VY

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Bayerithe, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

First play, near fumble. 2nd play .. interception.

VY needs to work a bit harder. [​IMG]

2. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

C'mon. You can't judge him on just two plays. That's just stupid.

3. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Its tough coming in cold as a backup, but VY has to take advantage of his opportunities... Of course, dont let his 30-17 record get in the way.

4. BurntOrange4ever

BurntOrange4ever 250+ Posts

5. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

He's a well-paid pro. I saw the pass. It wasn't even close. He'll be lucky to be a backup if that's how he responds to playing time.

6. tsquar

tsquar 250+ Posts

^^^
    This. I'm a big VY fan, but I'm afraid he's not taking full advantage of his opportunities. And, the Eagles' offensive line's inability to pass block doesn't help matters.

7. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Put Kafka in!

8. gasemitter

gasemitter 100+ Posts

The most idiotic post I've seen in a long time. Congrats!

9. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

10. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

11. ThxALUMS

ThxALUMS 100+ Posts

Who's this Imposter VY sucking it up and looking like 2nd string crap
    Hamstrings,.. INTs the NFL bench has made him lose a step. DAMN oh well we'll see next season OR not!

12. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

VY is finished as an NFL starter. He doesn't even look like he cares anymore. That doesn't change what he has done in the past, but waiting on him to resurrect what little pro career he has left is foolish.

13. non_sequitur

non_sequitur 250+ Posts

Dream Team!

14. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

you can't lean on a 30-17 record to become a starter again somewhere in the league. The NFL is a "what have you done lately" league, and Vince isn't taking advantage of opportunities. Unfortunately, he has the Fisher debacle working against him, so he needs to wow GM's with the few chances he gets.

15. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Although you may be right, those two plays are not near enough to tell if he is a failure or not. Just like if he would have thrown for a 1st down in those two plays means he has to start somewhere.

16. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

never did i say "failure" ... just that he needs to work harder.

17. hornarama

hornarama 100+ Posts

VY is 10 times better than Rex Grossman and somehow Grossman was starting. Also, Vick has been turning it over quite a bit himself. And look at Romo,...funbles and throws intercepts all the time in critical situations.

Just saying, NFL QB is a tough position and most throw interceptions every week even when they have practiced with the starters. While VY didn't do himself any favors with throwing a quick interception, I agree with others it is ridiculous to try to analyze his playing with his first game plays in a year with players he hasn't practiced with.

18. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

19. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

"VY is 10 times better than Rex Grossman and somehow Grossman was starting."

See... I've heard stuff like this over and over again, but Rex Grossman has been to a damn Super Bowl. Was he there because of his awesomeness or because the Bears had a good defense? Exactly. Did VY have a 30-17 record because of his awesomeness or because the Titans had a good defense?

The only times in his career when he was even semi-serviceable were coming off the bench as a rookie and his "hand-the-ball-off-please" seasons of 09-10. He is not a good pro QB. The best college QBs to play in 2004-05 (Young and Leinart) just don't cut it in the NFL. It's not damning of our program in general... it's just that he's not a good QB.

20. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

21. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

At this point, you can believe one of two things:

1. NFL coaches and personnel people generally know what they are doing and want to win. They run billion dollar enterprises and are the most highly compensated people in football. Idiots are weeded out quickly, and intense competition will seize upon and exploit any conceivable advantage. These people have broken down every frame of every game VY has every played, and analyzed his on and off the field professionalism, leadership, and demeanor, and have decided that he is not good enough to be a full time starter in the NFL (at least as the game is currently played -- see comments below). And they are probably right.

Or...

2. VY is awesome, and his record shows that he is a Top 10 QB. The only reason he is not leading some team to the superbowl is Fisher screwed him over, and has convinced every other team not to sign him either, either because they like Fisher so much they'd rather lose than sign VY, or because Fisher is just so convincing they won't believe their lying eyes when they watch the film.

95% of pro football fans fall into group 1. Most UT fans probably do too, but some are still in Group 2.

For my part, if I owned a team, I'd sign VY, Tebow and Brad Smith, hire a coach that will run a zone-read/spread system (i.e Utah circa 2004, Texas circa 2005, Florida circa 2008, Nevada circa 2010), and try to prove that you can make the offenses that dominate in college work in the pros (I'd sign all three of those guys so I can have backups in case of injury). I'd give it 3 years, and if it didn't work, I'd cut all three of them and draft the next Andrew Luck and start over. I am convinced that VY can do in the pros what he did in college, but only if his talents as a run threat and a roll out passer are fully exploited. At least its an experiment I'd like to run if I were a billionaire.

Regardless, until that day comes, VY will be a backup. He will never be a "plus" pocket passer in the NFL, so until they break that cookie cutter he will probably hold a clip board for the rest of his career.

22. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

23. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

His 2010 passer rating is one of the biggest jokes. 10 TDs in 8 games doesn't cut it for a top tier passer. It was inflated because he handed the ball off to one of the best backs in the league and used play action for short and predictable gains. And if that doesn't do it for you, he was 4-4. So if the "30-17" arguers want to use that, then I can use his rating for the other years he was in the league.

24. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

VY was never a prolific passer while amassing that 30-17 record. Not only that, he never showed much progression. And QB ratings are highly overrated.

I do think that CJ's best years are behind him without VY. I think to some degree it's already been made clear. They really worked together. And I think Vince got screwed by Fisher a couple of times. But he reacted so poorly to it both times, and had a few other braindead off the field issues that, when combined with his lack of development passing, it renders the 30-17 record mostly useless in the eyes of a GM.

25. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Horns11,

I get tired of people talking out of their ***. So you want to dimiss his 2010 stats only. You realize that his passer rating is better than some NFL HOF QB's at this stage of VY's career? Example, John Elway after his first 5 years had a QB rating of 70.22 vs VY who has a 76.74. I'm not saying he's going to be a John Elway, but it's flat out stupid to say VY can't be a pocket passer.

As far as the best RB in the league goes. Chris Johnson's best year was 2009 and VY started the majority of those games. He averaged 5.6 and now he doesn't have VY and he's averaging 3.0 per game. Also those other years his numbers were worse when Kerry Collins was in vs VY. Travis Henry went from 3.2 ypc to 4.2 VY's rookie year. So you tell me who's in the line up helping who more?

26. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

27. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

28. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

29. gasemitter

gasemitter 100+ Posts

When someone poisons the well (like Jeff Fisher), we shouldn't be surprised that people are hesitant to drink from the well.

My understanding is that there were other teams interested in VY (most notably Miami) but he chose to go to Philly because of what they did with Michael Vick.

next...

30. gasemitter

gasemitter 100+ Posts

An assertion was made that VY benefitted greatly from the dominating Titans defense.

In the four years VY played an appreciable amount of time, the Titan defense (in yards allowed) ranked:

2006 - 32nd Dead Last
    2007 - 5th
    2009 - 28th
    2010 - 26th

One good defense out of the four.

...taking candy from a baby...