vs Tenn Tech

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by uisge beatha, Dec 18, 2017.

1. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Oh no! Not the black uniforms!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Texas outside shooting is just plain embarrassing. They are not even close on a majority of shots. Going to see a lot of packed zone in conference play and I am not optimistic that they can reach .500 in conference.

3. Walking Boss

Texas struggling. 0-7 from three, unforced turnovers. Down 10-7 with about 11:30 left in half.

4. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

0-9 from 3PT to start. Our starting point guard has 3 turnovers.

Everybody has us figured out. We won’t break .500 in the Big 12. We have shellshock.

• Like Like x 1
  5. uisge beatha

ANOTHER airball on a 3. 0-10

6. Walking Boss

Texas just throws the ball at the basket. Inside or out it doesn't matter. Still stuck on seven points. They make the football offense look like a juggernaut.

7. Walking Boss

The more I see, the less I think of Smart's coaching. The offense has zero movement off the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Walking Boss

Bamba may block a lot of shots but he is a terrible on ball defender.

9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I don't know what Shaka is teaching them about offense. "Keep shooting...keep shooting...have confidence...keep shooting!!" Really, this is mind boggling. Where in the hell is a coached, disciplined coordinated passing, cutting, pick/roll, in the paint use the big men offense.

Why aren't they playing to their strength? i just don't get it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Walking Boss

The Seinfeld offense description in football applies to basketball, it's about nothing.

11. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

What am I seeing here? 14.3% from 3PT. Good grief.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  12. uisge beatha

Wow, somehow we pulled that out of our ***. Ugly win w/ Tenn St panicking at the end.

• Like Like x 1
  13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

A tu-d in the punch bowl of a performance. Held under 50 by Tenn State; who has not won against a major conference team since 2011. Shaka Smart has a lot of explaining to do. Game summary: played terrible shot terrible lucky to win.

• Like Like x 1
  14. uisge beatha

If it hadn't been for the sloppy play of Tenn St (24 TOs?), this would have been a loss

• Like Like x 1
  15. Walking Boss

I look at what Jamie Dixon is doing at tcu and compare that with Texas not improving at all, but regressing as other teams see more tape on them, and I just don't see Smart as the coaching solution to make Texas a consistent sweet 16 team. Jones should not make this big a difference in the offense.

• Like Like x 3
  16. mars

mars 100+ Posts

I was excited as hell about the Shaka hire and thought Barnes needed to go, but I’m done. You will not find a bigger UT basketball fan than me, but this is just completely awful, unenjoyable, and inexcusable. Shaka makes Penders look like John wooden. He’s not only not improving players through coaching, they are regressing. Disgusting. Teams and players have cold shooting nights, but multiple air balls by people who are supposedly good shooters? across several games? This team makes the Balbay, Mason teams look like the Golden State Warriors. And what the hell is going on with Bamba? How hard is to teach basic low post basketball? He’s. not that frail!!!

• Like Like x 4
  17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

On another thread someone tried to explain that we are young and building a foundation. I call bullsh!t. If Shaka is building anything he's building a steaming pile of ****.

• Like Like x 4
  18. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Crap, what a performance. We run the quail offense, "everybody scatter".

Why do our players not improve, they regress. Coleman played better at the beginning of the season than he is now. He was worse tonight than he was against La. Tech. He had 7 assists and 6 turnovers.

We finish dead last in conference with this bunch. Dylan O, Simms and Roach are the only three that play played halfway descent and Roach again showed us why he should not handle the ball, Simms made some silly freshman mistakes (learn to shoot ft's).

We score 47 total points against a team that had 25 turnovers, that's right, 25 turnovers. We had 25 points in the first half and 22 points in the 2nd half. Crap.

Looks like Patterson screwed us again.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  19. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

In two and a third seasons, I’ve yet to see any real emotion out of him; positive or negative. A lot of general apathy is what I see. From him, the assistants, and from the players. Saw it half way through 15-16, going 6-8 vs ranked opponents, culminating in a heart breaking Round 1 tournament loss. Saw it all last season through the weird Mack drama, culminating in his transfer and our 3rd worst season in 110 years. I’ve seen it pretty much all this season. I think Shaka may need to learn and mature as a coach a little and spend some more time in a smaller market. This issue isn’t our players. It’s not our culture. It’s our coach.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Wow, what a great victory to come from behind to beat the mighty Tennessee State Tigers. We're talking a team that almost beat KANSAS, only losing by 36 points. They even beat almighty Kennesaw Sate on the road in an overtime thriller. Something only the very best elite teams can do.

