Vic’s Texas Coaching Staff

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  2. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

I was hoping we might have a chance to see how she could thrive under Vic’s guidance. That said, I’m very excited about the core coaching staff.

3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Perhaps having been Associate Head Coach at a Power 5 school, especially with the Texas brand, will help her find a way to a coaching gig of her own where she can show what she's capable of. Good luck Jamie!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Check out Ketara Chapel (@kchapel13): Ketara Chapel (@kchapel13) | Twitter
    She is the new coordinator of player development at Texas. She was a former player & has been graduate assistant coach at Mississippi state for two seasons. Anyone know what role Blair Schaefer will take on since the coordinator of player development was her role at Mississippi state.

• Like Like x 1
  5. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I believe DOBO is the only staff position left unless they create a new position

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I assumed they were going to drop the Basketball Analyst Coordinator position held by Kelby Jones this past season - I never saw it listed on the UT jobs website.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Right or wrong, what we seem to see head coaches (in any sport) do with with their non-coaching staff positions is basically fill those "administrative" spots with former players, employees, etc. You can call them "comfort" hires, if you will; but, you do want people who you can count on to run the daily operations of your program.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

It was also mentioned yesterday that his DOBO will remain at Mississippi State, and will not follow him to Texas (she will take a different title though). She was on the national championship team at Texas A&M, and her biggest task during the game appeared to calm Vic down when he needed it.

Blair sat next to her on the bench, and would be very good in that role if she assumes it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I stumbled across a staff directory for wbb on texassports.com. It listed Vic’s daughter, Blair, as Director of Player Development and Ketera Chapel as Coordinator of Player Development. As far as I know there has not been a public announcement.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

That’s a lot of Player Development...

...stalker. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Arkansas HC pays Vic the biggest of compliments!

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

:lol:

• Like Like x 2
  13. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

These admin jobs are the lowest rung of "paying your dues" in order to get into the coaching profession. WBB doesn't seem to have a grad-assistant role that football or volleyball have.

If you watch the video that they put up for Joanne, it shows a dedicated person driving the golf car to pick her up to/from classes to practice so that she doesn't have to speed walk across campus with a heavy backpack and be late.

I used to think it was a fluff job to give someone a job, but I've come to realize they are the nuts and bolts behind all the stuff you're not privy to.

Player development includes scheduling those golf carts, checking on their grades every 2 weeks, etc...

• Like Like x 3
  14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Basically keeping them eligible, as well as feeling wanted.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Guess I missed it:

• Like Like x 1
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

No reason to doubt @justabbfan but we can consider this verification. Blair’s Twitter profile now says Texas WBB Director of Player Development.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Seems that lack of player development was high on the Aston complaint list. I guess Vic agreed.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

So I guess that means he is looking to fill that last scholarship for this upcoming season. Very excited to see who it's going to be as there are plenty of good names left in the portal:hookem::hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  20. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Kinda felt like this tweet was a teaser, similar to what the Kelby fellow used to make. Who knows?

21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The Director of Basketball Operations posting is still listed on the UT jobs website - 21 days after it was opened. It looks like Vic will be going outside of his immediate MSU circle for this hire.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Who is Sean Cartell? He has been just as busy on twitter (regarding our eventual recent verbal commitments) as Blair, Ketara, and Dominique, and pretty much at the same time (as far as following those recruits before they announced their commitments publicly). Is he a holdover from Karen's administrative staff?

Sean Cartell (@Sean_Cartell) | Twitter

23. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

I posted this elsewhere, but his Director of Basketball Operations at Mississippi State, Maryann Baker (who was a player on the title team while Vic was at A&M), decided to stay in Starkville and now takes on the role of Assistant Athletic Director of Women’s Basketball.

She must be a loyal Aggie:D

24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I took it as she got a promotion to be an Asst. Athletic Director at MSU, but Texas seems to already have several folks with that title.

25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

He’s in the media relations department, been at UT for a few years and has been heavily involved with WBB for at least 2.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  27. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Those are very impressive stats by Coach Schaefer's teams!!!!! While he has always been an outstanding defensive mind, he has evolved on the offensive end, which is a testament to his willingness to change, always seeking to get better. This man can flat out coach!!!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I’m not sure if they’re all living in the same house for now but Vic’s assistant coaches and video coordinator Dominique Dilliangham.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4