We are now the "Kansas" of the Big 12

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by old65horn, Nov 14, 2021.

1. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

That hit me after we failed to stop Kansas in the red zone for the 7th time. We are now the laugher on everyone's Big 12 schedule.
    Yes, KANSAS had 7 red zone chances and scored TDs all 7 times! we could not hold Kansas to a field goal ONCE IN 7 CHANCES. KANSAS had 17 3rd downs and converted 11! When we did stop KANSAS on 4th and 1 on the 35 late in the game, Coburn gets a personal foul and pushes us back to mid field. How many of you could not believe it when there was not a penalty on us when Jamison returned a punt to their 30 to gives us a glimmer of hope, surely the refs missed an opportunity to screw Texas one more time. They would make up for their oversight in OT by failing to call an obvious hold out in the open on the 2 point conversion. The biggest upside for me moving to the SEC, is no more Big 12 refs. Back to the game, when we score first in OT, Washington intermediately put the beleaguered defense in a bigger hole by getting a unsportsmanlike penalty for hot dogging. DKR used to say that when you get to the end zone act like you have been there before. The only personal foul I do not mind was the one on Karic, he was defending a teammate and another screw job by the Big 12 refs. Karic did not instigate the melee, a KANSAS player did. Should have been offsetting. Where was the PI penalty when a KANSAS DB ran over, and injured, Worthy? Our OL is getting other players hurt. I am sure Robertson has a broken wrist when a KANSAS DL was in the backfield as soon as Robinson took the hand off, a common occurrence.

I am to damn old for this crap. I have watched my last Texas football game.

• Like Like x 3
  2. EMJ426

EMJ426 250+ Posts

You are pretty spot on. I think I saw a smirk on the Refs face a couple of times. B12 officiating is horrible. I guess I never noticed it when we were winning, because we were able to bounce back. I think if by some miracle we pull out the next two games, Sark should decline the Bowl game. This team is not deserving of one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Are you guys seriously blaming any part of a loss to Kansas on the refs? F*ucking Kansas?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  4. William Bush

William Bush 25+ Posts

Yeah, its the ref's. Couldn't possibly be the coaching, AD, players, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Can’t believe we woke up to nobody fired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

absolutely not. The Texas football team is responsible for the loss. You need to read the total post rather than just pick out a line or two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I did read your entire post. That's why I said "blaming any part on the refs", which you obviously are.

8. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

You never decline an extra 15 practice sessions.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

5-7 (at best) will not get you a bowl bid so no worries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Bowl game? lol

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

If we are Kansas, does that mean we get Miles Keough’s horse? That would be nice

12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Hope still remains that our coach might still live up to his “7 win Steve” nickname. If we beat KSU and WV, and win a bowl game…

We can hope…

• Like Like x 1
  13. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Obviously, you must have missed the the stats about the horrible defensive stats about unable to hold Kansas to a FG in the red zone. You only commented on my Big 12 refs part. I am tired of the Big 12 consistently not calling fouls equally on both sides. That has been a consistent theme year after year.

What is obvious is you pick out something you could disagree with and that is your right, but do not tell me what I obviously think. I DO NOT think the refs were a factor in this football game, have they been over the years, absolutely and it has not even out over time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  14. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Evidently you feel they played some role in the loss, otherwise, why did you mention them at all?

15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I thought the refs were horrible.
    So that affects the game in some way.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

You must have missed this:

"I DO NOT think the refs were a factor in this football game, have they been over the years, absolutely and it has not even out over time."

I will give you this, when I posted the part about Jamison's punt return not being canceled because of a holding, block in the back penalty that the refs were calling because of bias. I was not. The fouls were real and should have been called. I meant that was unusual for the special teams not to comment a bone headed play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. NM fan

NM fan 25+ Posts

I blame it on the fans!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

I saw the blown/questionable calls last night as well. Had a feeling we'd get some blowback for going SEC. Somewhere, Mark Mangino is smiling.

19. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

No, I didn't miss it because that statement was not/is not in your original post. You complain about the refs throughout your post, then in a subsequent post claim to not think the refs were a factor. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. If you want to blame any part of this abortion on the refs, feel free to do so. We'll just disagree. As I said,

20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I have no idea about a "conspiracy" among the refs to make up calls against us, nor against ou. The calls last night were questionable at times and we were held to a higher standard that KU. Are the B12 conference head honchos trying to make us look bad since we are going to the SEC? Are they asking or telling the Refs to be hard on us? I won't rule that out, as the odor does have a foul smell.

I do believe that we have underachieving players on the field and some that have not bought into Sark's system. Maybe they miss having old "kissing Tom" as their coach. Who knows. But, what we see is a group (as a whole, but there are exceptions) which either doesn't want to play for Sark, or are rebelling against the the program and why I don't know, or are not as skilled as they appeared to be when recruited. Neither of our QBs are stellar, and the better of the two, Thompson, is playing with an injured thumb/wrist on his throwing hand. Card, on the other hand, is not capable of consistently performing at the level we need to see.

Our D is poor overall as evidenced by the inability to stop KU's scoring drives. Our DC has to be frustrated as hell! I know I would be, and I'm glad I'm not in his shoes. My one hope is Sark has recruited new guys that first of all, want to be here and show their football skills, are "hungry", willing to learn and can execute a game plan. So far, I'm not seeing much out of this group as a whole.

When I see subpar play on the field like the defense exhibited last night, and players that are merely going through the motions, this picture pops up in my mind, and it will always be there:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I’ve seen talent laden teams fall apart before. It happens somewhere in college football every year. There are examples galore in high school every year.
    Lots of soul searching ensues and new players come in and ships get righted

this season reminds me of 1965-66-67. What came next?

If winter comes, can spring be far behind?

maybe and maybe not

I’ll be renewing my tickets next year

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

This could only happen if the team had a will to win. It is obvious they don't. The dark culture still has hidden burning embers. Until that is snuffed out we will always be a middle-of-the- pack team or worse. And the scary part is this may go on for years.
    Go Dallas Cowboys

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Shogun,

We played such ****** football that we didn't need any help from Dave Alvarez and crew, but they aren't worth a ****. Another BigSky reject group from Walleye Burks. Why is he in the Big XII? One of the reasons is that Arizona HS coaches don't want him officiating their games. Kinda the same scenario as Reggie Smith in Philadelphia, Dan Romero & Walleye in California.

Calls & no calls were horrid, but I cannot blame the loss on Alvarez as badly as I'd like to. We all know (or should know) what the problem is. I applaud Sark for his "everyone deserves a second chance", but some offenses are so egregious a "cut bait" would have been much better for the program.

24. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

No, we are not Kansas

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

whenever I see a team fall apart I think back to something Bill Curry said during a broadcast he was the color man on: a player made a really dumb mistake, blocking from behind on a return or something like that, and the play by play guy asked in exasperation why he would do something stupid like that.

Curry said it was because he was a teenager and he was excited. Lots of wisdom there.

When I was a baby lawyer I had a couple of bad outings in my first jury trials and went to my boss and offered to resign. He said to relax a little. It took a little time but not much and I felt more at home in a trial than anywhere else.

We forget that these are a bunch of kids who have been getting praised to the heavens ever since they started playing and now are meeting with unexpected companions----adversity and failure.

Sark is familiar with those two and probably has some ideas about how to deal with them. We should be patient

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Please. Kids. No, they are not kids, and they were in game number ten of the season against Kansas. They have most likely been playing football since the age of 7 or 8, real kids.

They are men and should act like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

But, HIC, they are "misunderstood".

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Right. When they do West Mall stuff, they are men exercising their rights lol, but now they are kids again.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

That's right! We have more money than them! :idk:

30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We're also good at basketball. KU similarities all over the place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2