We Own the Night...

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by unpaintedhuffhines, Feb 29, 2008.

1. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

this movie was insultingly bad

horrible direction, acting and writing

good lord, that was a waste of 2 hours

2. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

That is what I have heard, crossed of my list.

3. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

he first scene where Joaquin makes out with that hot Latin gal (name escapes me) is the best part of the film and goes downhill gradually, then suddenly. I turned it off about an hour in.........just awful.

4. gobears92

gobears92 Guest

I- actually- own the night....took out a patent out 4 years ago..

5. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I just happened to see this last night and despite the poor ratings for it, I was still surprised that it was as bad as it was - especially considering that it had some pretty decent actors in it. The plot was predictable and the dialog was embarrassingly cliche.

The chick is Eva Mendez.

6. unpaintedhuffhines

7. I_Live_In_OK

I_Live_In_OK 500+ Posts

If there's something worse than a movie w/ no name actors being ******, it is a movie w/ big name actors being ******.

Pretty much I refuse to acknowledge this film exists.

8. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

Until seeing this movie, I didn't believe that a movie could include Robert Duvall in the cast and still be bad.

I am now a believer. [​IMG]

9. KingKoopa

KingKoopa 250+ Posts

absolutely terrible.

SPOILERS

i have not, in recent memory, seen a movie with a more ridiculous ending. there were 50 ******* cops there by that warehouse, and instead of surrounding it, they fire at the building with shotguns from the field with zero visibility? then they let joaquin, a conditional officer (?!), go by himself into the field to get the bad guy.

steaming piece of ****.

10. madscientist

madscientist 1,000+ Posts

11. Hes not here

Hes not here 100+ Posts

The "conditional cop" part of the movie is actually accurate. The PC has that power and has done it for years. Every academy class the department will take roughly 20-30 recruits and throw them into an undercover detail because of a specialized skill (95% of the time a foreign language skill). No formal training or anything. They aren't allowed to carry a firearm, and more or less are informants sworn in as cops. They are an inside track into a priority neighborhood, a product of the crazy diversity in the city. The deal is they get their gold shield in 18 months, and there after have to go through the 6 month academy like everyone else. Which is what Phoenix did in the film.

The problem with the movie was it tried to cover too much, and then had Phoenix's character step into an unrealistic and ridiculous situation at the end. The reality is he would have never been there, ESU would have smoked the Russians before they even got going, and they would have made damn sure to have done it when the kids weren't around. Ponytail russian would have jumped ship before the ending as well, and no way in hell he goes to the hospital without a convoy. Oldest trick in the book. I liked the movie until that point

12. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

This movie is so bad that I feel it's my civic duty to spend my spare time hanging out at Blockbuster to warn prospective renters just how much it sucks.

13. MoJames

MoJames 25+ Posts

Just watch the first 5 minutes, then you can turn it off.

14. bobtheking

bobtheking 100+ Posts

Hmm well I was gonna watch this within the week. Guess not now.

15. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Thank goodness I've never even heard of this film.

But I second the thought about Robert Duvall. He makes every movie he's in better just because he's in it.

16. texashorne

texashorne 250+ Posts

Was it any thing like "The Yards"? Alot of the same actors and vibe. I though it was some kind of sequel when it came out.

17. unpaintedhuffhines