What do you think our Ranking will be this week?

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by cynt, Dec 4, 2016.

1. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

I know we're playing a tough preseason schedule and we're showing glimpses of improving and handling our own. However, we're losing. What do you think our ranking will be this week. I think we drop to around 20 something.

2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sounds about right to me. Tenn should drop out after their loss to BU as they were at #22.

3. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Probably in the 20 something. But, have to consider South Carolina's loss, Tennessee's loss, and our SOS so far.

4. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I think we'll be in the 18-20 range. Our losses have come to the current #'s 2, 3, 6 and 11 ranked teams. If we beat Tennessee, I'd expect us to (hopefully) bounce back to top 15 range.

• Like Like x 3
  5. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

There are losses, but they were all to top 5 teams. If we fall into the 20's I would be surprised. I am guessing in the 16-19 range.

• Like Like x 1
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We're #17 in this week's AP poll.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

That's fair - hopefully the team has gained what they needed from this and can put it to use against now unranked Tennessee.

• Like Like x 2
  8. overseasbbfan1

Agree, the ranking is fair. OTOH the Vols, who are 4-3, are out of the top 25 given that two of three losses were to unranked opponents. Of course, Tennessee is still a talented team, and will stop the bleeding at some point. We just need to make sure that doesn't happen this Sunday. I'm feeling a big home win to get us back on track!

• Like Like x 3
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Haven't kept up with Tennessee this season - they still have depth issues or did they have a big recruiting class and now incredibly young?

10. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I think we are all seeing the same thing. Based on 4 early losses.........Tennessee coming up.........and with having to play Baylor probably 3 times and some other good B12 teams.........we will perhaps have 8-10 losses this year. Our tournament seed might be anywhere from a 3 to a 5 seed. It would take an extraordinary run to end up a 2 seed. A 3 seed would mean in the top 12, and a 5 seed would mean the top 20. A win against Baylor would certainly help. With good luck (no significant injuries), and continued improvement of a very young team, the Ladies could really make noise in the tourney........perhaps an Elite 8 or better. Getting a little ahead of myself here..............there is a LOT of basketball to play but it is fun to speculate........and then look back from March to see if it turned out like you thought. I believe we will beat Tennessee on Sunday and start a winning streak at least through Tech.

11. overseasbbfan1

They have some great players but depth still an issue this year, I think. But they have signed the nation's top recruiting class for 2017.

12. overseasbbfan1

I think it's way too early to say where we'll end up seed wise. 8-10 losses is possible, but we could (and some might say, should) win most of our remaining games. Of course the Big 12 will be tough, and yes there's Baylor, but one positive is that we don't face the Bears for the first time until the 13th game of conference play. But it all starts with the Vols this Sunday, and based on both team's play thus far, we should win. Plus we get them at home. One thing is for certain, if we don't take down the Vols, we'll see our ranking plummet. We've gotten a lot of respect from voters thus far given our schedule, but if we end up with a 5th loss, this time to an unranked Tennessee team, we won't be ranked this time next week.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Tenn failed to sign anyone in the early signing period for 2016 and eventually signed a three star post, Kamera Harris, a 6-3 C who was the only HS signee for the Lady Vols for the 2016 class. She has played in three of the seven games, averaging 8.3 mpg, 1.7 rebs and 1.7 ppg. I don't think it's often that a player averages the same number of rebs as pts. They also signed JC AA Cheridene Green, a 6-3 Jr. F (hometown, London), who is sitting out this season with a knee injury, along with Te'a Cooper, also recuperating from a knee injury. That leaves only nine healthy players, including Harris.

They are not young but have not meshed as a team so far this season.

14. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

This is one year where seeding doesn't matter as much as it has in years past. I would like to avoid ND, but they are not the kind of team that Uconn was over the past 4 seasons.

15. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

We need to at least be worried about being a top 16, so we get to host!

• Like Like x 2