Why Longhorns Are Years Away from Winning Big 12

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TNLonghorn, Jul 30, 2012.

1. TNLonghorn

TNLonghorn 500+ Posts

2. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Barring all the injuries, with the level of experience and talent on the team this year, the Horns should be much improved in 2012, but I still think 2013 and 2014 are going to be great years!

3. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

with manny's defense i dont think the horns are years off. i think they are about a year off from winning the big12.

4. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

I'm going to be laughing through the whole season, is all I can say about it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Texas, 12-0 mimics OU's 2001 season. (I think that was the year)

5. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

6. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Fortunately I'm pretty sure the games will be played on the field this season. We'll see what happens. I'm looking forward to some old school Texas Football.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

All anyone needs to know about this Shelton guy can be summed up in his comment about the Big XII being a top 3 conference.

Had the "Kansas connection" not botched the Clemson/FSU deal, as well as the ND deal, that would absolutely be correct. Having to take TCU and WVU to preserve the TV contract is a total embarASSment.

However, the waivering of WVU and the "cluster" that the other two represents have such a profound impact on the TV contract, it is not an unreasonable thought that Texas wins the Pac10 before it wins the Big XII and defintely before A&M is a factor in the SEC.

8. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm going to continue my campaign to make it a posting requirement to include a "bleacher report" tag on links to that site. Having said that, I did actually read it once I got there. i was not disappointed.

How can you make an argument that a program is "years away" when they're based on the idea that 1. their running backs are awesome but may go through growing pains this year; 2) there is a void at kicker with two highly touted freshmen coming in. Those sound to me like arguments why the Longhorns won't win this year.

9. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I look at it this way:

What did we do in 2004, then 2008, I can see 2012 being similar to those years.

2005 and 2009, I can see 2013 being very similar.

Just my thoughts....

10. SmartChicOlena

SmartChicOlena 100+ Posts

Respectfully disagree. We win Big XII this year.

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Prodigal, I wonder if they will retract their comments if the PSU kicker comes to Austin. Would that satisfy a void at kicker in their minds? Oh wait, the air or climate is different here so he may not do as well. That or some other clever excuse.

Please continue your campaign for tags on BR articles.

12. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'm not sure the conference is stacked enough defensively to counter our offensive flaws. Talking heads can write all they want about how good Jones and Smith and Pachall are, but until I see an article praising a team's defense (other than Texas or maybe ISU's LBs), then I think we can successfully use Manny to our advantage this year.

We play 5 of the bottom 20 defenses from 2011 (and 8 of the bottom 30, and 9 of the bottom half of the NCAA), including several that we had 500+ total yards against. Sure, we lost against the likes of BU and OK State last year, but it's difficult to argue that we'll be "the same or worse" at key skill positions compared to last year.

If the argument is "OU and WVU are going to outscore you and that's why you won't win the conference," then just state it. I could believe that. But to imply we're a year or years away just to compete for it is just wrong.

13. majorwhiteapples

Baylor only had 3 skills position players that were very good that were all drafted what in the first two rounds?

OSU had two skill position players that were both drafted in the first round?

I see OU and West Virginia at this point, possibly giving us some problems on Defense. A number of teams could, but at this point I don't see it.....

14. TNLonghorn

TNLonghorn 500+ Posts

15. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

The season can't get here soon enough when games are decided on the field and not in magazine stands.

Remember, no one in DC Texas Football predicted 5-7 in 2010. In fact every media outlet had them about 4th and Garrett Gilbert was going to be the next big thing after VY and Colt.

But already, I like what I'm hearing about the 2012 team. If everything we're hearing is correct, Ash(hamstring not withstanding) will make a quantum leap this year with all the offseason reps with his WRs, which brings me to my 2 point. The Frosh are apparently making a splash, especially Marcus Johnson. They seem to have great work ethics and don't bring a sense of entitlement. On top of that, we already know they're talented. RBs, no need to discuss. The O-line is somewhat still an unknown but what's encouraging is Searls is instilling a mean streak in them. In fact, we're seeing scuffles between OL and DL after the whistle and thats a good sign that both are focused.

