Will fans still sing The Eyes post-game even if its banned?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Jun 19, 2020.

1. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Yes. It ain't 1903 people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 2003TexasGrad

We are on the same page. The only thing I'll say that's different is my understanding is that they used the line "the eyes of Texas are upon you" because the current president went to Washington University and then president Robert E. Lee would say "the eyes of the south are upon you".... Otherwise it was written to be a school song. The fact that it was performed as a minstrel show wasn't unusual. A lot of songs were performed at those shows. In other words, just cancel everything if that's the standard.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 2003TexasGrad

Fair. LHB isn't Grambling or Prarie View A&M but in my 5 years at UT I knew a ton of LHB members and never heard a peep about any of this.

4. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

Wait, doesn't Earl know that black lives matter?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

And I was basing my estimate on the recent years when my daughter was in the LHB. The percentages might have been different when you were at UT.

6. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

Really, Earl's comments essentially express that "the eyes of Texas" was re imagined many decades ago, and in its current incarnation has never expressed anything but the unity, pride and connection felt by all longhorns for each other.:hookem:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Agreed. We wouldn't be "re-imagining" it - that was done decades ago - but just "re-emphasizing" what was already there.

Pretty much any song that existed at that time was probably at some point performed as part of the same show that also had a blackface / minstrel act as part of the lineup. And the comedic acts at those shows has influenced the entirety of American comedy from then until the present. Dave Chappelle, Mel Brooks, Marx Brothers, Eddie Murphy, etc...

• Agree Agree x 3