Wangmene in uniform

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by mars, Mar 11, 2009.

1. mars

mars 100+ Posts

Anyone know why Alexis is in uniform? Any chance he could play this year?

2. busterbrown16

busterbrown16 1,000+ Posts

That would be silly to play him now. Pobably just well enough to practice and warm up with the team so he is wearing a uniform.

3. mars

mars 100+ Posts

It would be silly unless he already played so much early in the year that he can't use a redshirt this year anyway. Just interesting...

4. busterbrown16

I did not know he had played earlier this year. I thought they were trying to redshirt him. My bad, if that is the case.

5. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

Medical redshirt. He only played a few games.

6. busterbrown16

That's what I thought. Thanks for clearing up, Nordberg.

7. mars

mars 100+ Posts

I knew they were going to try to use a medical redshirt on him, but just didn't understand why he would bother suiting up. THis is the first time since he was injured that he did. They surely wouldn't burn his redshirt now.

8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

It wouldn't be a medical redshirt, it would just be a redshirt. If he wanted to be on campus for a 6th year, then he could try to turn it into a medical redshirt.

9. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

He played the first few games of the year, and was then hurt.

10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Being hurt has no immediate bearing on the status of the "type" of redshirt. It's the same as if he played a few minutes in a few games, and then stopped playing without being hurt.

There's a math formula for each sport as to how many minutes or plays they can be in and still qualify for a shirt. I'm fairly certain that Wangmene played less that the limit.

It would only become a "medical" redshirt if he wanted to apply for a sixth year.

11. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

12. jhwutx

jhwutx 100+ Posts

Is there some tournament rule that says you have to be "in uniform" to sit on the bench? No street clothes?

Just guessing.

Obviously, they didn't play him, probably never intended to....and probably will not at this point.

13. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

14. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

15. bevocbs

bevocbs 250+ Posts

Who determines whether a player gets a medical redshirt? Do both the NCAA and the conference have to grant the extra year? Many of the news reports I saw said the Big XII granted it, but I assume that is only after the NCAA? Can the NCAA grant, but the Big XII say no?

16. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

From what was posted on another board, conferences grant medical redshirts and the NCAA grants a 6th year of eligibility. So Wangmene's came from the Big 12 and Shipley's came from the NCAA.

17. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Well, the NCAA sets the maximum percentage of a season in which a player seeking a medical can participate.... pretty sure it's 25 percent.

So if a football player is injured within the first three games and doesn't come back, he's good to go.

If the percentage produces a not-whole number, it's rounded up.