanent cross division rivals." It was a stupid decision when the SEC went to it and remains so.

The easiest way to plan it out would still be 4 divisions, and playing 2 (1 home and 1 away) from each of the other 3 divisions every year for a total of 9 conference games. You do those 2 games as a home-and-home and then rotate to the other 2 teams for the next 2 years.

Texas
    Texas A&M
    Oklahoma
    Arkansas
    Play the other three teams every year

LSU
    Mizzou
    Vandy
    Kentucky
    vs LSU, @ Mizzou in 2022; @ LSU, vs. Mizzou in 2023; vs. Vandy, @ UK 2024; @ Vandy, vs. UK in 2025

Alabama
    Auburn
    Ole Miss
    Miss St
    vs Bama, @ Auburn in 2022; @ Bama, vs. Auburn in 2023; vs. Ole Miss, @ MSU in 2024; @ Ole Miss, vs. MSU in 2025

Florida
    Georgia
    Tennessee
    South Carolina
    vs UF, @ UGA in 2022; @ UF, vs. UGA in 2023; vs Tenn, @ SoCar in 2024; @ Tenn, vs. SoCar in 2025

15. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Yeah. Because anyone thinking with logic would get over the self entitlement they seem to be feeling. The implosion and mental gymnastics is fun to watch!

16. militaryhorn

I know it can be done because Florida does it with Florida St. right? Doesn't South Carolina and Clemson do it?

17. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Agree. Cross pod every year rivalries messes up the system.

As proposed, play each team in your pod every year, and two teams in each other pod, home and home series. So the longest a team can go without playing every team in the league is three years, and four years to play them both home and away.

18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Not sure how the current ag admin can stick around for much longer after all this. Ags who actually attended and graduated from Texas A&M University might be delusional about sports, but they're not stupid people. They will only buy so much of the BS that their admin has been selling.

So a truthful statement from the aTm admin to the students and alumni--which, of course, won't happen--might look something like this:

"Fellow ags, those of us in the administration have long known about Texas and Oklahoma's overtures to the SEC, and the SEC's overtures, discussions, and negotiations with said institutions. We used our personal and institutional capital to try to stop this from happening, we voted no at every turn, we attempted to work behind the scenes to convince our fellow SEC schools to not allow this, but we lost. We tried, but we failed. We were completely ineffectual and impotent to stop this. Of course, we didn't want you to know about it, because you would make our lives a living hell, and you stupid little people, who can't see the bigger picture, would have gotten in our way and ruined any chance we had at stopping this tragedy. So we waited until the news was leaked, and we acted surprised. To further our devious and deceitful plan to keep you ignorant hayseeds in the dark, we flat out lied, and told you that we did not know about the plan to add Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC.

When it comes down to it, our fellow SEC schools have little respect for Texas A&M and little regard for our opinion. Now we're running scared that Texas will come to dominate us and our beloved conference. I don't look forward to receiving countless hate mail letters from you telling me how some "sip" you know at a goat roping made fun of aggies after they whipped us again on Thanksgiving Day. Well, at least remember we're still better than Baylor--and I assure you, we will not allow Baylor to join the SEC."

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 8
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

That would be cool. Annual game with ou is preserved, Arky is back as an annual game, and the in-state rivalry game with aggy around Thanksgiving is rekindled. There is the issue of when we play aggy in Austin of having the pay the cost burden to fumigate the stadium to get rid of the sheep stink they leave behind.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I think Texas looked at the landscape and the prospects for the Big 12 and concluded that they had to do something, well in advance of 2025. As SH has been saying, the conference has stagnated and for that reason a decision had to be made. Wait, and opportunities disappear. I would have preferred the PAC 12 but, oh well.

I also believe that the SEC has coveted Texas and Oklahoma for years. So regardless of the noise coming out of College Station, this is a coup for ESPN and for the SEC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

That is correct, although the previous expansion caused the annual season opener between UGA and the Sons of Klem to be cancelled. That was a big rivalry as the two schools are close together.

22. D Henry

D Henry < 25 Posts

Worth the watch. Trust me. I spit beer all over my phone.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  23. militaryhorn

This answers one of my questions if it is accurate:

Texas officials began conversations with Oklahoma brassa year ago - and six months ago those conversations culminated with intermediaries reaching out to officials in the Southeastern Conference about the possibility of Texas and OU joining the SEC, sources told Horns247.

24. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

You got rivalry and tradition right. But not 4 teams.

The whole idea of conferences need to be changed across the country.

1. We need 6 teams a conference, like old big 12, based on geography and rivalry.

2. For a two year match these 6 teams conference's would play another 6 team conference like old SEC East for example or Pac 12 South.

3. This would keep rivalry's in tac (UT and OU) game and then the added benefit of regional pride.

4. Their would be a championship game between two (like old Big 12) at the end and winner would advance to championship play-off.

5. Bigger is not better. This redo Brings mega interest to the games, regional pride and solves no one getting left behind problem. Every school stays relevant.

This isn't 1940's when teams where traveling on trains. Geography is no longer a problem. Let's (dare I say) think out of the box!!

25. militaryhorn

I really think the SEC should consider adding another 4 teams for four 5 team pods. Go get OSU for OU, Tech for Texas, Cinn for Missouri, TCU for A&M or something along those lines.

• WTF? WTF? x 2
  26. militaryhorn

The college landscape does not care about tradition any longer. This is just the first step in what my belief has been over the last 5 years or more...it will end up as a 30 to 40 team league that is not governed by the NCAA and will be a semi pro sports league with only blue blood schools invited. NIL is the next step.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

So about the time we knew NIL would become a reality which basically made it legal to pay players.

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

so now a&m can put these incoming Big 12 teams in their place on the gridiron...

29. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

30-40 teams?? So it will end up pretty much like I laid it out....

30. militaryhorn

For the most part yes but not in the form of 6 team conferences. More like four 16 team conferences so more than likely 64 teams.