What Austin restaurants are overrated?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Burnt Orangeman, Jul 30, 2010.

1. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

2. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy 100+ Posts

Cisco's.

I don't understand how their Migas and Fajitas are anyone's favorite, Trudy's are at least twice as good.

3. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I was a HUGE fan of Enchiladas y Mas when they were on I35 and 26th... Since they have moved they haven't seemed as good to me. Does anyone know if the peopl who ran it in the mid 90s are still the same people who run it now?
    I haven't eaten there in years, so I will just keep my good memories of what it was.

4. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

Juan has good chicken enchiladas with tomatillo sauce. I've tried other some other stuff but it was not memorable.

San Miguel is ok but more South American IMO.

Others I have not tried, what entre's do you recommend?

I guess one man's meat is another man's poison.

A story I heard regarding Ench y mas. Same ownership as Jorge's. Wife caught hubby cheating and dropped a nuke. Not only did she divorce, she went to the IRS and ****** the entire family over for back taxes. The guy is making a comeback but Hiroshima wasn't rebuilt in a day. I still love e y m.

[​IMG]

5. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

6. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

The present owner's of Jorge's are of no relation, whatsoever, to Jorge Arredondo, who founded the restaurant.

...and Fonda San Miguel is interior Mexican food...not Tex-Mex or South American.

[​IMG]

7. ChiknSamich

ChiknSamich 25+ Posts

Enchiladas y mas has much better breakfast taco than Juan in a million for me. Sure Juan has size, but it always comes out very dry and needing a gallon of salsa. Y mas breakfast tacos are amazing. Also try the regular dinner with a 1/4 lb of beef fajita on top of the enchiladas (idea stolen)

But Juan is still a decent place

8. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

Salt Lick. ****** *** sauce

9. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

id give my right testicle to be eeating at nearly every place on there but cheesecake factory right about now you pricks

Garcon, some more fried rice pls

10. pike

pike 250+ Posts

point well taken horninhongkong. We should be thankful to have overrated restaurants. Based on my limited travel overseas we should be happy with our overrated restaurants.

11. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Fonda San Miguel... I was not impressed for the prices. Sure, it is interior which is somewhat unique in Austin, but overpriced for ingredients and expertise.

And Salt Lick has GREAT but unique sauce.. GREAT!

12. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Not just overseas, but out of state! I'd love to get ahold of any of those overrated tex-mex or bbq places listed here in FL. I'd rate Trudy's as overrated but yet it'd still be an improvement over anything here.

13. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

Chuy's...

everytime i go (friend's or family's choice), i look at the menu forever.. nothing stands out there to me.

14. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

15. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

Chuy's is one of those trendy yet sucky places I hate (Z Tejas is another). Always mixing in an ingredient that doesn't belong that ruins an otherwise perfectly good entree (towit: gorgonzola steak; cilantro, corn, and tomatoes on most things). Both should be treated to a dose of Ramsey's Kitchen Hell makeover.

16. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I have never eaten at an austin restaurant that served anyhting other than mexican food until recently. When I was in school in the early 90's, there was nothing, not even a decent chinese restaurant. I was in austin for work a few weeks ago and we ate at perla's, a seafood place on south congress. I never thought austin in a million years would get a good seafood spot but tis there now. great food and atmosphere. it will be one of my regular stops during football season this fall.

17. WithoutAClue

WithoutAClue 100+ Posts

all of them [​IMG]

18. ChiroHorn

ChiroHorn 100+ Posts

Aquarelle didn't live up to the hype for us. I like Sandra Bullock, but Bess = [​IMG] .

19. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

20. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I judge Tex-Mex by the chile gravy. Don't really care that much about salsa, because it only goes on chips for me. If the chile gravy is so bad that I need to add salsa to the enchiladas, then I won't be coming back.

21. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Chuey's is one of those places I get something particular - either the fajitas or green chili steak burrito. Another is El Aroyo - always get the Tequila Chicken. Otherwise I'm not overly impressed with these places

22. stina

stina 100+ Posts

The El aroyo in Round Rock closed. I miss being able to go a block after church to get the Tequila chicken, but you're right, not much else was that great. Still, a lot of overrated TexMex places in the Austin area are better than any TexMex in any other state.

23. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

A lot of places have some very ordinary dishes, but some things that are really good. You might be disappointed if you get the ordinary items.
    At El Arroyo, anything that has the BBQ chicken is good. They have a big smoker next to the kitchen, and they smoke the chicken in there, so the BBQ chicken tacos or enchiladas are worth eating. There's some good items at Matt's.
    I don't know what to get at Guerro's and it has seemed overly touristy, overpriced and not that great the last couple of times we went there. Maybe something is worth it there, other than the people watching.
    We go to Maudes in north Austin regularly, because there aren't many other decent choices near us. It is tough to fight the traffic into South Austin where all the good Tex-Mex places are located. I get Hernandez Enchiladas, Enchiladas Perfecto, sometimes cheese quesadillas,, guacamole is good, chips and salsa good, simple frozen margueritas good, mmm, is it Friday yet?
    And Fonda San Miguel is one of the few nationally recognized Austin restaurants. As far as I'm concerned it is the best place in Austin. It is interior Mexican specialties prepared exquisitely by chefs, not Tex-Mex comfort food. I can't afford it, but for special days, it's great. That Sunday brunch they have has so many great items I think I ate 10 pounds of food, I couldn't stop myself. You want to try them all. Take out a bank loan first.
    Some people pan North by Northwest food, but I like their brewpub beers, and there is always one seasonal choice that is new. They make a good burger, and the steak strips salad is edible.

24. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

I agree... chuy's used to be good but now it's nasty.

I think Kirby Lane has gone downhill over the years.

25. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Taco Shack is the absolute suck!!

26. stina

stina 100+ Posts

There are several dishes I used to like at North by Northwest but I haven't been in there in a while. Several years back one of their ceiling fans fell on a friend of mine and she was seriously injured. I went for drinks on their patio a couple of years ago for a fund raiser but didn't eat. I think they've taken out the ceiling fans. I guess I should go back.