We have such a great offensive strategy. Stand around and wait til there's 5 sec on the shot clock and launch a 3 from neverland. That'll definitely fool the other team. Shaka is a genius.

• Like Like x 2
  21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm not blaming anyone except the coaching but at the same time, I think the dead atmosphere versus the excitement we see in other venues has demoralized Shaka. I question whether or not he has his heart in it at all. He may believe the program will never be a packed house of relevance. That's on him but at the same time it is embarrassing that you can hear the sneakers squeak.

• Like Like x 1
  22. mars

mars 100+ Posts

This team lacks any sort of confidence because they have no idea what they are supposed to be doing. The game plan(s) if there is(are) any it just awful. How can the whole team have a low basketball IQ?

• Like Like x 1
  23. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Painful game to watch. Frustrating team to watch because the same issues that plagued this team last year are bubbling to surface and the Big XII is a monster conference with every game being a slugfest home and away. Texas right now looks like 8th or 9th best team in conference and that is scary.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

If that's his problem in getting himself ready to coach and the team ready to play then he's the wrong coach and/or he did a poor job of evaluating our environment before taking the job. Clearly the paycheck was the only factor for him to come here and now he has it so......

• Like Like x 3
  25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I agree. I think he will look at this as a mistake in a few years time if he doesn't already. He will head back East and think that he is where basketball is appreciated. Of course, it's appreciated in Kansas and Stillwater so it's not an East Coast thing. Clearly he has a great deal of responsibility to get this thing rolling. A poor offense scheme has nothing to do with the fans; I get that.

26. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I wonder what it would take to lure Thad Matta out of retirement...? Just kidding. I like Jim Larrañaga.

27. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

The game was so bad, worse that I thought. Coleman had his worst game of the season, even though he hit the game winner. He had six turnovers.

Our biggest big man was 1 of 8 shooting. Think about that. He shoots 90% of his shots within five feet, and cannot hit 50%. He is so weak, he gets the ball stripped
    at an alarming rate. He gets in foul trouble. If he goes pro after one season, he will sit the bench and collect a big check, but he will get manhandled the 2 or 3 minutes a game he might get to play. Or he might get sent to a D league to develop.
    Bamba is not making noticeable strides. He's not noticeably better now that he was at the beginning of the season.

Sims is gaining fast. He may be a better overall presence in the paint by the end of the season than Bamba. He can't block shots like Bamba, but he can move, he can take care of the ball, and he is getting better at finishing.

Osetkowsky is by far our best player. He shot over 50%; we lose that game without him. He's a good passer.
    Finally, we were out rebounded by Tenn State. How?? Their tallest player is 6' 9". We put three guys on the floor taller than that. Rebounding is positioning and aggressiveness. We were outhustled to the ball. We were out positioned on rebounds. This is pretty pathetic.

28. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Totally agree. I have turned on Smart.

29. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Trae Young, ou freshman guard, got 22 assists in last night's game. Twenty Two

The definition of a point guard from his teammate:
    (Playing with Young) makes everything a lot easier,” McGusty said. “You get a lot more layups, a lot more open looks, and there’s a lot less dribbling you have to do.”

He is also leading, or in top 2, the country in scoring, averaging 28 ppg. From Buddy Heil to this guy. Damnn.

For us, Jones, average 15 per ppg is sorely missed. Roach at 10 ppg is the only guard on the floor now for UT averaging double figures. If we get Jones back in time for conference, and he continues at 15+ ppg, we still have a shot to go .500 in conference. But, it is a long shot.

Without Jones, and coming off arguably the worst game of the season, our chances of beating Bama at Bama this week are not good. Going into conference off a loss, with no momentum, without a really good win to show, bodes poorly.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  30. mars

mars 100+ Posts

FWIW- the game is in Birmingham ,not Tuscaloosa. And, Bama only beat Mercer by 1 last night.

Regardless, if things don't improve drastically in a hurry we could easily lose every game the rest of the year.

Ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1