I think the D will be vastly improved and that's scary for opponents.

Anyways, Ash rest that hammy with some IcyHot and do what the trainers tell you to do. Then show Mack why your teammates have rallied around you.

16. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

With just a little luck and the ball bouncing the 'Horns way, Texas very easily can... Uh, check that.... WILL win the Big 12 THIS year! [​IMG]

17. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

18. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

Several years is ridiculous. The article specifically states Landry Jones and Geno Smith as obstacles except that Jones is a senior and Smith is a junior likely to leave for the draft. Uhhhh next year what stands in the way even if Ash needs more experience this year?

Ousux is one choke game away from opening the door to any of 4 teams in the Big 12 this year.

19. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

20. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

I'm years away from taking Bleacher Report seriously.

21. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

West Virginia is way overrated. They barely beat Pitt last year, 21-20, and, in Pitt's next game, they lost to SMU by 20.

Texas will destroy West Virginia. West Virginia is going to be like Tech used to be under Leach.

We will win the conference this year.

22. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I don't think we destroy them, but a win in Austin is definitely in play. Their worst game was the pummeling by Syracuse (Syracuse??). They got beat by LSU but that game was similar to ours against Baylor... tons of yards with nothing to show for it because of turnovers. They beat Cincy on the road when Cincy only needed a win against them to clinch the conference. And we all saw what happened in the Sugar Bowl.

I think we'll be the most stout D that WVU will play all season. So we'll probably hold them to about 2 TD under their average for the year... about 24 points. Can we score that many to beat them? Maybe. Let's see who's injured and how our OL plays by October.

23. baoklhorn

baoklhorn 1,000+ Posts

I am with you Hu Fan.

By the way, it was the 2000 season and we have the same kind of parts and pieces in place that Ou did that year.

Ash = Heupel ?

24. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Texas is going to be very good this year. And they are going to be a great team in 2013 when all of these soph/juniors grow up and become junior/seniors in 2013. The 2012 recruiting class is sick and there are going to be some guys that show up from that class this year and make real constributions. The 2013 class is looking to be another great class but a little smaller one. So going forward the future is bright with those 2 classes alone.

Thne only thing worth discussing is that Texas has made a move away from the spread offense that made it so successful under Vince and Colt. Texas was ahead of the curve and the conference (for the most part) at that point. Since the 09 Alabama game Texas has gone to a move power offense that puts emphasis on the running game. Meanwhile the teams that have been successful as of late (Baylor, OSU) have adopted the spread offense. Texas is bulking up in the trenches and bringing in big RBs ad WRs. Texas is trying to play an SEC style of football in the Big 12. The real question is whether or not that will ultimately prove to be a winning strategy against teams that like to light up the scoreboard? Can the Texas defense hold those teams to less than 25 points and can the Texas offense protect the football and move the chains consistently enough to keep the opposing teams off the field?

25. TNLonghorn

TNLonghorn 500+ Posts

^^^^
    Great questions hornpharmd...I guess only time will tell.
    I'm ready! Let's kick this thing off!

26. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

It should be noted that Mack's not only going to an SEC-style offense. Diaz has installed an SEC-style defense, and I think it will hold up quite nicely to the spread offenses that will be thrown at it by Big XII teams.

My impression is that IF the UT offense performs as expected, it will grind on Big XII defenses, and wear them down before the second half...at least, I think that's Mack's thoughts.

27. majorwhiteapples

Everything in college football is trends, and the current trend that is successful is the SEC model. Smash mouth football with some wrinkles and a very fast defense that does not give up big plays and is going to try and confuse the hell out of the quarterback.

28. majorwhiteapples

I would say confusing the quarterback worked for us last year except against Landry, RGIII, and somewhat against Weeden. OSU caught us a couple times with our pants down in the running game.

29. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

QB is still a glaring weak spot.

30. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts