Where will Erin Hogan end up?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by ValpoCory, Jan 12, 2008.

1. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

What a disaster.

I would have agreed several years ago about Hogan being tough to take, but he has improved his game over the years and is indeed the foundation that allows Bucky to be fun.

The AJ and Gregg show was a bust from their first tedious day talking about whether you should buy a lawnmower new or at a garage sale. The word "dude" was used about every ten seconds. Oh, and there was the hilarity of calling their female producer fat! Hoo boy, we're having fun now.

The sub-adolescent sense of humor of the adds: "liike a fly on...sugar. You didn't think we were going to use that word, did you?" Oooooo, the bad boys of sports radio have arrived! Soon they'll be stealing pies from window sills and tying firecrackers to cats' tails. Sassy!

As I said on another board about 1300, they should have tweaked the Kevin and Chad show instead of dumping it. At least there was a little bit of fun in that show.

After killing the Afternoon Show, they should have left Chad with Craig Way after the experiment. Somebody has to be there to interrupt his interminable circumlocutions before getting to a simple point. One of the producers who left before the guys came was pretty good at nudging Craig, but I find myself yelling at the radio when a simple question I'd like to hear answered turns into a twenty minute background review before getting to what I wanted to hear.

There, I feel better now. It is probably good that they've wrecked the Zone. I don't need to be listening to sports radio so much anyway. I'll give them another try when football season starts up again.

2. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

3. Vibro_King

Vibro_King 100+ Posts

I once talked to Craig Way for 10 minutes about how bad the Atlanta airport is. That'd be a good show.

E Hogan always sounded like he had a put upon voice. The Schoening - J. Ward show was the best in the 90s.

Henson and co. were of course a disaster.

4. hornbanger

hornbanger 25+ Posts

does anyone remember, there was a guy who would call during the Bucky Blitz and always announce "rainbow hogan takes it in the pooper" ?

hilarity

5. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

6. Heretic Horn

Heretic Horn 250+ Posts

Well hell, that sucks.

7. phdhorn

phdhorn 100+ Posts

Henson was a waste of radio waves. Buh'bye don't let the door hit your *** on the way out. AJ seemed to have "gotten it" a little and actually impressed me a little more with his sports takes. He proved to be fairly well prepped for upcoming games (citing key players, strategies, etc.). I kind have gotten to like him, so shoot me I guess.

Hogan could get a little tedious but he was a polished professional. However Bucky makes the show work personality wise. The jabs at him, his off the cuff takes, self-depreciating humor (I'm not sure most people would tolerate the "black" stuff like he has) and surprisingly good predictions (and reasons) for games... Bucky is more knowedgable than he lets on. I think the radio suits know that and have given him a bigger contract than Erin.

Wonder if Bucky would flip over to 1530 within a year and re-join Hogan if he goes there. Also I could see AJ possibly doing mornings with Bucky (shoot me again, I think he could work okay there).

Finally, I know we all have our likes and dislikes, but please never, ever bring Chad back for talk show hosting. He's good calling games, but fingernails on a chalkboard are more soothing than his high, eerie-pitched voice. Plus he never shuts up once he gets going! Take a breath dude! I don't miss his show because it was just a re-hash for the 3rd time of the main sports events already discussed that day on B and E and Rome. Anyway, I thought Chad sucked (Way is okay I guess, he has his Orange Pumper audience, but he's way too boring and Longhorn-centric for good talk radio).

B and E was the best show by far on 1300, too bad it's due to go, but everything moves on. So be it.

8. jthomen

jthomen 25+ Posts

To Loopy & #3...

I think we all feel the same about Henson. The guys sucked and nearly burned the place down, but give the guy a little break. Check out his blog, because he is being seriously harassed and that really sucks. Seeking out his new endeavors just to give him your peace of mind is not cool. Anywyas... Hook 'em!
    gregghenson.com

9. taco

taco 250+ Posts

I bet he goes to 1530 and Bucky eventually follows.

10. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't know why you think that assclown Henson should not be harrassed, nor why you think he needs "a break." He single-handedly ruined Austin sports talk radio. I would expect a lot of people are mad, and are going to express themselves.
    Erin hinted this morning that he would remain in Austin, is not selling his house, and had opportunities to consider. There was even the tantalizing remark, "perhaps we (B&E) will be back together at some point."
    Does this mean 1530 is going to sign Erin to do a morning show, and will attempt to sign Bucky as soon as possible? I think it could mean that. Time will tell. With 1530 upgrading its signal strength, signing the best on-air talent, this would be a logical next move for them.
    Too bad about The Zone, it was once the place to tune in for sports talk. Now it is the poster child for poor management of a radio station.

