Why can't I install a router?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Jeevsie, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

I had to install a network card and that was a hassle, but now I have a connection from my cable modem through the ethernet cable. But if I go through the router, no worky. I'm running ME with a Netgear WGT624 wireless router. I am trying to go wired to this computer, though. I've tried turning both off and powering up just the modem, then the router, then connecting cables. Obligatory --> [​IMG]

2. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

Well, first thing I'll say is that I have always had trouble with netgear. I've basically used linksys exclusively for the past 7 or 8 years and never had a problem. Supposedly their signal strength is a little lacking, but their set up is a snap.

Did you configure the router? Usually there is a web interface to set everything up for the router.

3. UTinBigD

UTinBigD 250+ Posts

you probably need to teach the router how to log on to your internet service provider. You normally just have to do this once and then it will stay logged in all the time.

Like the above poster said, it is usually through a web interface where you type in your machine IP and then configure the router.

4. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

For the easiest setup that shouldn't require you to change anything in the computer's interface, do the following:

First turn on the cable modem. When it's hot and ready (pizza pizza style), plug it directly into your computer and make sure that connection works. If internet is a go, plug your cable modem into your router, but NOT into the "WAN" port--just plug it into one of the 4 "distributor" ports. Then run another cable from one of the 3 remaining "distributor" ports to your comp, and after the wires are run you can turn on the router. Internets should be good. If nothing, click start, run, type in cmd, then enter "ipconfig /release" without the quotes and press enter BUT KEEP THIS PAGE OPEN. Entering that will kill your internet connection and should display a bunch of zeroes. After it's done with the releasing of your connection, enter "ipconfig /renew" without the quotes and press enter. If it STILL doesn't work, then I don't know what to tell you...

I suggested you not use the WAN port because (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you have to set up static IP addresses if you use that port, which basically means you need to go to each computer/network device plugged into the router and assign a static IP. There's a good chance I'm confusing switches and routers, or networking altogether, but someone else can verify if this is right or not [​IMG]

5. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

I am coming in through the wan port, so I am going to try this now. If you never hear from me again, you will know why!

6. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

This works and jcazes rocks. Now I will run the Tivo's to the router and will update you!

7. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

I may have interpreted how you got it running wrong. But:

8. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

Yep. I can't access the router with this setup. I'm gonna give it another whirl tonight!

It's not really [​IMG] 'cuz I do like learning about this. These computer devices will not win!

9. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

You probably can get to the web configuration page with either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 -
    that would be http:/ <either of the above addresses> from a browser.

NetGear has default pasword as '1234'. If that model also wants a UserName , the default will be 'admin'.

Hope this helps!

10. PiGuy

PiGuy 250+ Posts

Not to be mean.. but..

11. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

12. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Didn't the WGT624 come with instructions on how to set up your router?

If you're plugging into the router and can't even pull up the web interface, regardless of whether or not the cable modem is connected, the router may be defective.

Netgear WGT624 support page

13. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

What IP address are you using for accessing the web GUI for the router? Click Start and Run, and type in WINIPCFG and hit OK. Make sure you have your network card selected in the drop down, and look at the IP address for the Default Gateway. That is the address you need to used to access the router's GUI (assuming your network adapter is configured for DHCP).

[​IMG]

Also, you DO need to connect the cable modem to the WAN port. If it isn't working, then you either need to use a crossover cable to make that connection (available at any store that sells routers if you didn't get one with yours), or your WAN port may not be configured for DHCP. If you are getting a "green light" for the WAN connection, then the cable is correct. If not, then swap it for a crossover or standard accordingly. Once you can access the GUI, make sure your WAN connection is configured for DHCP or dynamic, and reset the connection. If it pulls in an IP address, then you are golden.

Other possibilities are that your ISP is using a DHCP reservation for your computer (likely) or even a static IP (not likely). If it's a reservation, the IP address is tied to the physical or MAC address (nothing to do with Apple) of your computer's network card. Luckily, most routers will enable you to modify the physical address of the WAN port, so you can make it match that of your NIC card. You can find out the physical address using WINIPCFG, as noted above (labeled as Adapter Address). You should see a place to enter a custom physical address in the WAN settings via the GUI.

DO NOT attempt to get the wireless working until you have a good connected configuration, as you'll be wasting your time.