VY almost quit last year!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ravenhand, May 23, 2008.

1. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Vince has not been babied. What a joke. He's been blown up many times in the NFL.

2. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I would like to see that guy go to a day spa and receive the VY "Baby Treatment" special. [​IMG]

3. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

4. i have a wonderful idea to help improve the accuracy that his coaches and critics constantly bring up:

get him a target.

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

6. Matterhorn

Matterhorn 25+ Posts

7. Extra Large

Extra Large 250+ Posts

Vince's dad got out of prison at almost the same time that he became a father himself. Either one of those things would be a lot to deal with, he also had an entire NFL franchise on his shoulders.

That's a lot for a guy going into his second year of pro football.

Maybe if all he had to worry about was what time Nick Lachey was coming over with the teeny-boppers and beer bongs, he could have made the playoffs. What, what? He did take his team to the playoffs?

8. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

The Link

From Peter King:

"7. I think if I'm the Titans, I'm not feeling very good about my quarterback right now. Did you see what Vince Young told Thomas George of NFL.com? He said he thought about retiring after his rookie year. "It was crazy being an NFL quarterback,'' he said. "It wasn't fun anymore. All the fun was out of it. All the excitement was gone.'' He said praying "really hard'' helped him realize football was God's calling for him.

Wow. The Titans hand Young the keys to their franchise, he misses a plane to one of his rookie-year games (Philadelphia), and now he admits he thought of quitting at the end of the year? Now there's a solid guy."

>>>

I really like VY but he would serve himself better by keeping comments like this to himself. It creates more pressure and heat for him from media hacks who seem to have something out for him.

9. fall01nk

fall01nk 250+ Posts

10. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

I love Vince Young as much as the next burnt-orange-blooded poster, but I also agree that he should have kept his thought about retirement to himself. It's understandable if a young NFL player feels this way given the pressure that pro players face. But I don't think it's wise to say to the media that you considered quitting last year.

11. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Hang in there Vince. You will be ok. But you should have come back for your senior year. So should Charles and the others. [​IMG]

12. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

13. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

14. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

Sorry, but (passing) skills are more important than "attitude" in the NFL.

Let's be realistic.

15. beencounting

beencounting 500+ Posts

I am watching the start of the Rome show and ole Jimmy is ripping VY to pieces in terms of leadership qualities. I've always hated Jim Rome and rarely stumble up his egocentric show and now I know why I feel that way.

16. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Rome is an asshat.

His show's success speaks very poorly about the tastes of the American listening and viewing public, imho.

17. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

Saying that he was thinking of retiring is very self-serving and not needed. to me, he's giving the Titans and local press warning that they need to lay off him or he's taking his football and going home.

I'm sure many players get tired of the bs and have retirement thoughts every year. I don't have an issue with the feelings, but how does it help to say them? No one likes a whimer and this, while not whining, is looking down that path.

Overall I give VY an A+ but these comments are an F.

18. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

When you are making millions of dollars living the dream of millions of men and boys it gets very hard to take VY's thoughts of "retirement" serious.
    Yes, he's likely dealing with a lot of pressure and things most certainly aren't easy but there is very little
    chance that he'd walked away. Most of the few that have ended up regretting it.

For those defending VY I wonder if you were critical of Eric Crouch who did walk away? Personally, I was critical of both although Crouch did return all but ~$30,000 (game checks) of his $350,000 signing bonus when he wald way in his initial season.

VY should keep these thoughts to himself and recognize that every other rookie player in the NFL is going to through similar trials and tribulations. Be a leader that everyone knows he can be.

19. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

20. TexasTower

TexasTower 500+ Posts

Media. Hype.

21. kevinmal

kevinmal 25+ Posts

22. horns4everup

horns4everup 250+ Posts

And as for when he might retire, Young said there's no timetable.

"My goal is to win three or four Super Bowls,'' he said. "So however long it takes to get them.''

Yay Vince!!!

I think everyone is just used to the happy Vince dancing around on the sidelines. he showed how he felt then and last year he showed how he felt when times were hard for him. If people want to criticize him for that its fine, he is just being himself. Anyone could see last year how he was sad, you could feel it, and he looked so sad that I am not surprised he spoke about it. But he is still the same person who wants to win more than anyone will ever know probably. So glad to know that he worked through it because it was really heartbreaking to watch someone you love so much, clearly miserable. I am counting on Vince and Colt both having their best years ever next year.