Was I rude and insensitive?

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by smwhorn, Nov 16, 2008.

1. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

I was sitting next to my 13 year old son as we were watching the soccer game before our game. We were sitting next to two soccer moms whose sons were playing in the game. After about 30 minutes, my son leans over to me and says something like "Dad, those two women won't shut up. They have talked the entire game. They're not even watching them play."

I said something like "You better get used to it. If a woman is awake, she is probably talking, and some of them even talk in their sleep." He looked back over at them (they were still talking -- loudly) and he just shook his head.

Am I setting a bad example? [​IMG]

2. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

No. You're keepin' it real.

3. Math Mudrat

Math Mudrat 250+ Posts

4. HornBud

HornBud 2,500+ Posts

Not at all. It's just a shame they were too involved in their own conversation to have heard you, that would have been a great reaction.

And btw, one of our great DE's played soccer as a kid, and he's currently playing on Sundays.

5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

IMO no. Without poisoning the well, I have had similar conversations about "womens" with my 16 year old son the last few months... just reality stuff.

6. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

I remember going with my best friend and his Dad to a Rangers game when Nolan Ryan was pitching. it was a sellout and we were having a tough time getting a ticket...

him "******* woman shouldnt be allowed to attend games like this, they don't even give a **** one way or the other"

7. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

8. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

Texanne:

I think your reply was rude and insensitive. [​IMG]

9. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

I think you were kind.

10. RoundhouseKick

RoundhouseKick 250+ Posts

If there's one thing on this board I could do without, it's the woman-hating stuff. It reminds me of the movie "Say Anything" (I think) where a bunch of 15 year-olds are standing around in a parking lot because they can't get any action, saying "******* man, *******!"

11. Not that Bob

Not that Bob 500+ Posts

I don't see anything that rises to the level of "hate" on this thread. Jesus, that word is overused.

12. LonghornLayla

LonghornLayla 25+ Posts

It may not be hate, but there are things in this thread that comes off as sexist and stereotyping.

Why do you even care if the women weren't watching the game? It's kids soccer, not Texas football. Game crowds are noisy, people talk.

I'll be honest in that seeing threads like this make me disappointed in how many men still view women. I hope I'm wrong.

13. veggieboy

veggieboy 500+ Posts

"So, if you guys know so much about women, then why are you all hanging out at, like, the Gas N Sip on a Saturday night?"

"CHOICE, man. Conscious choice!"

14. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

the conversation will continue on cell phones in the parking lot and in traffic

15. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Nothin sexist about it. I just have a problem with noise pollution.

Go green, ladies. [​IMG]

16. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

You missed an important opportunity to educate your son on how to deal with this problem. Why didn't you impart your years of experience upon his impressionable young mind instead of merely observing the situation?
    And while you are at it, let the rest of us know what to do.

17. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

Accuratehorn:

At the time, I pondered the opportunity to impart some learned wisdom upon him. I thought very seriously about telling him that, in fact, female human beings are dreadful and detestable creatures who will search for any available opportunity to break your heart, kick you in the nuts (both literally and figuratively, and ruin all aspects of men's lives. Instead, I simply replied as I detailed in the OP. I thought at the time that 13 years old may be too young to impart this sage advice upon him. Did I screw up? [​IMG]

18. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

damn I just told yall what my friends Dad said.

I was annoyed one time at a Cowboys game. I paid over $120 to sit in the endzone nose bleed section during a Dallas vs Redskins game. A family of four was sitting in front of me. The little girl (around 10yrs old) had her face burried in a book the whole game.

When I was 22, (13 yrs ago) $120 was hard to come by. I couldnt beleive that little girl was burning up that seat. Take somebody that cares/ wants to go.

19. bevosayshi

bevosayshi 250+ Posts

20. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

Venus and Mars. Make no mistake that it exists. No matter how close we get to understanding each other, the gap will never close completely.

But me luv's my girl cuz she at least knows the story. Flash back to the George Strait concert last January. Little Big Town doing warm up. We got two jabber jaws next to us making it real difficult to enjoy a good four part harmony band. She saves me the dishonor of being such a sexist pig by doing the dirty work for me. She simply leaned over and, in her most lady like fashion, tells them to "shut....the f**k...up". They did.

21. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Upon reading smwhorn's initial thoughts on advice to his son, I feel he showed great restraint, and was not rude and insensitive. And SunBurntOrange should be nice to his girl, a definite keeper.

22. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts