well, they admitted the wife to the hospital today

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Hayden_Horn, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

i'm sitting here waiting on my in laws to come fetch me. she's exactly 2 months away from her due date, which coincides with the date my first son, hayden, was born. jack, the second son, apparently already wants to emulate his older brother.

she was in for a regular checkup, and her blood pressure was high. i don't know how many of you remember the story of how hayden was born, but it was because of pre-eclampsia. i'm sure i misspelled that. whatever. essentially, its a condition of dangerously high blood pressure, and the only cure is to have the baby.

good news is that while hayden was 2 pounds 14 oz when born, this baby apparently outweighs him - 3 pounds 5 oz estimated last week. other good news is that we aren't talking a dire emergency situation here like last time. she's being monitored and checked and poked and prodded to make sure everything is going well. fetal monitor is on, and the baby looks great, according to the nurse.

she's in for a 24 hour observation. i'm hoping it won't be longer, but at the same time i hope it is. we're messing around with some serious **** here, and i feel a hell of a lot safer with her being monitored in the hospital.

in any case, my second boy might be on the way, might not. i'm not much into prayer, but the wife is, and a lot of you are, so i figure it can't hurt if you want to do that.

smoke em if you got em.

2. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

Thoughts are with you and the wife. Hope everything works out and your second son is as awesome as the first.

3. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd 100+ Posts

Good luck. The birth of our son came with some complications and it's nerve-wracking, but medical science is a wonderful thing.

4. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

My wife and I went in with the flu and came out with a daughter.

I will be in prayer for you.

5. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Good luck. I forgot - Is Hayden 1 yr old now? How long have you been back from Japan? I guess your pic from Hawaii with Neuheisel is at least 3 yrs old now. Time flies.

6. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

heh. leach, not neuheisel. yes, that was 4 years ago. good christ, where has the time gone? this summer, i'll have been home from japan for two whole years. hayden is a year and a quarter old.

but, looks like things are going to be ok, looks like the kid is staying put in the oven for now. they are releasing her this afternoon. blood pressure still a little high, but constant, so she has a doctor appointment on wednesday. gonna be released on what i'm going to interpret as bed rest. as if bed rest with a one year old is feasible.

7. dahorns

dahorns 250+ Posts

good luck to you and your wife, having 3 of my own, I know how stressed and helpless you can feel when your wife experiences medical issues during pregnancies...
    prayers and positive thoughts going out to your wife, you and your family

8. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

9. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

Prayers to you and your family hayden. [​IMG]

10. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

I'm glad it turned out ok. Hang in there.

11. Steinbeck

Steinbeck 250+ Posts

My wife also had a little preeclampsia this time (the first time, we had a 32-week pregnancy and a 4-pound boy, Sam, who's now a robust five years old).

My wife went in for a checkup on May 27th and between the time she went in and an hour later, things changed enough that they gave her an immediate C-section. But this one was 37 weeks, and our daughter, Lorena, came out at 5-12. She's already up above seven pounds.

Medical care is pretty amazing now. Two months early is nothing to sneeze at, as you know, but it's certainly reassuring to see what they can do.

Best wishes.

12. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

well, ****, they admitted her again this morning. blood pressure still a little high, and protein in the piss. doctor is kind of at a loss, and decided to put her back in, just in case. back to mr mom duty.

you know, the first time around, it was an emergency condition, and i didn't have time to think about things. this time its a hell of a lot more stressful. this might sound weird, but i prefer the emergency than the waiting around not knowing what the f**k.

13. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

My thoughts are with ya-- It'll all work out in the end!!

14. EasternHorn

EasternHorn 500+ Posts

HH,

Best of luck to you and your family. And I don't find what you said to be weird. I have been in situations where the doctors didn't understand what was happening....very stressful.

Again, I hope everything turns out fine.

15. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

update: still in the hospital, BP still high - doc says the goal is for her to make it through the weekend without csection delivery.

might be another little male spawn of me to terrorize your daughters in 15 or so years.

wife is a very good patient at the hospital. positive attitude, and understands everything that's going on. so that's good.

and it's raining outside in south austin. that's good too.

16. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

Good luck to you and your family, Hayden...

17. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

sitting here napping on and off with my 4 month old boy hoping things are well with the HH family. Any more updates?

18. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

Prayers to you from me and my wife as we know exactly what you are going thru.

There is a chance my wife may be in the same situation later. (she 3 months now). She also went thru preeclampsia with our first and was kept for observation for a few days as well. But what really hurt her is the fact that she had to have a c-sec at 31 weeks gestation. and my sone had to spend 5 weeks in the Neonatal ICU. My son was born 2 lbs 10 ounces, alhtough you could never tell now.
    She is being closely monitored now as to prevent this from happening again. She has lupus (but well controlled and in reemission since she was pregnant with our first over 2 years ago), so the prospects of this happening again scares the **** out of us.

19. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

whoa, ept, that's pretty much exactly what happened with my first. 31st week, 2 pound 14 oz baby boy who's doing fine now at 16 months.

so far, we don't know anything else except that her blood pressure is still high, and i'm a lousy housekeeper. she's still hospitalized and won't be released today, which means, i guess that i need to stay home from work again tomorrow. is this what normal people do? miss work? because, though i shouldn't, i kind of feel guilty/worry a bit about my job. not enough to leave my family, but i don't really have any other options. can't afford daycare/babysitter, etc, and i'm not sure that i care to.

in any case, she's getting a little demoralized, because she misses her son. i do take him to see her one to two times a day, but the hospital is about 35 minutes away, and the trips are hard on the little guy. he does love to see his mother though. and she loves to see him, so they are worth it. it sure does take a lot out of him. he's been sleeping more than normal lately. i think he really misses his mother, and everytime i go to get him after a nap he says "momma? momma?" over and over, as though he expected to go to sleep and have her magically be home when he wakes up. it's heartbreaking.

i hate not knowing what's going to happen. her blood pressure isn't low enough to be release, but she's not really exhibiting any other symptoms of the preeclampsia - headaches, urine problems, etc. she had a trace of protein in her urine this morning, which isn't alarming.

argh.

20. TXBabe97

TXBabe97 250+ Posts

HH, I sure hope everything turns out alright. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

On a side (and fun) note: I love your sig pic. If I ever get married and have kids, that's what I would want my dogs to be to my baby. A friend and protector. That's just a great picture and let's hope we see an "update" with a happy and healthy Baby HH #2 in there when the time comes. [​IMG]

21. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

HH, thoughts and prayers for you and your family. I'm sure you and your son are bonding - even though you both may get a little tired of each other! Here's to looking back two years from now and thinking how this all worked out well.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

22. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

ok, they are sending her home today on a 100% bedrest regimen. a condition the doctor laid out is that i have to be home with her - ie, not working.

my job is unhappy with this arrangement. i'm thisclose to telling them to f**k off, but then i remember how expensive COBRA is. so once again, i am tethered to my job, gritting my teeth, because of health benefits. sucks balls.

but it will be good for mrs. haydenhorn. she'll get to put her little one to bed, kiss him goodnight and all that fun stuff. i'll get stuck with the diapers and the baths and the cooking and the laundry (god help us all - she'll have to talk me through it) all that, but that's no big deal.

back to the job, though, i'm still pissed that my boss asked me "well, doesn't her mother live in town?" wtf. "yes, she does, but she works as well," was my answer. i may just have to take family leave or something. do health benefits come with that? i know its without pay, but i can deal with that. in the meantime, i'll be looking for a teaching job again. i thought i wanted to stay with my current job, but after the way i've been kind of made to feel ******* GUILTY for taking time off for my family, they can shove that job up their asses.

but, back to the wife, serenity now. her BP is still high, but there isn't protein in her piss that measures any more than a trace. so they are setting us up with a home health nurse that will come by and check her BP and urine every morning, which makes me feel better about her coming home.

i know that my boy and the dog will both be happy. the dog has taken it worse than hayden.

23. TxEx2x

TxEx2x 100+ Posts

Glad to hear that she's been released to go home. Hopefully she'll be able to relax more at home and that will allow her body to hold delivery off a little longer.
    Good luck with your work situation. It's unfortunate that all employers aren't very understanding...
    I know with our FMLA policy, you first run through your paid days (sick leave and vacation). While you're still getting paid through those, your benefits are also paid. I'm pretty sure they keep paying your benefits when you exhaust those and have to switch over to non-paid leave, though...

24. 4thGeneration

4thGeneration 25+ Posts

An employer must maintain group health coverage for an employee on FMLA leave under the same conditions as if the employee is continuously working during the entire leave period.

Please note that the employer has a right to terminate health coverage for an employee on FMLA leave when the employee informs the employer, either before or during his leave, of his or her intent not to return to work; exhausts his or her FMLA leave; or fails to return to work.

Hope that helps!

25. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Benefits are a big deal, and you should be able to take family leave in this situation with a note from her doctor, I think. Try to accomodate work, hopefully you can do some work from home.

your problem is they are so young you can't really ship them off. Any other older relatives or friends you cn beg to help you and her out for a few days?

My wife had Hellp Syndrome. think of pre- eclampsia on Steroids, with the real possiblity of stroking during delivery.... in my prayers bro.

26. diva

diva 25+ Posts

Take FMLA so your job/benefits are protected. Her dr. can sign off on it. I can't believe your job is being so unsupportive about this when her life and your new baby are at risk. Not to mention taking care of a one year old. Geez! Suggesting that your MIL should be taking care of her is totally wrong. Your wife isn't under age. You are her husband and should be the primary care giver unless your MIL wants to do it and is able to. It isn't your bosses job to suggest that. What a tool!

Prayers are with you all!

27. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

Is there any way you could work part time and maybe hire in a nanny to help your wife? It might help for you to get some adult time in too, and a Nanny would be able to really help out w/ cleaning and stuff.

Your boss shouldn't have suggested what he did, but take it as a compliment. They obviously need you. When a person's going through as much stress as you are right now, it's really not a good time to make big life decisions..

But if you want to go back to teaching, you can have my job [​IMG]

28. diva

diva 25+ Posts

Any update HH? Hope everything is goin ok. I'm sure you have your hands full.