Whatever happened to table manners?

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by shotgun427, Feb 20, 2008.

1. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

I swear nearly nobody has them anymore. Is it really freaking necessary to make as much noise as possible when you are eating? Even girls are eating this way now.

2. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

mr. wizard?

3. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

This isn't an issue with the crowd I hang out with... plenty of table manners still there.

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Well, Miss Manners, what are some of the offenses you despise so vehemently?

5. milk_monitor

milk_monitor 100+ Posts

I once found my girlfriend eating some Asian dish with her hands. She didn't know I was home, and was very embarrassed.

6. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

7. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

Well, for one, I can't stand when people smack their food. People really need to chew with their mouths closed.

8. chillywillywall

chillywillywall 100+ Posts

i like to wear my top hat and monocle. i have table manners

9. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

I once ate lunch with a former statewide elected official. No, I will not say who. We were at a Chinese restaurant. After he finished his meal, he sprinkled salt all over his plate and mixed it into the leftover sauces with his index finger. Then licked it off his finger, and repeated the proces until all the salt/sauce was gone. Kinda like sopping up gravy with a piece of bread, only with his finger. Very odd.

I've heard Bill Clinton's table manners were so bad that his staff would do everything they could to keep him from eating in public.

10. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

*burp*...you gonna eat that?

11. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

12. HornsOverIthaca

HornsOverIthaca 250+ Posts

Yeah people chewing with their mouth open and making a bunch of noise bothers me. People who take too long to eat a meal bother me too. Not strangers of course, but friends and family. I don't want to spend 2 hours at freaking Seranos!

13. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

smacking and slurping drinks annoy the **** out of me. People just don't realize that they do it

14. horngrad03

horngrad03 250+ Posts

People who sit down at the table with a bluetooth in their ears should have a nuclear bomb dropped in their face.

15. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

Some table manners really drive me insane as well. The open mouth/smacking is definitely annoying. Also, I hate it when people make little "mmh mmh" noises when they eat. They don't even know they're doing it. Additionally, how in the world can some people sit there with half a meatball on their face an not realize it? Have they no nerve endings above the neck? And how about folks who hold their utensils with a closed fist? I would like to think we have evolved beyond Neanderthals.

Some things don't bother me, such as elbows on the table, not asking to be excused from the table, reaching (within reason), but if you're eating a meal that costs more than, say, $20, you might want to consider removing your Jack Daniels hat.

16. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

can't stand people that speak on the phone while eating. I realize your busy hotshot, but show me a little respect and don't take another bite of you samitch while we're still on the phone. Thank you

17. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

18. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

19. SubliminalHorn

SubliminalHorn 500+ Posts

You're not actually asking for permisson, just one of those courtesy things.

20. ojdidit

ojdidit 25+ Posts

How about the whole wearing your hat a the table thing? My Dad would take his off the minute he sat down, but I typically remove mine only when the food is served. Most everyone I know doesn't even think about removing it at all.

It's the damn dismal tide... [​IMG]

21. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

I assume all of you guys rise from your seat everytime a woman joins or leaves the table.

I'm big on the mmmm, mmmm thing. Sucks for you if you eat with me. I'm not stopping.

Bernard

22. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

my wife smacks her cereal and i climb the ******* walls when she does.

23. Beamwalker

Beamwalker 250+ Posts