Why is Saudi Arabia doing this?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Horn6721, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

As of Weds am

WTI Oil Futures Curve 2 to 10 Months Out
    CL2 $11.24 (-2.85%)
    CL3 $20.29 (+8.56%)
    CL4 $23.64 (+8.98%)
    CL5 $25.52 (+8.92%)
    CL8 $28.65 (+6.66%)
    CL10 $29.86 (+5.18%)

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

IB took losses on the oil contracts that were stuck. Positions could not be closed

" ... The price of the May 2020 contract dropped to an unprecedented negative price of $37.63. This price was the basis for determining the settlement price for cash-settled contracts traded on the CME Globex and also on a separate, expiring cash-settled futures contract listed on the Intercontinental Exchange Europe (“ICE Europe”).

Several Interactive Brokers LLC (“IBLLC”) customers held long positions in these CME and ICE Europe contracts, and as a result they incurred losses in excess of the equity in their accounts. IBLLC has fulfilled the firm’s required variation margin settlements with the respective clearinghouses on behalf of its customers. As a result, the Company has recognized an aggregate provisionary loss of approximately $88 million.

The Company does not believe that any anticipated losses will have a material effect on its financial condition."

Interactive Brokers Issues Statement on Crude Oil Contracts and Margin Loss

3. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

4. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Let’s speculate the orders are followed whether justified or not. What do you think would happen next?

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

With the May contract now gone, WTI +40%

7. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

If war breaks out with Iran it might go up 500%.

8. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

I guess it would blow the hell out of a few Iranians in their ridiculous "gunboats", and potentially turn Iran into a crazy dictatorship that sponsors terrorism throughout the world. Maybe not.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

You are truly a visionary. Way to go out on a limb.

10. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Okay Eeyore, tell me how it will end the world. I can't wait.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Is there any doubt that the Iranians are doing this? If so, I have no problem with Trump giving our Navy the discretion to do what they need to do.

12. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

13. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

You go first for a change.

14. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

It won't end the world. It will f'up some Iranians, and make them reconsider poking the bear next time. Nothing else will change.

15. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

If that were true, Trump would have ordered a military response when Iran’s cruise missiles hit our base in Iraq in January.

16. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Lol, you think they hit something?

17. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Nah. The video images and 100 concussions admitted to by Trump was fake news.

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I read Iran does this to make propaganda videos.

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I heard separately this happen in Seattle too. They were called harbor rats. Not sure if this was a Russia issue, or it coincided with massive increase in container ship movements.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We called them commie rats in the 80s

21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I can see that. They want to pound their chests. Some people speculated Saddam projected nuclear capability just to keep Iran off their ***. A bluff.

22. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Peak supply.

[​IMG]

23. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

24. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I'm sure Pompeo wants to go to war. Maybe he is trying to convince Trump that war is necessary to jump start the oil industry. That would be foolish and evil at the same time.

25. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

So we killed one of the leading terrorists in the world, Soleimani, Iran fired missiles on a U.S. base that had been largely abandoned prior to the strike, and then Iran shoots down and kills a plane with 130 Iranian citizens. All Trump had to do after accomplishing the U.S. goal was to sit back and watch as the idiot Iranians killed their own people.

26. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'd much rather go to war with Venezuela as we could then put in a friendly government and get new factories going there. Argentina is another country that would be a good place to get a much better government in place, give prosperity to the people and help them develop a stronger economy. Plus, we stomp a hole in the Che Guevara myth.

27. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

I personally prefer Italy and Switzerland because they have great vacation spots. Plus, they're an easy win on the schedule, and we could get some young guys some experience.

• Funny Funny x 2
  28. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

War, for anything else other than defending your own people, is evil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

We’ve found ways to get around that.

Humanitarian wars. You get CNN, FOX, and others to point out how brutal the ‘regime’ is to its own people. After that, it’s ok to starve the targeted country economy and bomb the hell out of it (to free the people). After that, as Trump and Bolton advocate, you grab the oil so that it can be managed more effectively.

• poop poop x 1
  30. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Mona,

You wouldn’t say that if you had ever been to Lake Como or Wengen.