11. oldgeezer

oldgeezer 25+ Posts

For ArizonaHorn or Jabob: Since you guys are around there, who at Clear Channel decided it would be a good idea to bring GH to the Zone? And does he/she still have a job?

12. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

I looked at the link and agree that Hensen shouldn't be harassed in such a way. That said, I find it odd that he engaged in dialog with the the guy for so long and then posted the call on his site.

13. jthomen

jthomen 25+ Posts

I think the bottom line is that E will be back. He is sticking by his guns that he will resign and once they get things back on track (ie. a new program manager), they will rework his contract and everyone will be happy... at least that is what I am hoping.

14. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

15. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

16. wild_turkey

wild_turkey 250+ Posts

wtf...this is the worst news I've heard all year. I hated that Chad/Kevin got split up and replaced by Henson/AJ, which meant that I no longer listen to sports radio on the evening drive home. It's really hard to find something to listen to now, unless I just plug in the iPod and listen to music I've downloaded. FM radio sucks. I was happy to hear that Henson got canned, and hopefully they'll find a way to bring Chad back to the afternoon show. Like someone else said, I could probably tolerate AJ without Gregg, but he still isn't great.

Losing E Hogan in the mornings is horrible though. I like Bucky, but it's sometimes hard to get a serious take out of him. Erin usually provided that aspect, and between the 2 of them, they had a great show. I'll still give Bucky a chance on his own, but I'm afraid of what Clear Channel will do to fill the hole left by E.

And I'll go ahead and agree with everyone that said the 1530 signal sucks. I tried switching to that once the Afternoon Show got wrecked, but it's too fuzzy up in North Austin and Round Rock. Hopefully they can give it a boost and then I'll try it again.

17. NEBornNYBredhorn

NEBornNYBredhorn < 25 Posts

Jacob,

Hopefully the person who hired Henson was fired before Henson was. The judgement to hire GH after his stint at 1530 made no sense to me and AJ is just as bad. Unlike others I wish Greg H would have talked about Michigan football because then at least he was talking sports. AJ is as bad as Greg and as long as he's employed there I will not listen.

1300 and 1530 need to increase it's power because when the sun goes down I can't get either station.

18. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, it is a ******* radio show, why attack children?

Odd.

19. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

hey pillowpants - why engage someone via IM like that? just ******* block them from your IM, and you're finished. it's not like people are lobbing bricks at your house.

20. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Edit: The post to which I responded has been deleted by Pillow Pants or persons unknown.

21. Jabob

Jabob 25+ Posts

Arizona, not EVERY ESPN affiliate is required to carry Mike & Mike in the mornings.

Only affiliates that are OWNED by ESPN are required to carry them.

22. bighornfan32

bighornfan32 100+ Posts

Pillow Pants, try not speaking/typing in the third person. We might like you more.

23. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

i really enjoyed bucky's long reference to the Titanic and what would you do if you were on the Titanic and "that guy was playing the violin"?

i really enjoy sean, chip and john, but i can't get 1530 at 38th and mopac after 5pm.

24. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

25. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

Kind of the same deal.

I was deep sea fishing WAY west of Maui in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and my office kept calling me and I could hear them (when I answered) crystal clear.

I can't get that same phone to work in my driveway.

26. uthooked

uthooked < 25 Posts

I would say he is going to try tv, a bigger market, or possibly move to KLBJ AM. Bucky and Erin work well together, but I don't think Bucky will make it w/o Hogan. What's up with all of these radio changes anyway?

27. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

Spoke with the general manager of ESPN Radio 1530 on Friday and he said they were looking to add a local morning show to their schedule. He then ask me if I knew that Erin had resigned.
    He did not come out and say that it would be Erin in that slot but it is the feeling that I got. Would not surprise me to see him get it because he would bring an audience with him.

Sure would be interesting.

28. jthomen

jthomen 25+ Posts

Really...? You think him and Bucky would compete for the mornings? From the way they sound toward each other in the mornings this week, I would be surprised. But who knows.

29. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

ESPN isn't obligated to air Mike and Mike in the morning?

30. taco

taco 250+ Posts

if Erin goes to 1530 then I can see Bucky joining as soon as his contract is up.