Whom do the Sonics pick?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by bullseye-35, May 20, 2008.

1. bullseye-35

bullseye-35 25+ Posts

OK, so the Sonics pick 4th and KD won't have Rose or Beasley next to him.

Whom would they like at 4? Lopez? Bayless? Others?

2. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

I assume they'll look for a PG. You know Durant will be begging for them to draft DJ. They'll probably go with Bayless, but with DJ they'd have instant chemistry.

3. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

So why has Gordon fallen so much?

B/c he sucked the last month of the season?

I didnt get a chance to watch Arizona too much, so I dont know much about Bayless. But Gordon seems pretty special...

I dont think there is any way DJ goes that high. But I sure hope ESPN is wrong. I would hate to see DJ with the Bucks or Pacers.....ugh

4. denchen

denchen 100+ Posts

Picking Lopez would suck. I think Bayless is the best prospect at that spot, although I have doubts that Bayless can really play the point in the NBA. In my mind, he's a lot like Steve Francis (superior athlete that's a SG in a PG's body).

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Lopez looked like a potential real deal to me, *if* he can develop a better left-hand.

6. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

I would hope they trade for someone established. Sort of like when Chicago traded Elton Brand for the draft pick that got Eddy Curry. Is DJ really considered at the 4th pick? I thought he was a mid to late first rounder (this is before workouts though). I guess they could trade down.

7. UnBiased Horn

UnBiased Horn 250+ Posts

Majo or Bayless.

8. Michael Knight

Michael Knight 1,000+ Posts

Man I was really hoping they would be in position to draft Rose

9. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

In my opinion, they need help just about everwhere - but especially at the guard positions. First, an overview of their current roster:

Point Guard:
    Earl Watson / Luke Ridnour: What garbage. This position has to get upgraded immediately. Earl Watson could be a capable backup, but he will never play significant minutes on a championship caliber team. By the time the rest of the team grows up, he will be too old anyway. Luke Ridnour will never be a decent NBA Player and should be traded along with some draft picks to upgrade this year’s or next year’s draft.

Shooting Guard:
    Damien Wilkins, Kevin Durant (out of position)

I don’t like Durant playing the two, but Wilkins is a backup at best. I see this as a huge need for Seattle. Maybe even more so than at the point.

Small Forward:
    Kevin Durant - if playing in the correct position - has this locked up for the next 15 years. They could stand to get a solid backup in here to provide some added flexibility. I suppose Jeff Green can play the 3 if they want to go big (which is what they did to a large degree this year).

Power Forward:
    Jeff Green really showed improvement over the last half of the season. Over the last 15 games, he averaged almost 16 ppg and 5.1 rpg - including one 35 point, 10 rebound outburst. He will be a solid starter in the NBA given a little more time to grow into the game. I really prefer him at the 4.

Nick Collison is not a bad player and is still improving as well. I see him splitting time with Jeff Green at the 4 over the long haul if they can get some decent help at center. I see him as a solid double-double “glue” player off the bench.

Center:
    - Chris Wilcox, Johan Petro, Mouhamed Sene, Robert Swift, Francisco Elson

There is some moderate talent here in Wilcox. Petro and Sene both just turned 22, so who knows if they will develop. Their stats have improved gradually since they were drafted. Regardless, there isn’t a star in the bunch. This should be the #1 need next year depending on how the group develops.

The picks:
    Pick #4: OJ Mayo - He is an elite player with huge upside that could step right in and contribute. I would bring in Mayo as a SG and then move Durant to the 3. If you are drafting strictly a shooting guard, I think Mayo is the best pick in the draft by a comfortable margin.

Pick #24: Mario Chalmers - I have a feeling he will still be around in the first round. I honestly think he will be an excellent pro (possibly better than Augustin in my opinion). He is also a good defender. With Mayo and Durant, Chalmers won’t be asked to do a whole lot on offense. He is a great shooter though and can spot up while Mayo attacks the rim.

Pick #32: Ty Lawson - He would add some depth at PG off the bench and would be a nice change of pace. I don’t see Lawson as an NBA starter due to his size, but he could be an excellent energy guy to bring in for select minutes. I believe he also played with Durant at Oak Hill Academy.

Pick #43: JR Giddens - In this position, I think Seattle can take a risk on a tremendous athlete like Giddens. He can play the 2. He could probably also step in at the 3 since he plays bigger than his frame.

Pick #50, #60: Whatever big men are still available.

10. whereiend

whereiend 100+ Posts

The problem is that Jeff Green is more a SF than a PF. His back to the basket game isn't great.

That would definitely be cool if the sonics traded down to #8 or so and picked up Augustin. I think picking Mayo would work well too.

11. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I hope they end up with a big ole bag of ****. [​IMG]

12. RichUT

RichUT 250+ Posts

While Mayo could be a great 2nd banana to KD, he will never accept that role. He's a ball hogging show boat that won't accept not being the main guy on his team.

Great fit talent wise, but a horrible fit chemistry wise. They would do well to stay the hell away from that guy.

13. Eating Club

Eating Club 250+ Posts

They trade Durant to the Spurs in exchange for Finley. If they're stupid enough to move to OKC, then they're stupid enough to make that trade.

14. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

Rose is the best player in this year's draft. If he were on the same team as Durant... they would be nasty within a couple years.

15. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

Well, there's no way they are going to get Rose, so you may as well forget about it.

16. longhornfan2818

longhornfan2818 250+ Posts

17. ed teach

ed teach 100+ Posts

OJ Mayo has matured in the last month since leaving school?
    That sounds genuine.

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

^ Yeah, I'm not sure if I should be incredulous, or just adjust my sarcasm detector.

19. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

I meant more his demeanor on the court. He didn't seem to me to be a ball hog this year and really stepped up his defensive game.

20. TheContractor

TheContractor 250+ Posts

Sonics have 2 1st rounders this year (4 and 24) and 3 in the 2nd round. They have 2 more first round picks next year. They only need to jump 2 spots. Give up the #4 and #24 overall picks and 1 second round pick in this years draft and 1 1st round next year, throw in Luke Ridnour or Earl Watson. That a total of 3 1st rounders probably 2 lottery picks and at least 1 2nd rounder and an NBA player who gets minutes. Maybe this is a dream but I would at least offer Miami this. Rose is the best player in this draft followed by Beasley.

I too am not sure about Mayo’s attitude, the talent is there. The scouts will have to find out what Mayo’s attitude will be while playing Robin to KD. Sonics are a very versatile team that can play multiple positions which is great, even on the defense with the switches. Mayo cannot play point in NBA. I only saw Bayless play a few times so I don’t know how well he can play point and set up the guys. All the mocks have Bayless to sonics at #4 and most have DJ to Pacers at #11.

21. Benjamin

Benjamin 25+ Posts

i really doubt that either chicago or miami is looking to move out of their spot. more than likely, the sonics stay at 4 and take one of mayo, lopez, gordon or bayless.

i'd guess mayo at this point in time.

22. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

I personally have no problem with Lopez. I don't think he is going to be an elite NBA center, but he is already better than anything they have there.

Regardless of the first pick, I am really hoping they pick up a PG with their 2nd pick. This is a VERY deep point guard class. I would be willing to bet that either Lawson or Chalmers will still be available. Either of these guys would be a fantastic addition. It wouldn't surprise me for either of them to have at least as good of a career as Rose, Augustin, or Bayless.

23. homerwight

homerwight 100+ Posts

24. forshizzzle

forshizzzle 25+ Posts