VERT Challenge

Discussion in 'Volleyball' started by BabHorn, Aug 27, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

# 1 Horns go 1-1 in Florida, losing to host # 12 Florida 3-1 (16-25, 23-25, 25-18, 21-25) and defeating # 18 Oregon 3-1 (23-25, 25-17, 25-22, 25-23). Host Florida won the VERT Challenge, going 0-2 with wins over # 1 Texas and # 5 Nebraska. Oregon tied with Texas at 1-1, defeating Nebraska and losing to the Horns. Nebraska went 0-2.

Still some rough spots as far as meshing, especially with a frosh setter (Ashley Shook), but much better play in the second game by the team. Looks like Shook will be a double double consistently for the Horns in assists and digs. Fellow frosh OH Lexi Sun is going to be vying for AA honors all four years she is here.

The team is loaded with hitters along the front line with a ton of depth at the outside hitter and middle blocker positions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I've been following volleyball-only discussions on a very popular site called volleytalk.proboards.com. There is a long, long thread covering Texas for 2017 (as well all other teams of your particular fandom). For the VERT challenge there were threads for the TX vs. FL game, pretty short-lived since we got spanked. Then for the TX vs. OR game, that thread is still simmering due to the last two points of that match. For those of you who don't get LHN, it went something like this:

1) UT leading 24-23, Oregon serving
    2) Serve receive went sideways, out towards the tables
    3) Lexi runs there to try to salvage the ball, but pulls up because of a camerman sitting in a rotating chair that's floor-level
    4) One commentator says that Jerritt, then asked the judge on his side to call for an interference
    5) That judge goes across the court and confers with the head referee, who signals a do-over
    6) The score is changed from 24-24 back to the original 24-23
    7) UT scores on the re-serve and the match is over

Many uhhh, fans of other schools, then jump in and claim various conspiracies about Texas and always getting it's way, including the 2015 playoff in Austin where FL was robbed of the ball that was clearly inbounds, when the refs ruled it out.

And then it becomes Texas fans vs. everyone else in a flame war in the thread, that is still not dying down. Here is the video in case you haven't seen it

Of course, I'm a homer and I think it's fair. I made a few comments, but then have stepped back because....you're (Texas) just not going to win when people have made up their minds about Texas.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

After this weekend I'm really excited about Longhorn Volleyball this year. I think the issues this past weekend will work themselves out in time. One of the reasons we have been as successful this long is how we deal when things are not going well. This weekend there was no panic from players or coaches. We just stuck to the game plan and everything got better. The future looks great with the depth and younger players. Asjia O'Neal, Logan Eggleston , Skylar Fields, Molly Phillips etc should make every supporter/fan smile too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for the link, Racer. I will check it out.
    Horns drop to 4th in this week's poll.
    http://www.hookemplus.com/story/29445/
    The next three games this weekend at San Diego (Villanova, Georgia Tech and San Diego) don't appear to be televised although you can follow stats through the link on VB schedule on texassports. com.

5. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Texas just looked mainly disconnected, because the Setter Shook have not been at Texas. But a couples week's
    It will get better.

6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The game against SD will be streamed off their/conference web site: http://www.usdtoreros.com/sports/w-volley/sched/usd-w-volley-sched.html

• Like Like x 1